MOA Turret vs Ballistic Yardage Turret (Outdoorsmans)

Schaaf

WKR
Just curious to hear people's opinions that have more knowledge on the topic than I. What is the preferred Turret system for your rifle scopes?

I've used both. I used the Leupold CDS system for many years and that worked well for game under 500 yards. I now shoot MOA Turrets exclusively. I also shoot and hunt at ranges well beyond 500 yards and it's a much more precise system when you can account for changing variables such as temp and dens altitude. Using a Kestrel/shooting app or rangefinder capable of considering all the variables is a much more ethical and precise system. I've also switched over to the Sig Kilo 2400 which does it all. Range and dial but I still have a dope chart on my rifle for basic, quick adjustments if needed.

Laser engraved turrets are handy and completely fine if you plan on shooting less than 500 yards. Point of impact differences are going to be pretty minimal but I would recommend going with moa/mil adjustments if you plan on shooting further. Just my .2c!

Besides, what if you want to put that scope on a different gun or try a different bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beastmode

WKR
I print out a dope card for the location I am hunting to 500 yards. It takes a little longer than a CDS style turret but it is more precise especially out at longer yardages. After 500 I plug in to app. If I don't have time to do that I don't have time to make a good shot.

I print out a dope card for the location I am hunting to 500 yards. It takes a little longer than a CDS style turret but it is more precise especially out at longer yardages. After 500 I plug in to app. If I don't have time to do that I don't have time to make a good shot.

Agreed 100%

FURMAN

WKR
MOA turrets and a range finder like the G7 BR2 or the Sig 2400. I hunt in too many different elevations to go with a "dial to yardage" turret.

I used Custom Turret System stickers on my 7wsm and plan on using them again on my 28 Nosler. They are really cheap, come with a windage hold off sticker that I put on top of the scope for 5/10 mph winds. And if you change loads, or guns in my case, tear it off and order another one.

Like stated though, they are great for a limited distance. After 500 yards, you'll definitely need to double check with a balistics app/ Kilo 2400 or G7 type stuff.

They are pretty nice, you can customize them any way you like. Mine is currently dialed to 500 yards. But it still has the MOA adjustments along the bottom.

2163b99c98e8342cbee940ee360b48e9.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
MOA turrets and a range finder like the G7 BR2 or the Sig 2400. I hunt in too many different elevations to go with a "dial to yardage" turret.

^ this. Also add load ADD to the reasons to dial in mils/moa

I'm going to try out Leica geovids with ballistic program this year.

mtmuley

WKR
MOA for me. And the Leupold CDS turrets are available in MOA. Saw an earlier post that seemed to point in the direction they are load specific only. mtmuley

MOA for me. And the Leupold CDS turrets are available in MOA. Saw an earlier post that seemed to point in the direction they are load specific only. mtmuley
I just used my free CDS turret to get a MOA zero stop turret for my vx3. They seemed to have a hard time under standing what I wanted at first though.

I just used my free CDS turret to get a MOA zero stop turret for my vx3. They seemed to have a hard time under standing what I wanted at first though.

Same experience here. My last Luepy had CDS Target Turrets and I just had them in MOA instead of yards. I think a few heads exploded when I asked for just a standard MOA turret 🤣

Akicita

WKR
My Steiner T5Xi Second Rotation Turret and my Steiner M5Xi DuoScale turrets are both in Mils as well as both the reticles for each optic. I only range while hunting using the reticle - and hold for drop using the reticle hash marks to 6 Mil. I don't typically dial in any elevation while hunting and never dial in windage unless establishing zero.

GKPrice

Banned
If I were to decide to "dial" the first order of business for me would be to get a scope that will be reliable doing it

CDS and the ilk are non-starters where I shoot and hunt. Environmentals change which mean ballistics change. Bullets change, too. I don't see the sense in being handcuffed to a custom turret or reticle. MIL/MIL (preferred) or MOA/MOA for me every time. YMMV.

N Corey

FNG
Probably a little late for a response but I think this totally depends on the shooter. If you're a guy that pulls the gun out of the safe once a year for hunting season and don't plan on changing loads then a yardage system is probably a good fit. If you do more shooting and are comfortable learning MOA or utilizing a ballistics app then the MOA route is far more versatile and accurate with varying conditions and elevations

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Probably a little late for a response but I think this totally depends on the shooter. If you're a guy that pulls the gun out of the safe once a year for hunting season and don't plan on changing loads then a yardage system is probably a good fit. If you do more shooting and are comfortable learning MOA or utilizing a ballistics app then the MOA route is far more versatile and accurate with varying conditions and elevations

A person that "pulls the gun out of the safe once a year" has neither the ability or knowledge to use ANY long range system.

2 of my guns use MOA with confirmed clicks out to 600. I just haven't got around to going further. I have a gun that has custom yardage turret built for it. I also have 2 hold over scopes (Leupoleds) that have the dope inside the defender flip cap.

I have a few different guns for various applications. So I set them up uniquely and enjoy all of them.

MattB

WKR
A person that "pulls the gun out of the safe once a year" has neither the ability or knowledge to use ANY long range system.

Agreed, but with the glorification of shoot game at long range many do. Which system would be easier for them to use? I would think CDS.

Pulling the gun out once a year. This is the sad reality of the LR craze. mtmuley

long range or not.... just a bad thing to take long breaks with anything....unless proper time is taken preparing prior to making it count.... just like anything to be proficient and effective practice all year round or at least what is needed to be spot on for the individual...... elr is a great way to put that chitty smile on your face making cold bore hits out long assuring that all the work to get there is worth it.........