Swarovski X5 Which scope magnification?

Sodbuster

WKR
Broz

Comparing apples to apples, the ATACR 4~16x50 F2 is only 4 3/4 oz. heavier that the X5i in 18X. I am comparing both illuminated models. The height of the Iphil Tower turret design on the X5 is a turn off to me. Pretty cumbersome going in and out of scabbards. Add in the special tool and method to set zero stop and I really prefer the NF turret design. And I much prefer the feel of the NF detents and clicks. And I don't particularly care for the hard spot each revolution of the X5 as it clicks the revolution counter either.

The ATACR 4~16 is $500 less from online pricing using optics planet and euro optics.

The objective mounted illuminated reticle controls of the X5i are a bit unpleasing to the eye. I prefer the hidden design, location and operation of the NF digilume more. A lot more.

I have used and beaten NF products for years. I have also used and beaten Swaro products for years. I have had several items repaired by swaro, some same items multiple times. In fact by bino's need to go in for a second rebuild, but in their defense they are old. I have had zero that needed repair by NF. This and the overall feel and design of the X5i have gives me the feeling I already know which is the most robust optic. But to be fair here, the X5i is functioning just fine.

I bought the x5i after trusted friends bragged on it. I wanted to try one for myself to be informed for my own personal needs. I hear all the time how much better the Swaro glass is. Well, I don't see it one bit. The ED glass in the ATACR is plenty good for my 58 yr old eyes. Some of this opinion is coming from using the Swaro AT 80 HD spotter for years that I often had to back off 60x a bit for a perfect image, then going to the NF TS-2 and running it on 70X with clear images now for about 5 yrs. Again, I hear the Swaro glass is WAY better, I just don't see it. Maybe its my eyes, or, I may need to put my beer goggles on to see the true beauty?

Last but not least, and I wont go into detail. But I get the impression Swaro does not approve of some types of legal hunting I do. I hunt bear, I hunt cats, and I hunt wolves. Below is a beautiful picture capturing the camaraderie of some great friends and hunters as we reflect on a great and well planned hunt with the X5i front and center. Swaro wants no part of it. I prefer to support companies that support all types of legal hunting. So this does effect how I feel about the product.

This is just a post based on honest opinion after lots of time and miles with each product. Neither company advertises on my site, this is just how I feel.

Jeff

Fair and useful review. Nice wolf.

WRO

WKR
Comparing apples to apples, the ATACR 4~16x50 F2 is only 4 3/4 oz. heavier that the X5i in 18X. I am comparing both illuminated models. The height of the Iphil Tower turret design on the X5 is a turn off to me. Pretty cumbersome going in and out of scabbards. Add in the special tool and method to set zero stop and I really prefer the NF turret design. And I much prefer the feel of the NF detents and clicks. And I don't particularly care for the hard spot each revolution of the X5 as it clicks the revolution counter either.

The ATACR 4~16 is $500 less from online pricing using optics planet and euro optics.

The objective mounted illuminated reticle controls of the X5i are a bit unpleasing to the eye. I prefer the hidden design, location and operation of the NF digilume more. A lot more.

I have used and beaten NF products for years. I have also used and beaten Swaro products for years. I have had several items repaired by swaro, some same items multiple times. In fact by bino's need to go in for a second rebuild, but in their defense they are old. I have had zero that needed repair by NF. This and the overall feel and design of the X5i have gives me the feeling I already know which is the most robust optic. But to be fair here, the X5i is functioning just fine.

I bought the x5i after trusted friends bragged on it. I wanted to try one for myself to be informed for my own personal needs. I hear all the time how much better the Swaro glass is. Well, I don't see it one bit. The ED glass in the ATACR is plenty good for my 58 yr old eyes. Some of this opinion is coming from using the Swaro AT 80 HD spotter for years that I often had to back off 60x a bit for a perfect image, then going to the NF TS-2 and running it on 70X with clear images now for about 5 yrs. Again, I hear the Swaro glass is WAY better, I just don't see it. Maybe its my eyes, or, I may need to put my beer goggles on to see the true beauty?

