Long range set up help

skierhs

WKR
So right now, I have a .270 win topped with a NF SHV 4-14. I feel very comfortable taking that out to around 800 yards with the load that I am shooting. My next set up I think I am going with is going to be a CA BA Tactical chambered in 338LM and topped with a NF ATACR 7-35 F1(or the 5-25 due to extra 20 moa of vertical travel it allows). I’m fairly set on this set up for a combination of reasons such as costs, weight, ect. I plan on shooting the 338 a good deal to practice but I am looking for a cheaper alternative to shoot than the 270/338 every few days that won’t kill the bank but allows me to train. I am leaning towards a .223 because the ammo is cheaper overall and topping it with the NF that I already have on the .270 win. Is this a mistake to go with the 223 or any of the above set up? I’m newer to the game then some but not brand new either. Thanks in advance!

I suppose it depends how much you're really going to practice. 223 if fun and cheap and makes you learn how to read wind at longer distance. I've found my AR with 77 Gr TMK's @ 2800 fps is pretty good to 500 yards with minimal wind. Once you get to 600+ its pretty sporty and gets blown around a lot. A bolt gun with 75 ELDs or RDFs loaded longer could do better. Do you reload?

I personally enjoy playing with my 6.5x47 at 500-1000+ more than messing with the 223. It happens that my 6.5 is in a Desert Tech platform that I have a 300 Norma conversion for which makes it nice to practice with only need one Scope for both calibers. I don't get to shoot enough for the cost of 6.5 bullets, powder, primers to be much of a burden.

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
I do have a 22 lr 10/22. Would it make more sense to upgrade the stock, trigger, ect or for me to just get a nicer bolt action?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So right now, I have a .270 win topped with a NF SHV 4-14. I feel very comfortable taking that out to around 800 yards with the load that I am shooting. My next set up I think I am going with is going to be a CA BA Tactical chambered in 338LM and topped with a NF ATACR 7-35 F1(or the 5-25 due to extra 20 moa of vertical travel it allows). I’m fairly set on this set up for a combination of reasons such as costs, weight, ect. I plan on shooting the 338 a good deal to practice but I am looking for a cheaper alternative to shoot than the 270/338 every few days that won’t kill the bank but allows me to train. I am leaning towards a .223 because the ammo is cheaper overall and topping it with the NF that I already have on the .270 win. Is this a mistake to go with the 223 or any of the above set up? I’m newer to the game then some but not brand new either. Thanks in advance!

The best favor one can do for their field shooting ability at medium to long range is to get a Tikka T3 SL in 223 with the 1/8" twist barrel, a solid scope with mil reticle and adjustments, 75/77gr ammo, and shoot it to destruction.