New rifle opinions.

Wanted to get some opinions from the collective.

Currently eyeing three rifles. The Browning Hell's Canyon Long Range, Christensen Arms Mesa, and Sako A7 Big Game. All in a 7mm RM.

What would you learn towards? Anything else in the ~$1300 range which should make the list? I already own two Tikas. Can't spend more than $1500

This will be a backcountry/backpacking rifle. As I have started shooting further, I'm looking for something a bit heavier, with maybe a muzzle brake, and a longer barrel than what I'm currently shooting. I have a great lightweight gun I love for closer/shorter.

Mostly I want to cut down on barrel whip, tame the recoil a touch, hopefully gain even a bit more accuracy through those 2x factors, and have a platform which is still pretty easy to carry but more fun to shoot when I'm not hunting. A "heavy sporter".

This gun will see some "range time", but not so much that I'm interested in a 10/11lb base gun. I'm trying to toe that line between pack-ability and shoot-ability. No plans on shooting the ranges which really benefit from something like a Sendero or Mesa Long Range I don't think.

Thanks!

hwy1strat

WKR
I don't think you would be going wrong with any of your options. I have a Browning xbolt hells canyon speed and that they is a tack driver. I'm totally smitten with that rifle right now. It's in 30-06 and I haven't ran a factory load through it that hasn't shot under 1in at 100 yards. I haven't started reloading for it but I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze out even more accuracy from it then. I am considering an bolt long range now as well. I think browning did a very good job on these rifles especially given the price. You may also want to look into a Remington Sendero. They are in the 8-9lbs range but they are great shooting rifles and can easily be upgraded/modified as you get more funds.

Tikka makes a great lightweight rifle. Your only limiting factor is mag length, so it will depend on what bullets you want to chuck. The sako is a great rifle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
other than a 3 function safety there is nothing a Sako will show you that can't be had or done with a Tikka for a lot less money (and a magazine that drops out one handed)

X-bolt has a lot to offer as well ....

mtmuley

WKR
Remington 700 Alaskan Wilderness rifle. The Tikka won't get you the longer barrel you are after. The Sako Roughtech is another option. mtmuley

ID_Matt

WKR
My friend just picked up a Sako A7 for around $950. I have one as well. I think they are outstanding guns. Added a titanium muzzle brake for $120. Only limiting factor on these that was mentioned earlier is the mag length. If you are reloading and are set on shooting a certain bullet than that is something to consider. I handload for mine and have reached great accuracy but it can be tricky finding the right bullet. Also, if you are looking at shooting a heavier bullet, check your twist rates on each of those guns. I believe the Sako might be a hair slower than the others.

The other negative about most Tikka and Sako Rifles is they have slow slow twist rates other than 6.5 cm and .260 Rem. Depending on your altitude and bullet preference that may or may not limit you. Berger's twist calculator is helpful in that department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thanks for all the responses so far.

I own 2x Tikka's already, so prob not going down that route. It also makes the Sako a distant third since it's so similar.

Good reminder about twist rates. I shoot pretty light grain bullets in general, but good food for through, for sure.

Other thank hwy1strat, has anyone shot either the Hell's Canyon long range, or Christensen Mesa?

Last edited:
I've got 3 Xbolts and they all shoot in the half inch range with reloads. One of the biggest benefits of the xbolt is that magazine will allow you to shoot higher bc bullets (Berger, Hornady) close to the lands. I love Tikka but their mag boxes are just too short in mag calibers.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've got 3 Xbolts and they all shoot in the half inch range with reloads. One of the biggest benefits of the xbolt is that magazine will allow you to shoot higher bc bullets (Berger, Hornady) close to the lands. I love Tikka but their mag boxes are just too short in mag calibers.

Unless you go WSM :)

I load to 2.960" in my Tikkas. :)

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to get some opinions from the collective.

Currently eyeing three rifles. The Browning Hell's Canyon Long Range, Christensen Arms Mesa, and Sako A7 Big Game. All in a 7mm RM.

What would you learn towards? Anything else in the ~$1300 range which should make the list? I already own two Tikas. Can't spend more than $1500

This will be a backcountry/backpacking rifle. As I have started shooting further, I'm looking for something a bit heavier, with maybe a muzzle brake, and a longer barrel than what I'm currently shooting. I have a great lightweight gun I love for closer/shorter.

Mostly I want to cut down on barrel whip, tame the recoil a touch, hopefully gain even a bit more accuracy through those 2x factors, and have a platform which is still pretty easy to carry but more fun to shoot when I'm not hunting. A "heavy sporter".

This gun will see some "range time", but not so much that I'm interested in a 10/11lb base gun. I'm trying to toe that line between pack-ability and shoot-ability. No plans on shooting the ranges which really benefit from something like a Sendero or Mesa Long Range I don't think.

Thanks!

I have a new Sako 85 Finnlight, a Tikka, and an X-bolt. Since you already have a Tikka I'd skip the X-bolt and the Sako. I know the A7 is not the 85 Finnlight. You'd be better off putting a Bartlein #2b or #3 on your Tikka and dropping it into a Mcmillan edge with a titanium rail and some american rifle company M10 scope rings than spending money on an A7. At that time you can make the Tikka any caliber you want since they are all built on the same action. The X-bolt and the Sako are my two least favorite rifles. Both sit way back in the safe where I'd have to move everything to get to them :) My Sako shoots as good as the Tikka but mine ejects straight up into the scope and the brass falls back into the ejection port. Tikka uses a plunger ejector instead of a 6oclock ejector and the action is super stiff since they don't hog out the top of the action for aesthetics.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new Sako 85 Finnlight, a Tikka, and an X-bolt. Since you already have a Tikka I'd skip the X-bolt and the Sako. I know the A7 is not the 85 Finnlight. You'd be better off putting a Bartlein #2b or #3 on your Tikka and dropping it into a Mcmillan edge with a titanium rail and some american rifle company M10 scope rings than spending money on an A7. At that time you can make the Tikka any caliber you want since they are all built on the same action. The X-bolt and the Sako are my two least favorite rifles. Both sit way back in the safe where I'd have to move everything to get to them :) My Sako shoots as good as the Tikka but mine ejects straight up into the scope and the brass falls back into the ejection port. Tikka uses a plunger ejector instead of a 6oclock ejector and the action is super stiff since they don't hog out the top of the action for aesthetics.

forgot to add. If you rebarrel the tikka in a 270 or 300 WSM, as Luke mentioned above you have no mag length issues. the bartlein will add the forward weight you mentioned you're missing. You're essentially building a short action on a long action. You can also make the new barrel any twist rate you want. just my .02 cents. It's about 900 bucks to do this.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with pods8. At that price level you can build a rifle on a factory action and get exactly what you want in terms of twist, barrel profile, taper, etc. It's 100% winning except that you'd have to wait for it, as most of the barrel makers have a wait time of 3-6 months, plus the gunsmith time.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
You can find Rem 700 complete actions for around $350, or you can buy a complete used 700 at a pawnshop or on sale at Walmart in the offseason for like $300, usually. Truing those actions often costs around $200. Or find a Tikka donor action or whatevs floats your boat. A good barrel is about $350 from most of the makers. Chambering is about $250-$300. Result=tackdriver.

OP
B
Thanks for all the responses!

For the time being, it sounds like I should just keep what I have, and keep saving. Don't really have any desire to build up either of my existing Tikkas, and if I'm not going to do that, sounds like I should just keep saving till I'm ready to build a custom rifle.

No one likes the Mesa as a middle ground huh?