the age old, less than $1000 scope thread

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are these proven through anecdotal experience, in a lab, or something else together? Not disagreeing as I have never handled any of the scopes listed, just wondering by what metric(s) they are measured and by whom to make above claim as fact. I am slowly looking for a budgetish scope for a hunting rifle that I can dial, so I am very interested in this topic. Thanks

Mike

Professionally. Several hundred-thousand rounds a year.

KClark

WKR
Tracking is always a maybe on a scope subjected to field conditions regardless of brand or hype, that is why our SF snipers use the knobs to zero and then the milling recticle to hold off after that.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Tracking is always a maybe on a scope subjected to field conditions regardless of brand or hype, that is why our SF snipers use the knobs to zero and then the milling recticle to hold off after that.

They do that because they are issued Leupold MK6's that do not work correctly, and to a lessor extent the S&B PSR. I have a room with boxes full of MK6's that no one will use because they suck. There is no "maybe" with some scopes.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Well...I blew up an SWFA...in a rifle class. So...scratch that off if you're listening to internet opinions. That was VERY light use.

One thing to understand is...everything breaks. Everything. So when you go on the inter web, at best you're getting very subjective opinions, at best, and sometimes people just decide they don't like something. Me, I'd never trust SWFA again, even though I had another SWFA scope that worked awesome.

As for Leupolds holding zero, I have never had a Leupold fail to hold zero, ever...except one I dropped off a cliff, and even that didn't really lose zero at that moment, it just couldn't be adjusted again. And I subject all my hunting scopes to extremely rough use, all backcountry, all weather, all heavy loads, always tired, trying not to break shit but sometimes stuff gets dropped and it ALWAYS gets bounced around the back of a truck or an ATV. My Leupold experience (of VX-3's and Vx-6's, never used a VX-5) is a sample size of about two dozen Leupold scopes of all different vintages, over the past two decades, all very hard use.

The dialing thing with Leupolds might be an issue. I don't dial my Leupold scopes very much so I'll withhold my opinion on that. But in my light use dialing, it's never been a problem.

The Bushnell elites I've had great luck with and use them on all my PR rifles. But they are heavy.

Nightforces are known good, I sold all mine bc the Bushnell Elites did the same thing for 50% less money and I've got a lot of guns to put scopes on. But I know plenty of people who've blown up nighforces. Because...if you know enough people who use enough gear, it all breaks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well...I blew up an SWFA...in a rifle class. So...scratch that off if you're listening to internet opinions. That was VERY light use.

One thing to understand is...everything breaks. Everything. So when you go on the inter web, at best you're getting very subjective opinions, at best, and sometimes people just decide they don't like something. Me, I'd never trust SWFA again, even though I had another SWFA scope that worked awesome.

As for Leupolds holding zero, I have never had a Leupold fail to hold zero, ever...except one I dropped off a cliff, and even that didn't really lose zero at that moment, it just couldn't be adjusted again. And I subject all my hunting scopes to extremely rough use, all backcountry, all weather, all heavy loads, always tired, trying not to break shit but sometimes stuff gets dropped and it ALWAYS gets bounced around the back of a truck or an ATV. My Leupold experience (of VX-3's and Vx-6's, never used a VX-5) is a sample size of about two dozen Leupold scopes of all different vintages, over the past two decades, all very hard use.

The dialing thing with Leupolds might be an issue. I don't dial my Leupold scopes very much so I'll withhold my opinion on that. But in my light use dialing, it's never been a problem.

The Bushnell elites I've had great luck with and use them on all my PR rifles. But they are heavy.

Nightforces are known good, I sold all mine bc the Bushnell Elites did the same thing for 50% less money and I've got a lot of guns to put scopes on. But I know plenty of people who've blown up nighforces. Because...if you know enough people who use enough gear, it all breaks.

Blown up, huh? Please describe.

