Swarovski X5 Which scope magnification?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Here is the bull I shot with the X5 after I dropped it off the cliff. Yes, he is a monster 5x5:)
3db9b17e5e3c5976d4ea1c4e058cfd2c.jpg

Hit him at 940 and 960 yards. Didn't need the follow ups shot but elk are tough.

I have both the atlas and the Harris. There are pro's and cons. I like shooting with the Atlas more and it's very consistent for me. the harris deploys faster for me and is consistent but is super bulky and digs into my back when slung. I wouldn't want to put it in and out of a scabbard at all. It also doesn't go on and off the rifle as quickly as the atlas QD lever. On the other hand I don't really like having a front rail on my mountain gun. I have a new javelin carbon bipod sitting here but it's not as solid as the atlas and can turn when setting the rifle down. It's real nice but it hasn't kicked the atlas out of bed yet. For a scabbard hunt though it might be just the thing since you can take it on and off in one second and put it in your pocket. Bipods are like backpacks for me. Always searching for "the one".

Thanks for the info. You aren't kidding about the Harris digging into your back. Always been a throw pack down and use that's for a rest but like the bipod after using. May have to pick up an Atlas and give it a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
The glass is good enough, obviously not in the same glass league as the X5. But they dial every day all day.
5b54e323f63f3fe63fe10e208d995ef4.jpg

Shot this bull at 1583 yards with the NXS

4331564c9785846f44a6c11d6b501914.jpg

44f159c2eeb4dbc67e617762f02177ad.jpg

Shot this moose at 1775 with the NXS

Damn. That is sick!

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. You aren't kidding about the Harris digging into your back. Always been a throw pack down and use that's for a rest but like the bipod after using. May have to pick up an Atlas and give it a whirl.

I saw a new bipod at the sportsmans expo that I would look at before buying Atlas. I have to say seeing it live I really liked it. It's the extreme pod bipod. It doesn't "load" like an Atlas so depends on your flavor preference there. It doesn't even flex a tiny bit. it was rock solid and light.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I saw a new bipod at the sportsmans expo that I would look at before buying Atlas. I have to say seeing it live I really liked it. It's the extreme pod bipod. It doesn't "load" like an Atlas so depends on your flavor preference there. It doesn't even flex a tiny bit. it was rock solid and light.

I've use the Extreme Pod. I could never get it tight enough to stop bending under heavy recoil. Worked fine for smaller calibers.

Its in Justins bipod shootout.

Bipod Shootout Review - Rokslide

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
The glass is good enough, obviously not in the same glass league as the X5. But they dial every day all day.
5b54e323f63f3fe63fe10e208d995ef4.jpg

Shot this bull at 1583 yards with the NXS

4331564c9785846f44a6c11d6b501914.jpg

44f159c2eeb4dbc67e617762f02177ad.jpg

Shot this moose at 1775 with the NXS

would you go with an NXS 3-15x50 or a Zeiss Conquest V6 3-15x50 for a lightweight Tikka T3 in 30-06? I found the NXS for $200 cheaper. I had the Conquest HD5 and wasn't thrilled with it but I've heard the V6 is nice. Not to concerned about the extra 8 oz of weight. More concerned if the glass is good enough on the NXS for low light hunting. The 30-06 doesn't need a ton of dialing but I hate questioning my turrets.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Why not go with a 2.5-10 NXS? Any Night Force should work fine.
I have shot a Conquest V6 but I don't have enough experience to tell you ya or nay.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Why not go with a 2.5-10 NXS? Any Night Force should work fine.
I have shot a Conquest V6 but I don't have enough experience to tell you ya or nay.

I really didn't like the 2.5-10. I had one previously and it was mediocre at best in low light. I was thinking the 50mm objective would solve that. I prefer the 15x too even if it's slightly heavier.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I never thought the NXS limited my low light shots at a reasonable distance.

I don't know if I would trust the mid-range Zeiss to dial correctly

The X5 will get you into after legal shooting light, Epic glass!:)

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I never thought the NXS limited my low light shots at a reasonable distance.

I don't know if I would trust the mid-range Zeiss to dial correctly

The X5 will get you into after legal shooting light, Epic glass!:)

Agreed on the mid-range Zeiss. That's my main concern. The X5 is so nice it's going to be hard to use anything else now.