Last but not least, and I wont go into detail. But I get the impression Swaro does not approve of some types of legal hunting I do. I hunt bear, I hunt cats, and I hunt wolves. Below is a beautiful picture capturing the camaraderie of some great friends and hunters as we reflect on a great and well planned hunt with the X5i front and center. Swaro wants no part of it. I prefer to support companies that support all types of legal hunting. So this does effect how I feel about the product.

This is just a post based on honest opinion after lots of time and miles with each product. Neither company advertises on my site, this is just how I feel.

Jeff
26B5EF07803A42B39870A1E497E7FAD0_zpstwp7gpee.jpg
what do you think of the kahles?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Broz

WKR
what do you think of the kahles?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do not prefer FFP for hunting , especially long range hunting. I like to use center reticle dialed holds, but still like the ability to utilize the entire reticle on low and high power. I see no value in a reticle that has a lot of sub tensions below the cross but you can only see 1/3 of them on max power. Max power is where you would use this if you so desire and in FFP's scopes they are out of the field of view. I just like the full usable reticle on all powers. So, for that and other reasons, I hunt with SFP scopes. Now, if I were to enter timed shooting events like PRS type of shoots, I may consider a FFP and the Kahles would be a top contender. But I am not so I don't need it.

Jeff

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider

Jeff

Thanks for the assessment. The things you describe are exactly what I suspected. I took my X5's out yesterday and the zero stop is is a head scratcher. There is surely a patent or two they are tap dancing around to have to use that design. I could see people going a different direction for that reason alone if they switch rifles or loads frequently. But for me the glass is phenomenal and that's my main priority along with reliable tracking. I drove a few hours and then panicked that I had forgotten the stupid adjustment tool. I would like to look at an Atacr and suspect one will be here shortly :) I think the Nightforce spotter is OEM Meopta right? I tried one of those and I agree it is superb glass. I ultimately settled on the Swaro spotter but only due to form factor of the 65mm option for packing around. If I was going 80mm I'd save my money and buy the Meopta/Nightforce with complete confidence. It's underpriced in my opinion.

WRO

WKR

Jeff

I've bear hunted with a couple of the swaro reps, and they hunt bears on their TV show. So what makes you think they don't support what you do besides not wanting to use your picture?

Broz

WKR
I've bear hunted with a couple of the swaro reps, and they hunt bears on their TV show. So what makes you think they don't support what you do besides not wanting to use your picture?

Other than them saying they want no part of a dead wolf pic, nothing. Maybe I read too much into that. You take it as you see fit.

Jeff

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Why not go with a 2.5-10 NXS? Any Night Force should work fine.
I have shot a Conquest V6 but I don't have enough experience to tell you ya or nay.

I bought an ATACR 4-16x50 F2 and ran it today at the range. It's fricken awesome. Not sure I like it more than the X5 and don't have enough time behind it yet to give any type of review but it sure is built like a tank. I'm surprised by the glass quality. much better than I expected. Not sure it's swaro glass level but they did a good job of eliminating tunnel vision that I usually see in Nightforce.

Broz

WKR
Two days to MT rifle elk opener. The X5 comes off tomorrow and the ATACR goes on. I tried, just can't find the love for the Swaro.

Sodbuster

WKR
Broz
Two days to MT rifle elk opener. The X5 comes off tomorrow and the ATACR goes on. I tried, just can't find the love for the Swaro.

X5I is setup on my WSM for this season and my NSX is waiting for another three weeks for my 6.5- 300 WM ( able to change caliber from 6.5-06 imp) to get finished. That said, after this discussion and consensus, I am going to have to look through an ATACR. Feature rich alpha glass that can hunt hard is what I am interested in.
Thanks for the comparisons.