New scope for my 264WM

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50mm scope on my 264 win mag. I have recently started having trouble with it not returning to zero when I dial elevation back down after shooting. I'm going to send it in to Leupold but am considering selling it after they fix or replace it. I am very happy with the clarity, low light performance, and the TMOA reticle, but I am thinking maybe I should go with a scope designed around dialing instead of a more standard hunting scope.

That said what would you all recommend I go with? My rifle weighs about 10.5lbs now loaded and ready to hunt. I use if for whitetail hunting in the Midwest as well as antelope or flatter country muleys. I'm pushing 140gr Berger VLD bullets at a mild 2914fps with it and haven't tried to hot-rod it because that load shoots great. I don't hunt at extreme range with it but would like to be able to dial to 800yds when practicing. Shooting practice at 800 helps me build confidence hunting if a 500yds shot comes up.

Our old mature whitetail seem to only cooperate at the very fringes of legal light. I've taken several of my best bucks during legal hours but on days when an overcast, foggy, misty, etc. sky has made it pretty dark pretty early. Low light performance is definitely a big factor for me. I also prefer windage turret that is capped so when I use an Eberlestock scabbard I don't accidentally dial windage while putting the rifle in or out of the scabbard.

I'd like to keep weight somewhat reasonable and stay with a 30mm or smaller tube. I'd like to have a 44 or 50mm objective. My biggest concerns are that it dials reliably, and performs well in low light. I'd like to keep the price under 2k, preferably around $1500 Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

I second the above. Have seen some demo Swaro X5s available for $2k lately too.

2five7

WKR
You'll be hard pressed to find another scope with the same low light performance as your vx6 without spending more money. I'd wait for it to come back from Leupold service and give it another go.

gbflyer

WKR
Never had a Leupold that dialed correctly, but maybe the new stuff is better. I've got an old cheap Bushnell that dials perfectly. Go figure.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. I really don't want to just give my VX-6 another go after it has had issues. I probably should but once a scope fails me I'm pretty much done with it, or at least it's done being on my favorite rifle.

I looked at the Night Force SHV scopes and saw they have a 56mm objective available. Anyone know how they do in low light and how reliable they are? That was another one I was considering.

Thanks for your help.

WKR
I have the SHV F1 4-14x50. It has been flawless and is my favorite scope. Will buy another next year.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Sightron 3-16 Stac. The Exacttrack system in the Sightron is spot on (I have 6 and dial from 50-1k yards). The return is extremely reliable. They have a really great MOA recital if you want to stick with one. I prefer the Sightron over Leupold glass. I’ve got one more leuy to sell. A vx-3 in 3.5-10, and all of the gold rings will be gone. Replaced with Sightron Stacs and S3s.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I use the reticle for wind, try to stick with MOA reticles to stay consistent. Right now I just have to remember the Z5 Swaro has 2 MOA wind holds on the 4W reticle on my light 300 win mag, everything else has 1 MOA holds.

I have 3 of the Leupold VX-6 scopes with the TMOA reticle but only really dial with the one. The other two are on a 243 and 25-06 I shoot lighter bullets from fast and don't use at extreme range. They are mostly coyote guns since I have the 264 and 300 for distance and big game. The other two are fine for my use and I'll keep them. Coyotes around here very seldom give me time to range them so I like decent wind resistance and flat trajectory over a slower higher BC bullet.