Aftermarket stock?

My ole 700 in .300win shoots okay but I'm wondering if an aftermarket stock would make a noticeable improvement. Got the original synthetic stock on it now. Put better glass on it (NF) and contemplating a stock change for distance backpacking. Bear in mind the only thing I know for sure is I don't know chit about such modifications. Be gentle okay?

Last edited:

Akicita

WKR
Many variables but yes an after market stock can make a noticeable difference. I am running versions of McMillan and Hougue stocks on a a few 700's I own. A few students I was instructing in a long range precision rifle class were running the Magpul Hunter stock and I was pretty impressed with that for the price point. Certainly a durable stock that comes in at a decent weight for packing. The McMillan's (Tactical A-4) and Hougues I'm running are kind of heavy. My issued M40A3 weighed in excess of 15 pounds. . .

A good stock and bedding will definitely help your rifle group more consistent and most likely tighter. Many choices out there but McMillan and manners are very nice and what I'd recommend.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Last edited:

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I put a model 70 in 270 WSM in a bell and carlson stock. It shot great out of it and I felt it tamed the recoil a bit over the wood stock.

It was basically bolt on and shoot it but I do remember having to smooth out the barrel channel a bit with sand paper.

I bought from Redhawk rifles but this was back in 2009ish.

muddydogs

WKR
Its hard to say with the info provided, whats ok? If it's not shooting a less then 1 inch group at 100 yards then it's probably not the stock. Have you checked the barrel channel with a couple dollar bills to see if the stock is tight or touching the barrel anywhere? What is your current group size, at what distance and what kind of rest?

I'm sure a stock would help but I would hate to see a guy spend a bunch of money on a stock only to find that the rifle really doesn't like the ammo being used or the problem is shooter error. If you really want a stock then go that route but if you are on the fence about purchasing a stock there are a few things to do and check first that might solve your issues.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Was looking at these, whaddaya think? Bell & Carlson Medalist Weatherby Style Stocks for Mark V, Vanguard & Remington 700 - Sporter / Hunting Stocks - Bell & Carlson Stocks - Stocks by Brand

Need a tough, all weather stock that can take abuse. I understand a certain amount of weight is necessary to shoot a hot and heavy .300win bullet. This seemed like a decent compromise. Would I need a gunsmith for proper installation? I know they sometimes require "tweaking" to center bed.

Several of my M700 and Model Seven rifles wear a B&C Medalist. Mine just have the raised check piece. I like them, but they are a little heavy. However, they don't cost a fortune either. I've bought several from Stockystocks, too.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Tack driver at 100 yards...cloverleafs or close to it however once I get to 300+ my groups drastically widen to 4"-6" and at 600 it is ugly.

TheCougar

WKR
I dropped a tikka 7mm into a Bell and Carlson stock and I really like it. Makes the recoil more comfortable and just makes the gun feel better, to sound all Zen-like...

Tack driver at 100 yards...cloverleafs or close to it however once I get to 300+ my groups drastically widen to 4"-6" and at 600 it is ugly.

I agree the stock probably isn't the main issue here. Could be form being exposed at the longer distances, could be the ammo, trigger pull, barrel getting hot, etc
A sub MOA gun at a 100 is usually gonna be decent out to 400-500. My gins that shoot MOA are decent to 400. The one that is crap at 100 is crap at 400 too.

I have free floated my barrels, and epoxied the front lug- it is easy and I think it helped a ton. This is on a stock 700 as well.

LaHunter

WKR
I would look at a new trigger first. I have had good performance from Timney in my M700. I would suspect this will make a more significant positive improvement than a stock for your first modification.
If the current synthetic stock that your rifle is in is the 'plastic tupperware' type stock, then a new stock / bedding can and will help. Those cheap stocks flex with the slightest pressure and can change POI. I have used H.S. Precision stocks for several years and have been happy with them.

Good Luck.