$500 scopes...

desertcj

WKR
I've read the $1000 scope thread. It's pretty good, but I have a few specific scopes I'd like to hear about and I don't want to dilute the other thread with my questions. I'm currently using a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40. It's been ok for me, but I'm looking for something a little better. The reticle is on the thick side and the turrets aren't as precise as I feel they should/could be.

Scopes I'm looking at are the Bushnell Engage 4-16x44, Nikon Black x1000 4-16x50 and the Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44. The Viper HST is the only one that has a zero stop for dialing which is a plus, it's also the most expensive of the 3. I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience with any of these scopes.

I've owned both the Nikon and the vortex HST and the HST is well worth the extra money. I sold the two nikons I had and purchased the HST's. For an "inexpensive" long range setup there a great scope for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyU

WKR
I'm probably not the greatest source as most of my hunting is archery. But I do have the vortex hst 4-16-44 and have been more than impressed. Sighted it in I have maxed the turret out over and over always to return to the true zero spot and especially with a couple roksliders having them on here for 400 to 450 it's a hell of a scope for that kind of money. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Vortex viper HS 4-16x44 on one gun (just the capped turret version of the HST with dials under the cap). I think I got it on sale for like $300 and at that price can't really complain. I've hunted it a couple years now and its holding up well and zero returns well but I've really only shot it to 600yd so not sure on the upper end. Glass is moderate better the cheap scopes but obviously not as nice as a more expensive scope. My magnification ring is really stiff, not sure if they all are. The sweet spot for your eye gets fairly narrow at 16x, other than really trying to tighten up a group on paper at long distance I typically have it backed off to like 10x for distance plinking and such.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I just sold a vortex viper 4x16 44 to a buddy. I didn't care for the eye relief or the glass. For that money I like Leupolds. But everyone has there own favorite horse or truck or scope. I got $250 for the scope it was like new. Now I just gotta sell the 30mm mounts.

I've never heard of them. They look OK though? No zero stop so what makes them better than the Bushnell or Nikon I mentioned? Better glass?

I've mounted and shot 3 of the Ares BTR's and like them a fair amount but I forgot that while the Midas is the SFP brother to the Ares it doesn't have a zero stop... carry on my mistake!

Mike

I’ve been looking at the SWFA’s for a scope to dial in that price range. They seem to have good reviews but are maybe a little heavy.

NDGuy

WKR
I just bought a Sightron SII 3-9X42 for $157 on optics planet. Good reviews and seemed like a nice little scope for the money. I am putting it on my Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM. I am going to see how I like it and if I don't I can always stick it on my .17 when I have more money to upgrade to something better.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Nikon's BLACK X1000 scope's for about 5 months now and they really are built for shooter's. 3o mm tube, MRAD/MOA reticle and corresponding turrets. Great price and magnification choices too. I have taken mine out to 700 and a buddy who lives to predator hunt has whacked coyoyes past 500 yards on multiple occasion's. Just as a FYI- I have done freelance PR/Shooting Event's with Nikon for about 8 years now. That being said I wouldn't tell you you get a lot of features for a great price if it wasn't true. Defintely worth looking through one before you make up your mind.

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-24%20at%209.52.10%20AM.png

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I was leaning towards the Nikon. I realized that it doesn't look like they are 1 piece tubes?

FURMAN

WKR
Go with the HS-T. I do not feel there is a real competitor in that price range.

archp625

WKR
I love my Nikon's. For the price I do not think you can go wrong. I have a Monarch 2.5-10 x 42 on a .270 that I love. It has the BDC reticle on that scope. I also have a Prostaff 5 on my AR with the XR turret. Love that scope. I just picked up a new Monarch 5 3-15 X 42 w/ XR turret for my 6.5 Creedmoor. If i were you i would pick something in the Monarch series. I also own a 3-9 x 40 Rimfire of my 10/22. I'm pretty much all Nikon. I will say this Vortex is a nice scope as well. One of my buddies has a viper. I will say this, my binos and spotting scope are Vortex.