Cleaning intervals

gbflyer

WKR
You shoot a 6lb .223 in 1,000 yard F-Class and average .5 MOA for 10 round groups?

Whats interesting is all the "1/2moa all day long" rifles that people have. A couple years ago my partner and I shot a major sniper match. I shoot a reletively unique rifle and lots of people ask how it shoots. I generally respond with "about 1 MOA" as that's the truth- I can guarantee that gun will hit a 1 MOA target at 100 yards with significantly better than 95% certainty. The usual response is and was disdain for such a bad shooting rifle, as all of theirs are "sub half MOA all day long". That match had three different stages where you shot .75-1.25 MOA targets at 70-100 yards. There were three people out of 120 that cleaned all three stages. My partner, myself, and another shooter that had a "1 MOA" rifle.

It isnt a .5 MOA gun if it won't hit a .5 MOA target with every round, starting cold.

Well stated, couldn't agree more. I've got a rifle or two that cost a lot of money that will print sub-MOA groups every now and again. Could I hit a sub-MOA (or 1 MOA) target 9 out of 10 times? Not a chance. Think it's the shooter? Put it in a machine rest. It'll still miss some.

These "all day long" guys crack me up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Their guns may have been .5 minute rifles, I bet there rifles were not zeroed properly and they probably mis-dialed for such a close range. I could very well be wrong, but 1/2 minute rifles do not make 1/2 minute shooters as I'm sure you know.

Nah. I see metric ton of ammo shot a year, and no matter who makes the rifle- true 1/2 MOA guns are stupid rare. I've personally have only seen a couple that could repeatedly and consistently hit a .5 MOA dot at 100 yards on demand.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
As an aside on cleaning, etc and groups...

Both of the rifles I mentioned above were checked for zero a couple of days ago after switching lots.

The Tikka Superlight 223. 10 rounds prone, bipod, 6x SWFA, 77gr SMK. WELL over 3k rounds and has never been cleaned.

100 yards zero confirm (obviously left .2 correction)

BNdlfBI.jpg

320 yards, 1.17 MOA. 12-15mph full value wind.

Y9aTapL.jpg

The 308 Tikka MS. Actually realized this is the sixth can of M118LR put through it, as well as match ammo. That's more than 2,700 documented rounds with ever being cleaned.

100 yard zeroing. Left bottom was first 3, left top, second three, right 10 rounds and zeroed. (Also an example of why 3 shot groups, aren't groups)

LJBu3JW.jpg

Same as above- 10 rounds, prone, bipod, NF 4-16x ATACR, M118LR. 320 yards, 10 rounds .83 MOA.
dBW3tHN.jpg