Swarovski X5 Which scope magnification?

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Between Swarovski x5 5-25x56 and X5 3.5-18x50 which would you choose for an all around hunting rifle with shots on game maximum to 750yds under perfect conditions. Most shots between 150y-550y. But also target shooting to 1000yds and maybe a bit further. Is the 1.5x difference on the low end noticeable in the field or is the 56mm objective worth it for low light?

This is for high sierra hunting and yolla bolly area in mendocino wilderness, norcal. black tails and black bears.

bates

WKR
What's the gun specd.

I mean those turrets are big i don't think it matter for what you said I would want the 25x top end for shooting out to 1,000 or farther. But I like mag too

Length and weight wise they are close

I would rather run a z6 if you are just going to kill stuff out to 700

I love swaro but they have their scopes backwards

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
What's the gun specd.

I mean those turrets are big i don't think it matter for what you said I would want the 25x top end for shooting out to 1,000 or farther. But I like mag too

Length and weight wise they are close

I would rather run a z6 if you are just going to kill stuff out to 700

I love swaro but they have their scopes backwards

Gun is a 300 Win mag Lone Peak Arms Ti Action, 26 inch proof research barrel, in a Mcmillan edge Game warden. I'm running a 215gr Berger Hybrid. Previously I had the Z6 but I didn't care for the turrets and reticle choices. Although the glass was unreal. I had the 2.5-15x44BT with outdoorsmans Mil turret.

I actually have both x5 scopes, the 3.5-18 and the 5-25. Got a good deal and I'm a fool with my money. Staring at them trying to decide what to which one will get a home on this rifle this season. The 3.5-18 is currently on it and the 5-25 is sitting next to it. Once I sight in though the season starts and I don't want to make any changes.

bates

WKR
Oh on that the 25x for sure

That's a cannon. 750 and it's just getting started. I'd run the big glass for sure

What does she weigh ???

How is recoil??

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Oh on that the 25x for sure

That's a cannon. 750 and it's just getting started. I'd run the big glass for sure

What does she weigh ???

How is recoil??

It's right around 6.5 pounds bare. The X5 and rings add another 37 oz. So roughly 8.75 all up. I think I'll swap the scope tonight and get after it tomorrow.

It has a brake on it. Surprisingly recoil feels about like a 6.5 creedmoor unbraked. But it's loud as hell.

I have the Z5 on a 300 WSM and went with the 3.5x18 for weight savings and based on anticipated hunting ranges similar to yours. I have shot ranges out to 1,000 yds and would prefer a little more glass if I was doing that a lot. By rights my equipment maxes out at 700 yds as I run out of turret on the Z5 and have to resort to hold over from there to reach 1,000 yds. Have a 6.5 CM currently being built that I might splurge for the X5. As far as going with 5-25, remember that back in the day just about everyone carried a 4x and did just fine so I don't think you be over scoped if that is a concern. I prefer the lower power however as my 300 is my do-all gun and the 3.5x field of view came in handy in S Africa - where even lower would have been better.

WRO

WKR
I love my 3.5x18, I've literally killed from 30' to 1200 plus.

Ryan Avery runs the same scope I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Z5 on a 300 WSM and went with the 3.5x18 for weight savings and based on anticipated hunting ranges similar to yours. I have shot ranges out to 1,000 yds and would prefer a little more glass if I was doing that a lot. By rights my equipment maxes out at 700 yds as I run out of turret on the Z5 and have to resort to hold over from there to reach 1,000 yds. Have a 6.5 CM currently being built that I might splurge for the X5. As far as going with 5-25, remember that back in the day just about everyone carried a 4x and did just fine so I don't think you be over scoped if that is a concern. I prefer the lower power however as my 300 is my do-all gun and the 3.5x field of view came in handy in S Africa - where even lower would have been better.

overscoping was my primary concern with the 5-25 but I can't tell a huge difference (at least at my house which means nothing). I ended up putting the 3.5-18 on my new Sako Finnlite with some American rifle company M10's and a Near rail. I put the 5-25x56 on my lone peak action rifle with some Era Tac rings and a titanium lone peak rail. Both are 300 win mags. I really don't see a huge difference in field of view and my primary concern was over scoping for close range opportunities. The 5-25 didn't look like it would belong on the finnlite and it fits perfectly on the lone peak. Finished weight is about 9lbs for the lone peak and 9.4 lbs for the Sako. They feel identical though. My OCD has kicked into a whole new level tonight. I'll finish in a minute and post a pic.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I went with the 3.5-18 X5 with the non-illuminated reticle to get as light as possible. I have shot it out to 2200 yards and feel like it handles 1400 yard shots easy. I have been running the Kahles 624i on my 338 Lapua Imp with 24x. I do notice the magnification bump but for most long range shots under 1200 yards, the 18x is PLENTY.

On a side note about the durability of the X5. Like a dumbass, I dropped mine off a cliff and it fell a long ways bouncing off of several rocks on the way down, putting a big dent in the bell and denting the shit out of the rifle stock. I was already backpacked in and the season opened the next morning....

I shot a bull that next morning at 940 yards right behind the shoulder and I hit him again at 960. The shots were about three inches apart and right behind the shoulder. When I got home, I went to the range to check zero and had no POI shift. That's good enough for me:)

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
5-25x56 pic

IMG_0796.jpg

Here's the 5-25x56 on the lone peak with era tac ring mounts. they are really stout looking. This rifle turned out good. Gonna shoot it in the morning. the lone peak action is my favorite possession :) Obviously the finnlite doesn't look this good but the 3.5-18x50 scope fits it well and i've verified it's close to a single hole gun. the finnlight ejects straight up which is a damn disappointment for a pricey factory rifle so it's off to LRI for some metal massaging after I shoot it tomorrow. it will be my backup and hog gun.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the 3.5-18 X5 with the non-illuminated reticle to get as light as possible. I have shot it out to 2200 yards and feel like it handles 1400 yard shots easy. I have been running the Kahles 624i on my 338 Lapua Imp with 24x. I do notice the magnification bump but for most long range shots under 1200 yards, the 18x is PLENTY.

On a side note about the durability of the X5. Like a dumbass, I dropped mine off a cliff and it fell a long ways bouncing off of several rocks on the way down, putting a big dent in the bell and denting the shit out of the rifle stock. I was already backpacked in and the season opened the next morning....

I shot a bull that next morning at 940 yards right behind the shoulder and I hit him again at 960. The shots were about three inches apart and right behind the shoulder. When I got home, I went to the range to check zero and had no POI shift. That's good enough for me:)

it took me a long time to decide on these X5 scopes. I probably read your review on it at least 10 times. I had my doubts on the 5-25 based on your review and almost bought an Atacr instead so it's been in the back of my mind. I don't need all the extra adjustment of the 3.5-18 so it's more the FOV that I go back and forth on. I couldn't decide which one so bought both and ended up keeping both. I also bought a Z6 and a Z5 and they went back. But the glass on the Z6 is the best I've seen so far.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
it took me a long time to decide on these X5 scopes. I probably read your review on it at least 10 times. I had my doubts on the 5-25 based on your review and almost bought an Atacr instead so it's been in the back of my mind. I don't need all the extra adjustment of the 3.5-18 so it's more the FOV that I go back and forth on. I couldn't decide which one so bought both and ended up keeping both. I also bought a Z6 and a Z5 and they went back. But the glass on the Z6 is the best I've seen so far.

Too many options:) Can't go wrong with the X5 or ATACR.

WRO

WKR

Think the Z6 glass is good, try a Z8.. They're an upgrade because they'll do 7 mils in the single rotation turret which'll get most out to 1k.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Think the Z6 glass is good, try a Z8.. They're an upgrade because they'll do 7 mils in the single rotation turret which'll get most out to 1k.

i'm scared to try a z8. It may end up in my safe further confusing the options I have :) For now I'll have to live with a pair of X5's. I have one more rifle, a custom 6.5 creedmoor with a Mausingfield action. Thinking a nightforce nxs for it since it will be a target gun.

Sodbuster

WKR
X5I 3.5-18x50 Illuminated on my Kimber 300 WSM. Where I mostly hunt, a shot can be 25 yards for a jumped runner to an unaware 900 yards across a cornfield.This scope covers all of that.
That type of versatility should work anywhere else I go.

I also bought a Nightforce NXS in the same power range and kept both. Going against the grain a little, I prefer the illuminated reticles at certain times.

Sweet looking rig. How do you like the Atlas bi-pod? See any advantages over the Harris? It looks a little more streamline which might make it play nicer with a saddle scabbard. Haven't tried my Harris in my scabbard but I have a feeling it's not going to go well.

View attachment 57118

Here's the 5-25x56 on the lone peak with era tac ring mounts. they are really stout looking. This rifle turned out good. Gonna shoot it in the morning. the lone peak action is my favorite possession :) Obviously the finnlite doesn't look this good but the 3.5-18x50 scope fits it well and i've verified it's close to a single hole gun. the finnlight ejects straight up which is a damn disappointment for a pricey factory rifle so it's off to LRI for some metal massaging after I shoot it tomorrow. it will be my backup and hog gun.

Thanks for sharing this. Have been eyeballing the X5 as I am already a big fan having the Z3 and Z5. This sure makes the initial investment for an X5 a lot easier to swallow know no zero shift after a hard spill.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet looking rig. How do you like the Atlas bi-pod? See any advantages over the Harris? It looks a little more streamline which might make it play nicer with a saddle scabbard. Haven't tried my Harris in my scabbard but I have a feeling it's not going to go well.

I have both the atlas and the Harris. There are pro's and cons. I like shooting with the Atlas more and it's very consistent for me. the harris deploys faster for me and is consistent but is super bulky and digs into my back when slung. I wouldn't want to put it in and out of a scabbard at all. It also doesn't go on and off the rifle as quickly as the atlas QD lever. On the other hand I don't really like having a front rail on my mountain gun. I have a new javelin carbon bipod sitting here but it's not as solid as the atlas and can turn when setting the rifle down. It's real nice but it hasn't kicked the atlas out of bed yet. For a scabbard hunt though it might be just the thing since you can take it on and off in one second and put it in your pocket. Bipods are like backpacks for me. Always searching for "the one".

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
X5I 3.5-18x50 Illuminated on my Kimber 300 WSM. Where I mostly hunt, a shot can be 25 yards for a jumped runner to an unaware 900 yards across a cornfield.This scope covers all of that.
That type of versatility should work anywhere else I go.

I also bought a Nightforce NXS in the same power range and kept both. Going against the grain a little, I prefer the illuminated reticles at certain times.

How does the NXS compare? I "need" one more scope and been eyeballing the NXS 3-15x50. I had a NXS 2.5-10x42 compact and didn't care much for it at last light. I think the 50mm objective would fix that though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How does the NXS compare? I "need" one more scope and been eyeballing the NXS 3-15x50. I had a NXS 2.5-10x42 compact and didn't care much for it at last light. I think the 50mm objective would fix that though.

The glass is good enough, obviously not in the same glass league as the X5. But they dial every day all day.
5b54e323f63f3fe63fe10e208d995ef4.jpg

Shot this bull at 1583 yards with the NXS

4331564c9785846f44a6c11d6b501914.jpg

44f159c2eeb4dbc67e617762f02177ad.jpg

Shot this moose at 1775 with the NXS

Last edited: