Fierce Edge Rifle

The Fierce Edge Rifle finally showed up, and I have done a once over checking it out.
I ran a few cleaning patches thru it to clean out the bore as well as cleaned off the bolt lug area etc.

Rifle first impressions is good.
Weight doesn't seem too bad, even with the NF on top. I think it is close to 2 lbs lighter than the Browning 300 I hauled around this year.
The scope caps (NF) I added, up front wont fit in the upright position so I simply rotate them to the side so they clear when opening and closing.
The rear ones rotate with the adjustment of the power range setting, but have a feature that allows just the ring to rotate back to any desired position. I have it set to be fully to the right t lowest power setting and when set to highest it is all the way to the left- this will also give an quick reference peek as I get used to it to where the power setting is without having to locate the lazered indicating numbers on the ocular.
Talley light weight rings are simple and clean.
I installed a level for the longer shots.

I am going to have to add a cheek riser for my liking. I am naturally a bit low in the scope when I set up. I was hoping the weld was tall enough but it isn't. - easy fix

Hard to beat the Atlas pod set ups.

The bolt felt a bit more loose in the action that I expected, but will decide that after some groups are sent.
It is definitely smooth- no complaints there at all. I love the fluted aspect on any bolt.

I was very concerned over the 2.5 lb pull on the trigger being a bit too heavy for my liking, but it sure feels more like 1.5 to me- very nice.

The break is clean and unnoticeable and the Limb saver at the other end will both aid in taming the RUM loads.

2 swivel set up is nice for a sling set up, but I carry the gun bearer and rifle rides in that so I don't use slings, but it's great having it if ever needed. I haven't gotten deep into it to see how it is mounted into the stock yet.

The included target is what I would expect this gun to shoot. Nice that it can do that with factory ammo as well.

More to come after some rounds sent through the tube.edge.jpgedge2.jpgedge3.jpgedge4 target.jpg

freshta

WKR
Looking forward to hearing how it shoots for you. Is the action a Tikka clone? It looks like it from the pics. How smooth is the action when cranking in a round? I've been eyeballing the fury lr for a while now.

OP
mfllood3800
I think its more of a Sako type set up, the action is Fierces own, but don't have the engineering insight to what they used.
I haven't fed it anything yet.
Got a call to go out and locate some bulls for a guy, and my truck broke down, I'm waiting on the tow company to call me back and see if they want to venture out into no mans land.
lol
I'm on here killing time.

Good news I bedded 2 bulls and about 8 cows.

The guy I was spotting for gave me a ride back into town, and he has the Christensen arms 300 rum- looked like it was a Summit, he said he loved it, super light. I told him our rifles were cousins lol

I will report back once I get some ammo thru it for sure

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
The actions are wire cut EDM Sako 85 clones with the top cut to use 700 bases. It is one of the smoothest actions I have ever cycled and I have cycled a lot of different actions. The control round feed feeds smoother than anything I have spent any time with. This is probably my favorite action for a hunting rifle.

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
What size rings/NF scope are you running?

I have a .338 win mag fierce edge with 3.5-15 NXS and have found the cheek rise to be perfect. Interested to see your groupings. I have consistently been shooting sub moa groups and don't consider myself a skilled shooter relative to many on the forum.

OP
mfllood3800
I went with just the Tallys and the 5.5x22x50. I was hoping this would keep scope low enough. I will get to the range and begin a routine and see if it falls into place better in action vs here at the house. But it appears to be around 1/4-1/2" low for me forcing me to plant my cheek a little softer.

I will be posting up pics of groupings.
My nephew is a sniper for SWAT and we have been working together for a while. Him being tactical me being hunting, we have a great time swapping info.

Will be fun shooting rocks out at distance

OP
mfllood3800
Here are my first groups.

The metal gong target is 810 yards with varying winds from 4.6-6.8 mph from 2:00
- The bottom 3 were my first groups.
I was a tad low, so added a click
- The top 3 (one barely caught the top right of the target) are my second group

The sight n see paper target is my 400,500, 600 yard target
- there 3 different 3 shot groups there- pretty easy to see them

I am close to keeping MOA, but am off keeping the 1/2 moa.
Will need more range time.
It felt good for the first range session, but lots of room for improvement for sure.

All shots were from prone off the bipod and a rear sand bag which was too short, I need a taller one, as I couldn't squeeze it enough to get it high enough on some shots.
I will say I was not comfortable on all these shots and it is reflected in the POI.

The gun will be a great shooter. Now I just need to do my part better.target810.jpgtarget600.jpg
503242383529048c4268aa0d9cff475f.jpg
33d3c8e515d200e4b468d85c71e531a6.jpg
898089a44703c7eb3458d800ff15dcba.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Went out again today between tasks and shot 710 yrds and 900 yrds,
I need practice...
lol

I already shot up to 8something the other day ( I am just verifying different marks on turret) So I went to 710.
Today I shot E to W. The first day I shot N to S.

I utilized my Swarovski 20x55x80 spotter with a Phoneskope set up to record each shot s I could review them as I didn't have a spotter.

My crosswind was minimal where I was, but close to 4.8 at the target. I saw a couple of my 710 yard shots just hit right, but great height, Once I dialed the wind, I was in the zone.