Not saying it cant happen... We've put another 9,000+ rounds on 3 SWFA's this week since Monday morning. 90% of those rounds were dialing.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA Scope refused to return to zero, or anything remotely resembling zero, after somewhere between 200-400 rounds of 308 175gr FGMM. I can't remember if it died the 1st day or the second day but the instructor took the scope off his backup rifle and I shot the rest of the class with that. SWFA refunded my money right away, which was great. They were total gentlemen. But it was enough to put me off. To get a Leupold to fail that bad I had to drop it off a cliff. Does that mean I think SWFA sucks? Well...you and your company like them. Great. Good news for everyone. But me...I am at a 50% failure rate with them and in real life I don't know any other serious shooters that use them. But again, I believe that they have worked out well for you.

I don't actually care about Leupold...having brand loyalty in a day and age in which everything is outsourced and very few companies have a consistent supply chain is a bit retarded. Still, I have had scopes that didn't hold zero from month to month or year to year, but none of them were Leupolds, despite being thrown around in airplanes, ATV's etc. And I dial my Leupolds but only for hunting, never in a dialing-all-day situation. They are mushy and the clicks suck and you can kind of tell, meh...maybe I wouldn't want to dial this thing all day for a week. But they are also a pound or 1.5lbs lighter than scopes you can dial all day and the quality of the glass is good enough for what they cost. For most hunting rifles, this is a very good tradeoff.

I will also second what KClark said...the SOF-type guys I know and shoot with very consistently prefer to use their reticles, not to dial. That said, on the PR range, I still dial, bc I like hitting the tiny plates.

freebird

WKR
I have an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27X50 FFP in the MOA reticle and love it. I also have a Burris Veracity 3.5-15X50 and its real nice too.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Following, looking for a budgetish scope for my RAP 6.5 CM

Ruger American Predator? I have a Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42 MOA rectical on RAP 6.5. It is under $400, $370 ish iirc. Love that scope. I'm using the factory base and Leupold M4 medium rings. Perfect fit. This is my third S-Tac. I have a pile of Sightrons now.

NDGuy

WKR
Ruger American Predator? I have a Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42 MOA rectical on RAP 6.5. It is under $400, $370 ish iirc. Love that scope. I'm using the factory base and Leupold M4 medium rings. Perfect fit. This is my third S-Tac. I have a pile of Sightrons now.

Yep. It just came out in a left hand and only chambered in 6.5 CM.

So you like that scope quite a bit?

NDGuy

WKR
Scopes that are suitable for normal hunting rifles and that have consistently proven to be reliable, track correctly every time, return to zero perfectly, and hold a zero during rough use-

Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x32/42mm
SWFA SS 6x42mm and 3-9x42mm
Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm

Is that SWFA scope really that reliable and durable? I just find it hard to believe since the other two scopes on that list are over a grand while the SS is $300.

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
The other two scope companies pay distribution networks to sell their product, SWFA is a direct-to-consumer seller, and the other two scopes also have more features than the SS. The SS is pretty lean on features, so the price remains low, but it's built like a tank and actually works properly.

NDGuy

WKR
Any other recommendations? I am looking at an even lower cost scope. Hard to justify more than a $500 scope on a $400 rifle (RAP 6.5CM) for me.

Kinda between the VX2 and Vortex Diamondback. Does anyone know if the 4-12x40 VX2 comes with CDS?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any other recommendations? I am looking at an even lower cost scope. Hard to justify more than a $500 scope on a $400 rifle (RAP 6.5CM) for me.

Kinda between the VX2 and Vortex Diamondback. Does anyone know if the 4-12x40 VX2 comes with CDS?

What are are you trying to do with it?

Whisky

WKR
Hunting rifle not shooting past 400-500 yards.

I am looking at the VX2 3-9X40, 4-12X40, Sightron SII 3-9X42, and the Diamondback 4-12x40 so far.

I have 2 Diamondback HPs (upgrade from Diamondback) on my lesser used rifles and they seem to work ok. Don't get a lot of use, but for what you're looking for, they would be sufficient. About anything would be.

NDGuy

WKR
I have 2 Diamondback HPs (upgrade from Diamondback) on my lesser used rifles and they seem to work ok. Don't get a lot of use, but for what you're looking for, they would be sufficient. About anything would be.

I liked the idea of getting the VX2 with CDS and finding a load my rifle likes then ordering my free CDS from them.