Which stock?

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning to have a .300 WM built with a carbon fiber barrel. I'm having trouble deciding on which stock. I really like the manners EH 1 stick but am wondering if I should just go with something like the EH 2 or 3 or just a traditional sporter stock. I will be using the rifle on the mountain every other year for backpack hunts and every year for deer in Kansas. Anyone have any input with rationale why they would pick one over another?

bates

WKR
Which scope are you going to run?

I have a eh3 on one of my guns and love it. But running 40mm obj.

I didn't like how long the grip was on my EH3 and swapped it for a manners SL which is a little improvement and also has a shorter LOP that I prefer.

A EH1, EH2, or mickeys game scout are all nice choices. Manners will have higher comb than the gamescout but still a big low for me with 50 mm scopes.

OP
S

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to keep this package under 9-9.5 pounds scoped. Is the adjustable hardware going to throw me over. Thhe other thing is, when packing, most of my shots will probably be standing unsupported while walking rather than prone from a hide. Except in Kansas where it is just acrap shoot depending on where I'm hunting.

bates

WKR
Call Tom and ask what that rifle weighed

I don't remember it weighing over 9 or so but it was a while ago

FURMAN

WKR
If most shots are NOT going to be prone I'd go more classic style. I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline take off for sale. If you think you'll be doing a lot of prone shooting I'd go EH1 or Stocky's long range carbon fiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dotman

WKR
Limited to an EH1 & 4 with a carbon barrel if I remember correctly.

I have 1 game scout and 2 eh1's. I like the looks of the Manners better but like the feel of the McMillan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see them mentioned on here much but you should take a look at the McMillan made "Rifleman Stock: Precision Stock Works | Custom Rifle Stocks Its a McMillan stock, made by McMillan but it's been designed by Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels, TX and it's specifically built for right-handed shooters. I was looking at the same stocks as the OP mentioned and couldn't decide until I stumbled into a chance to test out this stock - it made the decision for me. It's only available through HCR but it's priced just slightly more than McM themselves charge (hey, HCR has to make their pound of flesh to! Lol!) and you can order all the same options that McM offers. I fell in love with it after shooting a couple rifles that had one. I ordered a carbon fiber/Edge fill for my current build. The finished rifle is scheduled to arrive here on Friday. I'll post some pix when it does. Figured I'd give you a heads-up. It's a well-kept secret as they haven't started really promoting the stock yet. I got mine in exactly 4 months but I took it unpainted - to get it into my GS's hands. I'm going to get it painted later, after I've played with it for a bit. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 2 EH-1 stocks and I really like the size of the grip. I can place my finger tips on the front of the grip to reduce torque without worrying about them sliding off.

-David

It's all subjective. My current favorite stocks are the EH1, EH5 (I like thumbhole stocks), and the McMillan gamewarden with cheek piece. The gamescout will only handle a rem varmint barrel contour consistently, the gamewarden handles up to an M24 or true Sendero contour which is what most my carbon barrels run.

I like the A3 sporter from Mcmillan as well, ONLY thing I don't like about it, is carrying it in your hand, that flared forend starts right where I have my hand when I'm walking but it's a REALLY minor thing as most the time the rifle is in a gunbearer. The A3 also has a nice high cheek weld unlike the gamescout/gamewarden.

Mike