Rifle is basically rattling apart

cgasner1

WKR
I have a howa 1500 legacy in 300 win mag i can not get to shoot had my Smith put a break on it about 50 shots later noticed the bolt was loose at the recoil lug called him mad figuring he was in a hurry and missed it. He told me there was a couple things loose on it when he gotnit and had torqued everything down so I checked everything else and the scope base had a loose one and so did a ring what is going on with this thing. He recommended I just blue thread lock the gun I'm about to sell it and buy a new gun any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Needing to loctite (blue not red) scope bases is very common, I forgot on a 7-08 one time and rattled it loose so its not just big boomers. Are you saying your front action screw worked loose also? First I've heard that one but perhaps you just need to check it at range sessions to make sure its tight and get a feel for what is going on with it. Feel free to sell the gun if you want something else but what you are complaining about doesn't immediately sound like an issue, you just need to set it up for success.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Ya the action screw is also coming loose

desertcj

WKR
Has the action been bedded? Might help. I would also use the locktight. When I first got a 7mm mag, I had trouble with scope rings and bases coming loose. Recoil can be tough on fasteners.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
It's basically out of the box rifle other than i dropped a trigger in it

hwy1strat

WKR
I always take apart a new rifle to clean it and then make sure the action screws are properly torqued. Most require around 60in-lbs of torque and I have never had one come loose after its been torqued. It could have just not been torqued down after your gunsmith took it apart. I also would recommend torqueing and loc-titing your scope base and rings. I don't know why you wouldn't do that

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
The Smith said he torqued it all down after he was done

Floorguy

WKR
The Smith said he torqued it all down after he was done

I had a guy at the chevron service station tell me that too about after getting tires changed over, after I got half a block away and the wheel almost came off l wasn't sure he had
Saying you torqued everything down is all fine and dandy but getting distracted and missing an action screw or one wheel in my case can still happen.

I failed to locktite my scope bases one time and missed a moose at 200 yards. Couldn't figure out what went wrong until I got to the range my group size was 4ft at 200 yards tightened the bases and group shrunk to 2.5 inches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Out of the box or not and smith torqueing down the scope bases doesn't mean anything, LOTS of guns rattle them loose if they aren't loctited in. His recommendation is completely normal and expected. As for the action it might not have been completely seated in the stock when it left and after firing settled in further (loosening the screw which was now free to shake looser). Tighten it down and check it periodically to see it its a fluke or consistent issue.

I always take apart a new rifle to clean it and then make sure the action screws are properly torqued. Most require around 60in-lbs of torque and I have never had one come loose after its been torqued. It could have just not been torqued down after your gunsmith took it apart. I also would recommend torqueing and loc-titing your scope base and rings. I don't know why you wouldn't do that

60in-lbs can be too much for some stocks that aren't metal pillars or stout material in the action screw zone, potential to crack some plastic and wooden stocks (or crush that area some). I do my factor tikkas to 30-35 for instance and it works just fine for them.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Mainly I guess it seems odd to me to need to thread lock a action into a stock but I'm just a bowhunter that drew a rifle tag

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Mainly I guess it seems odd to me to need to thread lock a action into a stock but I'm just a bowhunter that drew a rifle tag

Not at all "odd". Screws don't shoot "tight"... they shoot loose. Every single screw needs to be comepletly degreased, and have Blue Loctite, a paint pen, or nail polish applied, and he torqued somewhat correctly.

Interestingly there is a thread in the optics action titled something like "beginners guide to scope mounting" by Brad@argali. I would suggest reading that entire thread to understand why you need to get all oil off and Loctite.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

To be clear I said Loctite the bases down, that pretty much a universal suggestion, I can't think of a good reason not to (unless you are just test fitting something). For the action I suggested tightening it and then keeping an eye on it to see if it was a fluke or not that it came loose and suggested one potential way a fluke could have occurred. IF it wasn't a fluke then perhaps that particular gun might need Loctite but none of my actions screws have needed it to day. Scope bases yes Loctite.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Last night we torqued the stock to 65lbs I just stripped it cleaned it and put thread lock in it. I put 4 rounds threw it last night and the bolts on the stock came out at 45 lbs seems insane to me that in 4 shots they came that loose

Stid2677

WKR
Last night we torqued the stock to 65lbs I just stripped it cleaned it and put thread lock in it. I put 4 rounds threw it last night and the bolts on the stock came out at 45 lbs seems insane to me that in 4 shots they came that loose

Make sure there is no packing grease in the bolt holes or on the bolts,, clean the bolts and holes with carb or brake cleaner. Blue Locktite and retorque. If the holes are greasy the bolts will never stay tight.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
All the stuff inflamed out of the threads
50ad1421d9b5a0433fb7d2539550fa24.jpg

All threaded fasteners will go through stress relaxation over time as the material permanently deforms to the new, elongated size. This causes a reduction in the amount of torque required to turn the fastener. The smaller the diameter, the faster the deformation occurs (for the same torque), which is why loctite is so often used in scope mounting. It shouldn't be necessary for an action screw, those are relatively large diameter and low torque fasteners. Your Smith forgot to check them, it happens sometimes. I would tighten the screws, run a box of ammo through it, then check the screws. That should give you a solid data set to make a decision with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Degrease all the screws and threads and use just a touch of blue loctite on them. It's not uncommon for screws to come lose especially with a muzzlebrake. Also sounds like your rifle could greatly benefit from a bedding job. It's probably very sloppy in the stock and that's not good.