Balancing Act

So assuming you are backpacking deep into the backcountry and are using a distance shooter (like a .300wm) for very big game...what is the the balance point where weight and accuracy meet? Seems like a sub-10lb rifle w/ scope is not possible. The massive Nightforce SHV scope on my 700 makes it a heavy field gun.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In a world with carbon stocks, Ti actions, carbon barrels, and capable scopes in the 1-1.5lb range I have to ask: are you trolling with this post? Folks are routinely putting together setups <10lb.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A Tikka with just about any quality scope is under 10 lbs.

I don't understand the question.... ;)

Ya, I was just assuming a desire for a little stiffer barrel for more stable long range (not medium range) distances was perhaps the basis but I still don't get the question. Heck Ryan's 300 project a few posts down was what 8lb and couple ounces and shooting well in the 1000-1500yd range.:confused:

A little weight definitely helps. My factory xbolt in 300wsm is difficult for me to shoot well at long range but shoots great groups at 100 yards. I like a Barltlein #3 contour as a minimum. 3b is probably more like it with a 300 bore.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If you put in the effort you can get a 9-pound rifle to shoot a really long ways.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
So for a decent rifle and scope capable of true LR performance, 10lbs is fairly normal eh? This is all new to me, not trolling.

Fire_9

WKR
For me I like a rifle to be around 9 lbs. Just enough weight that they're easy to shoot with minimal recoil but not too heavy that you hate packing it. There are lots of guys that like a light rifle and can shoot them very well but I'm just not a huge fan of them. Most guys manage recoil on the lighter rifles with a muzzle brake but I refuse to hunt with one so I manage recoil with a little more weight. Love shooting with a brake, just don't like hunting with them

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
I think this article is a good place to start. There are too many variables to this equation for someone to be able to tell you what weight your rifle should be.
How Heavy Should Your Rifle Be?
You can use an online calculator similar to this one to see how much recoil the load you would like to shoot will have out of different weight rifles.
JBM - Calculations - Recoil

There is no question a heavier rifle is easier to steady and aim than a light one. Especially if the wind is blowing and your breathing / heart rate are up. I agree with Fire9 and will never use a muzzle break on a hunting rifle again. I once had a light weight 300wm with a barrel that was to short. The recoil and muzzle blast made it a miserable beast to shoot. Put a break on it and it made the muzzle blast completely unbearable. Even with hearing protection. I am convinced I suffered permanent hearing loss from the little I actually shot it, and my hunting partner probably did as well. To be proficient at long range requires practice and actually understanding your weapon. That is not possible with something like my old 300wm.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I really like rifles around nine pounds. But I will not shoot a rifle that I can't spot my own hits with because I hunt solo a lot. So this limits me to 300 mags and under with brakes on all of them. I can't shoot a nine pound 338 because of this reason.

Bruce, I have two 28 Noslers right now that I can shoot well to 1500 yards. Both are around nine pounds. I am working on some videos now.

But here is a good video of what a light weight rifle can do. In the right hands.

[video=youtube_share;Y_wZ00PexqE]https://youtu.be/Y_wZ00PexqE[/video]

Last edited:

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
With a brake you can shoot 8-9 lb 300 mag class rifles pretty well...but then you've got a brake and all the associated nastiness of using a brake. With a suppressor you can shoot slightly heavier rifles well, def less recoil reduction than a brake, but still real reduction, and no muzzle blast, but then you've got length and weight on the end of your rifle. Plenty of 6 lb rifles out there, Tikka included, throw 32 ounces of scope/rings on and you're at 8 lbs. Me I'd go 8.75lbs and run a titanium suppressor and then you get some length out there to stabilize your offhand shots. Though you could add a brake for a half pound less and have less muzzle jump.

FWIW 90% of the rifles I build are 7.25-7.75 lbs naked. I've gone lighter and gone heavier. Seems like for your average long range shooter, 9-10 lbs scoped is a very acceptable/capable package. I've got a 9 lb with bipod tikka 280AI I hunt with, but I'm also in the process of building a 10.5-11 lb 338 Norma for hunting as well. Anything over 11 lbs sucks to pack in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
Thanks guys. Guess my rifle isn't crazy heavy after all, appreciate the link Yotekiller. Got the rifle sighted Friday and am good at 100, 200 and 300 yards, now to work on 400-600. 600 yards is a long range shot for me and even with the new Nightforce scope it's a tiny target. What kinda magnification are you using to shoot 1000 yards plus accurately?

Thanks guys. Guess my rifle isn't crazy heavy after all, appreciate the link Yotekiller. Got the rifle sighted Friday and am good at 100, 200 and 300 yards, now to work on 400-600. 600 yards is a long range shot for me and even with the new Nightforce scope it's a tiny target. What kinda magnification are you using to shoot 1000 yards plus accurately?

Most guys use 10x at 1000 Bruce. Glad to read your getting around to putting it through it's paces.

I typically use 20X+ magnification. I've used a number of 6-24x powered scopes and that's probably my favorite range. Have used 4-16X but think it's a bit weak for consistent long range stuff personally. I'm going to run a 4.5-29X Cronus BTR this year and I'm excited about it. The "aim small miss small" theory is true for long range work...

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
What kinda magnification are you using to shoot 1000 yards plus accurately?

I can hit targets with 10x but I am not accurate enough to be shooting at game out that far. At 1,000 20x is the minimum I use. I don't take shots unless Im confident its going to be lethal.

OP
Where's Bruce?
My old eyes are struggling even with the NightForce SHV 4-14X56mm scope but for everyday hunting I need a fairly wide FOV and it seemed like the optimum magnification for that. More range time will determine my outer limit I suppose. I wanna be procient to 600 yards but unlikely i would take that shot on game in the field. Hope to get comfy with 400-500 yards there. Switched from the $70+/box Buffalo Bore SUPERCHARGED 200 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2900 fps to Hornady Precision Hunter (nonlead) 200gr ELD-X @ 2650 fps which is half the price. Pretty flat shooting round and the ballistic tip (called their "Heat Shield") is supposed to improve mushrooming at extended, lower velocity, 400+ yard shots. We'll see...could be marketing hype. Figure a 200gr bullet will kill any medium or big game critter in North America.

1410991505-Precision-Hunter-ammunition-illustration---cutaway.0838bdf4.png

Last edited: