SWFA SS 6x vs. 10X? Also, rings and base questions.....

Just bought one the the Cabela's Savage 12FV in 6.5. Couldn't resist the price and wanted a 6.5 for a while.

I'm not experienced in long range shooting whatsoever, but based on some research and advice I decided to go with a SWFA SS in MIL clicks. I don't want to break the bank, considering I'm saving for some out of state hunts. This is something I hope to turn into a hobby, but I have a lot of other hobbies so I'm very price conscience at this point.

Would you guys go with the 6x or 10x? I worry a little about 10x being a little much on close shots, but the 10x will be better at 500 yds. plus shots. The 12FV is a pretty heavy gun, but I do plan on using it for hunting, especially spring bear in Hell's Canyon where shots tend to be longer. Doesn't mean that 100 yds and in shots aren't a possibility. Keep in mind my effective range at the moment is 400, so I will be doing a fair amount of shooting/practice over the coming year to try and learn this new hobby.

Next question: 30mm low rings and 20 MOA picatinny rail. I plan on bedding the rail and lapping the rings. Looking at the Nightforce rail that retails for around $50.

For rings I've been eyeing the SWFA SS tactical 30mm low rings at $35 or the Burris Extreme Tactical low 30mm rings at $50.

Thoughts on the rail and ring choices? Would like to try and keep weight down a little, but at the end of the day the scope and gun combined are heavy, so not sure if spending over double on the rings will save me any real weight.

Am I off to be looking at low rings? I think with a 42mm objective I should be fine with low rings.

Lots of questions, sorry about that! Trying to make the purchases when things usually go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Thanks!

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on using the rifle primarily for hunting, then I'd go 6x. If target shooting will make up the majority of its use, then the 10x is a better mousetrap.

Any of the popular rails work well- NF, EGW, Weaver extended pic rail, Talley, etc. Choose whichever looks best to you. I really love the Burris XTR Sig rings, but the cheaper options you mentioned also work.

WKR
If you buy one on the Black Friday sale, most years they throw in their rings, a level, and the scope for around $260 total. I sold off the last levels I had for around $25 each. So it really is around $240 or so I guess. I used my 6x to shoot a bear at 600 yards, was fine. I also had a situation in 2016 where I just could not tell which buck was which at 550 yards in poor lighting with it. Not sure if a 10x would have helped there or not.

Regardless, if you buy on Black Friday, you'll get all of your money back if you decide to sell in 6-8 months. For that reason, I'd say buy both on Black Friday and sell the one you like the least.

OP
F
If you plan on using the rifle primarily for hunting, then I'd go 6x. If target shooting will make up the majority of its use, then the 10x is a better mousetrap.

Any of the popular rails work well- NF, EGW, Weaver extended pic rail, Talley, etc. Choose whichever looks best to you. I really love the Burris XTR Sig rings, but the cheaper options you mentioned also work.

Low rings right, not medium? Anyone can feel free to PM me links to good deals next week!

OP
F
If you buy one on the Black Friday sale, most years they throw in their rings, a level, and the scope for around $260 total. I sold off the last levels I had for around $25 each. So it really is around $240 or so I guess. I used my 6x to shoot a bear at 600 yards, was fine. I also had a situation in 2016 where I just could not tell which buck was which at 550 yards in poor lighting with it. Not sure if a 10x would have helped there or not.

Regardless, if you buy on Black Friday, you'll get all of your money back if you decide to sell in 6-8 months. For that reason, I'd say buy both on Black Friday and sell the one you like the least.

Trust me, I've been thinking about doing just that! Didn't know they usually come with the rings for the sale. That would save me quite a bit. I'm using an FX-3 6x on my .338 now. No issues with it up to around 4-500. If I ever get to the point of shooting beyond that, which I do at least on paper, I think the 10x will be better. The 10x will only be a factor inside 100, which is rare in open country I hunt, but obviously can happen in any hunting scenario.

Clarktar

WKR
"inside of 100 rare", and the fact that the scope is going on your long range gun, which you mention you are going to practice with a fair amount, and the fact that you plan on bear hunting in an area where long shots are the norm.... it seems like the intended uses are leaning towards a 10x being a better fit.

I don't find target acquisition at 10x that difficult at 70-100 yards, Haven't shot at anything less than 70 with a scope.