My 900 was next and I hit 2 low but good wind and finally on the 3rd shot got one on the target, barely, but centered, just low again. I could've given it a click and maybe been on all 3. It could've just been me pulling it too. It was mid way thru my day and I may have been flinching. I didn't feel like I was.

edge710.jpg

After just two trips to the mountains I'd say I really like the gun.
The supplied break does an amazing job of taming the recoil. I can shoot a box no problem in one sitting.

Kind of wishing I would've got the Carbon barrel. Not just for the weight factor, but also for cooling duration, as well as the cool carbon factor.
:)
I take 3 shots with a at least 5 minutes between each shot and let it sit for at least 15 minutes, after the 3 shot group ended, as it gets very warm to the touch.

I tried the magazine on some range sets, and it feeds perfectly.
The trigger is perfect for me. It is crisp, yet set fairly light to still give the surprise.

I have gotten used to the cheek weld and decided not to add any height ( a concern I had at first).
I can set up on target, close my eyes, reposition and open and be super close to a relaxed eye relief centered nicely.

I love the Atlas bipod. It loads just enough to allow a great control of recoil into the rear bag.
- my rear bag sucks and I have a newer taller one coming.
I've been using a small bag on top of a home made sand bag pillow to get the height that is comfortable for me.
Todays shooting was totally better as far as comfort in my set up, than the first day with out the extra pillow.

The NF scope went from 200, 300, 500, 800, 710 and 900 yrds and kept right on target.
My original windage set up from Fierce was off (for me) 9 clicks. (1/4 moa click)
Once that was dialed in I was money.
I have 1 complaint on the NF and that is the power setting rotates the entire ocular, which becomes a problem for the lens cap, but it is set up to rotate freely w/o moving the power. I just wish it wasn't connected so to speak with the power setting.

It has a limbsaver on it and I think that assists a great deal on this bigger caliber. Yet my distance is still really good in my shoulder to eye relief

My bipod rail came loose the first day, and I didn't notice it til I was done. I came home, reset it with blue lock tight and today it was still tight.
I have cleaned it twice now. The first time was after a box of 20.
Then again today I did some other stuff goofing off to crazy distances and ran another 20 thru it so I cleaned it again.

I am comfortable enough with it to shoot out 900 right now.

My next trip to the hills will be that 1000 yard range and more.

I really like the Fierce product.
I would recommend them to someone looking for a rifle for LR, that is in that middle tier of pricing.
It is not the lowest costing rifle out there and certainly isn't the highest, but what you get is well worth the cost - to me anyway.
No doubt building/assembling your own would be more cost effective, but for me, using factory loads, I am pleased with the guns repeatability and effective end results.

***Added- gun weighs right at 10 lbs 3 ozs which includes the bipod and huge NF scope.
Take these off and it is easily a 7 lb something rifle

The gun took 3 weeks, even though it was a "in stock item". But they did have to mount scope, send turret off to get custom engraved, and then range verify the yardage turret and ship it out. I ordered mine right as the Utah deer rifle hunt was getting going, so 3 weeks isn't bad at all.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
How many rounds does it take to get the bbl fouled again? I used to clean like that but then i had to waste 5 rounds every time to get bbl back to where it was. Now i just clean when accuracy falls off or it is raining or wet conditions. Seems that 500 round spot is where i notice some fall off i am running a bartlien bbl.

OP
mfllood3800
1 shot to clean out barrel and I am on target
John @ Fierce told me to clean it after a box of bullets, so I did, it is working good so far.
But perhaps that will get less as time goes on.

I asked if it needed to be broke in and he said no.

KurtR

WKR
Seems like that is more the consensus than not that bbl break in is a myth with good match grade bbls now. I did the break in on one gun and not the other and the only difference is i wasted time doing the clean and shoot jazz.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I own (well my wife`s gun) Fierce edge in 300 win. It shoots and handles well, if memory serves me correctly the recommended ammo was Barnes 180 TTSX and it shot 1/4 MOA out of the box. I hand load for it, 215 berger`s around 1/2 MOA. My only complaint is the recoil lug assembly, poorly designed. I did a bedding job on it in an attempt to improve it. It helped but showed very minimal performance gains so I dont recommend doing it unless its a last resort. I tip my hat to Mogle for customer service as well; they make a good rifle and its price point is sits between factory and custom.
Bartlien Barrels has a good video on the topic of barrel break in / cleaning. I agree with KurtR 100%, a top end hand lapped barrel will break in quickly and run copper free longer.

freshta

WKR
Any more info on this rifle now that you've had it a couple of weeks? Likes...dislikes? Also, I see they sent a target with the bullet info on it, but did it also tell you what brand of ammo they used? Or did they have to handload to get that number? Either way, that's a great group.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
The wife's came with the factory ammo written on the MFG target that came with the rifle. I bought a box for break in, 3 shots in one hole with me pulling the trigger 1/4 MOA.

I have about 800 rds thru it now, owned it for 2 years. Its a good rifle; I picked it up at Sportsman warehouse for $1800.

Stock is so so; if I were to do it again I would prob by a sako and save a few $. But I'm not knocking there product, it performs as advertised.

freshta

WKR
Thanks a bunch. I'm having a tough time figuring out what rifle to finally pull the trigger on (Pun intended).

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend handling one before you buy it; so your not surprised by the plastic feeling stock. That and the lack of a real recoil lug is my only negative comments. Also, the edge in a long action weighs 8# FYI