Anyone using Hornady ELD Match for LR hunting?

Do they make the 180 in eldx? Thought it was eldm only. 180 eldm would be my choice

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
They make a 175 eld-x and a 180 eld-m. Hopefully this will be my year to shoot an animal with the 195 and see how bad this bullet is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
They make a 175 eld-x and a 180 eld-m. Hopefully this will be my year to shoot an animal with the 195 and see how bad this bullet is.

They will work. Just not as well as a 230:) Seriously, I want to hear your feedback on how they worked for you.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
I'm anxiously waiting for an answer to this. If you were stuck with a 28 Nosler, which bullet would you choose? Even at moderate distances?

whichever bullet you have the most confidence you can put through both lungs. I have had good results with the 180 vld H. Had 1 fail to expand on a muledeer but i believe the tip was plugged. If you shoot Berger bullets check each tip to make sure it isnt plugged.
about 4 decades ago my dad and his buddy had the experience of using the 270 and 30/06 they shot subsistence elk and Bison on a reservation ( about 100 head a year for 12 years). In this large sample size the 270 w/130 speer was more effective than the 30/06 with the 165 grain speer.
A friend of mine bought a sako trg 338 Lapua a few years back and we both shot bulls through the lungs, a 7 and a 5 point at 729 yds and 840 yards with 300 Gr.SMK's the bullets did not expand but both were drt. We recovered 1 bullet that could have been reloaded again.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After reading this thread again. I want to point out I'm looking at how these bullet/calibers do past 500 yards. Becuase I think most, within reason, will do fine at the shorter distances.

I thought that was implied being in the LR forum. But I helped sidetrack the conversation too.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Happy .3/08 day:)
656faf368bdb1ac07488df1374d36af8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9AB9F4F0-1311-406F-A52E-12C59C293E6A.jpg43FDF8BF-83F3-4893-BCB8-08946F7D3E7C.jpg
Have quite a bit bit of experience with the 147’s. What are you looking for?

I’ve been shooting 140 VLDs in my 6.5CM the last several years.....I went to a long range class a few weeks ago and didn’t have time or the brass to load enough ammo for the class, so I ordered 300 rounds of 140 ELD Match ammo since they shot great in my CM during barrel break in....they’re actually just as accurate as my best VLD handloads while having more velocity and less ES. I love my Bergers and shoot them in a lot of different calibers/rifles, but as good as these ELDMs shoot, I’m thinking about trying them on whitetail and hogs. With Bergers, shot placement hasn’t mattered at CM speeds......I’ve shot deer and hogs from 100-500 yds both through the shoulder, as well as, behind the shoulder with the same DRT results. I wouldn’t even consider changing except I have well over 100 rounds left from the class.....and the exceptional accuracy doesn’t hurt either!
Just looking for more results on terminal performance, bullet placement, etc!

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve been shooting 140 VLDs in my 6.5CM the last several years.....I went to a long range class a few weeks ago and didn’t have time or the brass to load enough ammo for the class, so I ordered 300 rounds of 140 ELD Match ammo since they shot great in my CM during barrel break in....they’re actually just as accurate as my best VLD handloads while having more velocity and less ES. I love my Bergers and shoot them in a lot of different calibers/rifles, but as good as these ELDMs shoot, I’m thinking about trying them on whitetail and hogs. With Bergers, shot placement hasn’t mattered at CM speeds......I’ve shot deer and hogs from 100-500 yds both through the shoulder, as well as, behind the shoulder with the same DRT results. I wouldn’t even consider changing except I have well over 100 rounds left from the class.....and the exceptional accuracy doesn’t hurt either!
Just looking for more results on terminal performance, bullet placement, etc!

Theyll work fine. Terminal ballistics similar to Berger, with a bit more penetration usually.

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
im trying to figure out how to upload pics cause I have pics of the 208gr on game out to 700yard. actually ive got a sweet video too.

KKP

Banned
Use some sealing wax inside your seating die to form a perfect shape .

I'm running them in my 7LRM for next season but have yet to take a game animal with them. I did come across some videos and an article Nathan Foster from Austriallia who is owner of Terminal Ballistics Research. He does extensive testing on bullet performance/ killing power in game. This is what he had to say about the 180 ELDM.

"By now, many of you will be aware of Hornady’s new 7mm 180gr ELD-M. It’s the A-MAX that many of us waited several years for. Lately I have been using this bullet in the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Practical. Please take note that this bullet can develop higher pressures than the Berger VLD. You’ll get the velocities but you need to drop powder charges when starting out. If you are switching from a 160-162 grain bullet to the 180 grain, go down at least 6 grains, not simply 2 grains (based on 1 grain per 10 grains bullet as is common in the manuals and proves safe when using start loads). Start way down low, then come up. You may find that the sweet spot is 4.5 grains lower than where it was when you were using a 162 grain pill.

It is also important to understand that being such a long bullet, the tip (rather than the ogive) may contact the button of the seating stem within your seating die. If the button touches the bullet tip rather than the ogive, it will play merry hell with concentricity during seating and you will see fliers downrange. If you have such issues that need to be remedied, the options are to contact your die maker and ask for a stem suitable for match style bullets or failing this, you may need to have your existing stem altered (drilled) by a gunsmith.

The 180 grain ELD-M is a hard hitting pill. All I can say about its performance is wow. That should be enough for most of you. It meets and exceeds all of my expectations as predicted in the Cartridges book second edition which was released just before this bullet became publicly available. - A gentle stroke of the trigger results in a horrendous thump followed by two sets of hooves pointing straight up in the air. It doesn’t get any better than this.

This bullet will still deliver the goods and boy oh boy does it cheat the wind, putting a lot of other combos to shame. Dave Emary and his team at Hornady really have made an outstanding bullet.

Broz

WKR
The major portion of my personal experience with the ELD M is from the 6.5 / 147 gr. I believe when comparing bullets and terminal performance, we should be bullet specific, not one size fits all. To say "they work like a _ _ _ _ _ or a _ _ _ _ _" is a bit dangerous. A 200 gr bullet of one kind will likely have a totally different performance as the same bullet design weighing 140 gr. The OP asked " Anyone using the Hornady ELD Match for Long Range Hunting" The answer is yes, the 147 from a 6.5 PRC and here is my conclusion. Past 500 yards they were great. On an antelope at 826 yards they left nothing to desire. On an antelope at 510 they worked very well. On a Mule deer buck at 125, and a mule deer doe at 350 not so much. The thinner jacket that their brother the 143 ELD X and the tip to aid in expansion resulted in massive fragmentation and destruction. Even a prefect placement in the crease resulted in a busted diaphragm and orange acid soaked stomach contents and bile spewed all over the tenderloins and rear hams.

The short answer, for "long range hunting" by all means. For 400 and under, No not for me.

Jeff

Zed13

FNG
Tied them in a 6.5 PRC 147 gr this last year. 2 elk. 170 yards and 380 yards. both cases were perfect shots and dead elk, but once we opened them up there were fragments everywhere. about the same as described above.

mt100gr.

WKR
What would an average impact velocity be at 400 yards from a 6.5 PRC?

I'm very happy with the accuracy of the 147ELDM from my Creedmoor leaving at 2795 fps so I want to get an idea of where the velocity threshold is to dance the line between 'works well' and massive devastation.