Books on long range

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plan on developing my long range rifle skills which are currently nonexistent. Which books would you recommend on the subject?

Live2hunt custom shelters

Fire_9

WKR
You'll pick up a few things with the books but mtmuley is right. There's not substitute for trigger time. Figuring out the vertical game is no big deal, it's the wind that gets most people. If you have a good setup and are decent with a rifle, there's no reason why you can't easily rock steel at 1k on a calm day. It always seems stupid simple when the wind isn't blowing.

I will throw out a couple suggestions on your setup that I wish someone would have told me when I started. Get a scope with a reticle that matches your dials. Doesn't matter if its moa/moa or mil/mil but just make sure they're the same. To me it seemed kind of dumb but add a level to your scope and level your reticle to a plumb bob. For me it was the best $60 I could have spent

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Nathan foster series of books. if you start with the first book it will walk you through cartridge selection and go all the way through rifle maintenance and individual bullet selection. he goes in depth with shooting form, reloading terminal performance and beyond. I've read then books from start to finish and will continue to go back to them. they are definitely worth the investment for every shooter no matter what your experience level