Coriolis Effect

OP
mfllood3800
You should have been looking at spin drift first as it has a greater effect on POI then the earths rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea there's a learning curve for sure

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
If you can shoot good enough to worry about either right off the bat you are way ahead of most. I can think of about 50 things i had or have to perfect before even thinking of either of those and truth be told till i get to the 1500 yard mark and hit with moa consistency i wont worry about them. Shooting at 1134 the other day and did not account for either and hitting the plate each and every time till the wind would gust and i didnt read it right. What cal and make of gun and glass are you shooting?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would not worry about Coriolis for 99.5 percent of LR shots.

Worry about wind calls. Shoot in lots of different conditions. IF you can, shoot in the places you will hunt.

Luke,

The SIG is worth its weight in gold when LR hunting rutting deer:)

Every second matters!

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a reasonably accurate rifle and a scope that tracks properly you should be well on your way. I find it far easier to input all the needed data for the correct dope rather than sit and wonder why I can't hit the target on one day and other days I'm right on. 2 MOA is a long way off at 1000 yards. It's hard enough learning to fight with the wind. Starting a little off due to being to lazy to input a couple more numbers into a program makes it a lot harder.

OP
mfllood3800
edge 300 rum from fierce
Night force 5x20 nxs

Right now I'm only using xbolt 300 Wm
Vortex 6x24 pst

I have practiced in good head wins
And 3 o'clock as well

At 400 I could hit metal, consistently and even out to 500

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Why not the g2?
It's weight?
Or performance?

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
$1,500

I'm trying to suggest the cheap route. If you find you are having good results and want to speed up the process you can try the g2.

OP
mfllood3800
Ok copy that.
I want to learn the tech side of the data and what it does, what it requires so I am familiar with LR.

I am looking at apps now
I have already used several BC for developing drop charts for my 3 other rifles.
I just need to find one that isn't overly complicated for the first time user and go from there.
Thx for taking the time to respond and help.

KurtR

WKR
Strelok plus or pro are easy to use. A data book is in valuable and take good notes every time you shoot. I like the ones storm tactical have.

OP
mfllood3800
I downloaded Strelok pro. Set up my first gun easily enough, incl ammo,weather info etc.
It is super close to what I have already shot out to the 400 yrd distance- that was surprising to me.

KurtR

WKR
Use the trajectory validation once you start shooting farther to fine tune the velocity. What chrono are you using to get the velocity. I think the lab radar is my next purchase

OP
mfllood3800
I originally did it the hard way- I used the manufacturers specs, and set moa clicks based on that, then sent down range shots in groups of 3 until I got the bulls at each set distance.
Took for ever, but I know my dope is 100% on out to 500.

I didn't realize the chrono I have would work. I use it for bow, but says it is also for bullets. It is a Caldwell. Not the best for sure, but will be interesting to see how close it is when inputting the data based on what I have already verified.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
edge 300 rum from fierce
Night force 5x20 nxs

Right now I'm only using xbolt 300 Wm
Vortex 6x24 pst

I have practiced in good head wins
And 3 o'clock as well

At 400 I could hit metal, but not good enough to go further yet

The best favor you could do yourself is to get a fast twist 223 (Tikka T3 SL), a robust mounting system, a SWFA SS 6x42mm or 3-9x42mm scope with MQ reticle, and 1,000 rounds of 75/77gr match ammo. Learning to shoot and hit at long range is about round counts. Round counts is about fun. Correct technique, knowledge and equipment helps you get those rounds and have them give you meaningful feedback. 300RUM's and 300WM's are not "fun". You are over gunned and it will take you far longer to figure this out with the above items than it would with a good 223 amd scope.

I originally did it the hard way- I used the manufacturers specs, and set moa clicks based on that, then sent down range shots in groups of 3 until I got the bulls at each set distance.
Took for ever, but I know my dope is 100% on out to 400.

I didn't realize the chrono I have would work. I use it for bow, but says it is also for bullets. It is a Caldwell. Not the best for sure, but will be interesting to see how close it is when inputting the data based on what I have already verified.

The Caldwell will not provide data good enough to use. There is no need to shoot at every distance- get a solid 100 yard zero, calibrate your scopes adjustments, set all the parameters in the Ballistic app correctly- use a Litz BC for your bullet, get an approximate velocity and then see what range the velocity is at 1,340fps or a bit over and get your hits centered up at that range. Then look at how many minutes/mils it took from your 100 yard zero and adjust the velocity in the calculated until it matches your actual adjustment. That's called "trueing" and everything out to that tame will be correct.... if your scope is working properly, and it probably isn't.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice there other than I don't feel a super light weapon is a good choice for learning long range precision shooting. Even if it is a 223. If you can shoot that well you can shoot anything well.

OP
mfllood3800
why wouldn't my scope be working properly ?
I'm talking the NF scope?

It will be set by Fierce, with a custom turret. They have their shop 1 hr from me. It is suppose to come set up and ready to validate out to a 1000.

KurtR

WKR
What he is saying you won't practice enough. Shooting a 300 rum is punishment after about 10 rounds unless it is about 15 pounds. Good equipment with bad technique won't equal good shooting. Frank Gali on Snipershide has some good videos on the fundamentals of proper form. You get more from trigger time than anything.

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
What he is saying you won't practice enough. Shooting a 300 rum is punishment after about 10 rounds unless it is about 15 pounds. Good equipment with bad technique won't equal good shooting. Frank Gali on Snipershide has some good videos on the fundamentals of proper form. You get more from trigger time than anything.

Trigger time with good technique will lead to better results (hence the .223 recommendation mentioned above). Trigger time with a flame-belching dragon and a flinch, will only lead to a worse flinch...

Trigger time with good technique will lead to better results (hence the .223 recommendation mentioned above). Trigger time with a flame-belching dragon and a flinch, will only lead to a worse flinch...

I have a high end .22 that is the best training rifle, partially due to it's super light and low travel trigger. I use small 2" targets at 50 yards and if you jerk the trigger at all you'll be in the 7 ring. Just keep practicing till you're surprised when you drop on into the 9 ring. Also, since a .22 is easily effected by wind it helps you learn to deal with wind. You wouldn't believe how many people that consider themselves pretty good shooters wouldn't be able to keep that rifle in the center ring.