Sako twist rate

jjd

FNG
Looking at getting a a7 long range on clearance in .300wm. I want to shoot 215 bergers, is the 1/11 twist rate on this too slow for that heavy of bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I would look at other rifles for the 215. Savage long range hunter, CA Mesa, something with a normal mag box and twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ID_Matt

WKR
I have that exact gun. Twist rate is probably a little slow for that bullet, and mag box is going to make it tough to seat those bigger bullets how you want them. Not saying it couldn't be done. Mine shoots 185 berger classic hunters 1/2 moa.

OP
jjd

jjd

FNG
I have that exact gun. Twist rate is probably a little slow for that bullet, and mag box is going to make it tough to seat those bigger bullets how you want them. Not saying it couldn't be done. Mine shoots 185 berger classic hunters 1/2 moa.

What’s the total weight of gun with scope?

OP
jjd

jjd

FNG
Think I pull get away with shooting the Berger 200’s? A lot of guys seem to be shooting those in the tikkas which are similar.

Think I pull get away with shooting the Berger 200’s? A lot of guys seem to be shooting those in the tikkas which are similar.

The only berger 200s I'm familiar with have a long nose like the 215s so you'd have the same issues with distance from lands but might take up less case capacity seating them deep.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I've shot Nosler 210s out of an 11 twist. Good results at 100 and 200 yds. I don't run then exclusively though, just testing.

ID_Matt

WKR
I am not sure. I shot the eld-x 200 gr out of it and it shot decent but not great. Even those are much too long to be able to get seated close to the lands. The Sako/Tikka's really aren't great for long, skinny bullets such as the eld-x, berger vld, etc. just because of the magazine. I think they could still potentially shoot fine but I have had better luck with the more traditional bullets- berger classic hunter, nosler accubond. The classic hunters are designed for guns with magazines like sako, you can seat them right up next to the lands and still fit in your magazine.

ID_Matt

WKR
If you are dead set on shooting 200's or above I think you are better off getting something else besides the A7. But if you want to shoot something less than that I think the Sako does great.

OP
jjd

jjd

FNG
Any experience with the browning hell’s canyon long range McMillan? Another gun I’ve been thinking of.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Any experience with the browning hell’s canyon long range McMillan? Another gun I’ve been thinking of.

I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300wm with a 1:11 twist. I can fit the 215's no problem in the mag box with room to spare. BUT, I think 1:11 is better suited to a 180-185gr so that's what that gun get's fed. I run the 215's in a 1:10 twist rifle but would even probably prefer a 1:9. If you are at a decently high altitude that could make all the difference. Above 5k feet and the 215's can stabilize in a bit slower twist.

I'd skip the Browning but that's personal opinion. The stock is nice but the rest of it is so so. May as well build a semi-custom instead for that money. This has been discussed before but for not much more you could run a nice Mcmillan or manners stock with a rem 700 long action and extended mag box with a bartlein #3 or 2b and a trigger of choice that will be nicer (in my opinion) than the browning. I have a browning Stainless stalker which is the same barreled action in a plastic stock. I wouldn't waste 5 bucks putting that action in a Mcmillan or manners.

OP
jjd

jjd

FNG
Either going to buy a Tikka t3x in 300wsm and send it to hells canyon armory for new stock, barrel, and break. Or just buy one of his custom guns in .300wm. Thanks for all the reply’s.