What reticle are all you guys running on the X? I have the 4W on my Z5's which I really like for wind adjustments. Thinking some elevation marks could come in handy after shooting a buddies Vortex at multiple distances within a dialed in area.

Broz

WKR
I have both and I prefer the Nightforce ATACR 4~16 SFP over my X5I 18X. In fact I will most likely be removing the Swaro and replacing it with a NXS or a ATACR.

Jeff

Sodbuster

WKR
Ohio Darin
What reticle are all you guys running on the X? I have the 4W on my Z5's which I really like for wind adjustments. Thinking some elevation marks could come in handy after shooting a buddies Vortex at multiple distances within a dialed in area.

I went with the 4WX on mine.
MOAR on the NSX.
Similar to each other and should do everything I want.

Sodbuster

WKR
Broz
I have both and I prefer the Nightforce ATACR 4~16 SFP over my X5I 18X. In fact I will most likely be removing the Swaro and replacing it with a NXS or a ATACR.

Jeff

Hard to pick between the those three.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider

Jeff

Always good to hear another perspective. I'll say the proprietary swarovski tool is the only thing i don't like about the X5. I would really like to try the ATACR. The weight scared me off but in hindsight I wish I bought one X5 and one ATACR instead of two X5's. However, when I bought them the X5 was WAY cheaper. Can I ask what is it that you don't like about the X5 or prefer about the ATACR? I deep down inside really want an ATACR.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider

4WX on both of mine.

Broz

WKR
Always good to hear another perspective. I'll say the proprietary swarovski tool is the only thing i don't like about the X5. I would really like to try the ATACR. The weight scared me off but in hindsight I wish I bought one X5 and one ATACR instead of two X5's. However, when I bought them the X5 was WAY cheaper. Can I ask what is it that you don't like about the X5 or prefer about the ATACR? I deep down inside really want an ATACR.

Comparing apples to apples, the ATACR 4~16x50 F2 is only 4 3/4 oz. heavier that the X5i in 18X. I am comparing both illuminated models. The height of the Iphil Tower turret design on the X5 is a turn off to me. Pretty cumbersome going in and out of scabbards. Add in the special tool and method to set zero stop and I really prefer the NF turret design. And I much prefer the feel of the NF detents and clicks. And I don't particularly care for the hard spot each revolution of the X5 as it clicks the revolution counter either.

The ATACR 4~16 is $500 less from online pricing using optics planet and euro optics.

The objective mounted illuminated reticle controls of the X5i are a bit unpleasing to the eye. I prefer the hidden design, location and operation of the NF digilume more. A lot more.

I have used and beaten NF products for years. I have also used and beaten Swaro products for years. I have had several items repaired by swaro, some same items multiple times. In fact by bino's need to go in for a second rebuild, but in their defense they are old. I have had zero that needed repair by NF. This and the overall feel and design of the X5i have gives me the feeling I already know which is the most robust optic. But to be fair here, the X5i is functioning just fine.

I bought the x5i after trusted friends bragged on it. I wanted to try one for myself to be informed for my own personal needs. I hear all the time how much better the Swaro glass is. Well, I don't see it one bit. The ED glass in the ATACR is plenty good for my 58 yr old eyes. Some of this opinion is coming from using the Swaro AT 80 HD spotter for years that I often had to back off 60x a bit for a perfect image, then going to the NF TS-2 and running it on 70X with clear images now for about 5 yrs. Again, I hear the Swaro glass is WAY better, I just don't see it. Maybe its my eyes, or, I may need to put my beer goggles on to see the true beauty?

Last but not least, and I wont go into detail. But I get the impression Swaro does not approve of some types of legal hunting I do. I hunt bear, I hunt cats, and I hunt wolves. Below is a beautiful picture capturing the camaraderie of some great friends and hunters as we reflect on a great and well planned hunt with the X5i front and center. Swaro wants no part of it. I prefer to support companies that support all types of legal hunting. So this does effect how I feel about the product.

This is just a post based on honest opinion after lots of time and miles with each product. Neither company advertises on my site, this is just how I feel.

Jeff
26B5EF07803A42B39870A1E497E7FAD0_zpstwp7gpee.jpg

Last edited: