New rifle opinions.

Lawnboi

WKR
No one likes the Mesa as a middle ground huh?

I'll precede this by saying I'm no long range hunter, but I was looking for a gun to start to stretch, as you are, after shooting mid range light guns for some time. I went with the mesa, and though I don't have a season on it yet, it's ticking all my boxes. It's an accurate rifle, easier to shoot than light kimber and browning rifles I'm used to, and ticks all the boxes as far as features go. Mines in 300 win mag.

Only complaint is on the radial brake, would love for CA to put out a side port brake for it. Not so much for recoil, but it sucks getting blasted with dirt. The radial brake helps a good bit. I prefer shooting the Mesa more than my kimber 308. Much easier to shoot as well.

Only problem now is it's opened a can of worms, an expensive one.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I'll precede this by saying I'm no long range hunter, but I was looking for a gun to start to stretch, as you are, after shooting mid range light guns for some time. I went with the mesa, and though I don't have a season on it yet, it's ticking all my boxes. It's an accurate rifle, easier to shoot than light kimber and browning rifles I'm used to, and ticks all the boxes as far as features go. Mines in 300 win mag.

Only complaint is on the radial brake, would love for CA to put out a side port brake for it. Not so much for recoil, but it sucks getting blasted with dirt. The radial brake helps a good bit. I prefer shooting the Mesa more than my kimber 308. Much easier to shoot as well.

Only problem now is it's opened a can of worms, an expensive one.

You could install their other brake or get one from another company, I like the Hawkins Precision brake.

Lawnboi

WKR
Unfortunately they done make one threaded for the mesa, not the same threads as their carbon barrels, I haven't looked much into aftermarket brakes quite yet, would need to find a smith to possibly time it too.

Jakeleg

FNG
Hey guys I know I haven't posted but long time rokslide fan.I have several really nice custom rigs,but most are pretty heavy. Recently a buddy of mine came over to my house to use my long range range and do some load work up for his new xbolt hells canyon in 28 nosler he just got for an Idaho elk hunt.Long story short I had been wanting to try one for some time,but was stuck in a rut thinking I would need another custom or was going to buy a tikka.After I shot his and since I was in market for a lightweight rifle I was spending my hard earned money again.I know these rifles are pricey at little over a grand but both of these at least shoot very well under a half a minute to 840 yards which is a far as I've shot it yet.Super impressed so far with accuracy but trigger was a little bast!@#d getting pins out to adj but it turned out great.Just my experience and hello to all you have a great place here.

GKPrice

Banned
Remington 700 Alaskan Wilderness rifle. The Tikka won't get you the longer barrel you are after. The Sako Roughtech is another option. mtmuley

I never saw where he's looking for a longer barrel than 24 1/2" ? and that is plenty long for a "hunting" rifle

GKPrice

Banned
You can find Rem 700 complete actions for around $350, or you can buy a complete used 700 at a pawnshop or on sale at Walmart in the offseason for like $300, usually. Truing those actions often costs around $200. Or find a Tikka donor action or whatevs floats your boat. A good barrel is about $350 from most of the makers. Chambering is about $250-$300. Result=tackdriver.

no "tuning" required with a Tikka action .....

I went the Christensen route with a Ridgeline. My vote would be Mesa. I couldn't be happier with Christensen. It's the only US made rifle in the three you posted.

OP
B
Thanks for the continued responses. I feel like I will prob wind up with something with a barrel closer to ~26, but more important than that is a heavier duty barrel than my Tikkas. Love them, but want something a bit heavier to make it a easier to shoot more, etc.