338 and 300 build

Retterath

WKR
I was planning on building a 338 last year and almost started ordering parts but held off. I wanted to build a 338 norma imp or the 338 lapua or improved. Now im back on the drawing board and maybe considering the big 30's. I see that berger is hopefully coming out with that 245 berger and I think that would be a hammer but trying to figure out what 30 cal will carry that bullet around 3000 fps. The 30's I would be considering are the 300 norma imp, 300RUM or the 30 lapua or imp. The reason I was planning on a 338 cause I like the big bullets with lots of energy. This gun will be used for elk, bear and deer. All shots hunting shots will be 1000 yards and less. I don't really want a 30" barrel plus the brake. I wanted a 26" barrel not including brake. My build will be pretty close to these components. Lone peak TI long action, manners EH-1 elite or McMillian game warden with edge fill, proof or one of the carbon barrels out there, trigger tech, Hawkins precion bottom metal or hinged floor plate. Im looking to get this gun at 9.5 lbs scoped. Thanks ryan and bruz for the input already,just wanted to post so I didn't have to keep messaging you guys. Thanks everyone.

Beastmode

WKR
With a 26” tube I don’t think the RUM would get a 245 over 3000 FPS. The 300 lapua and 300 Norma improved most likely would or right at but at that point I personally would go with a 338.
There’s something magical about a 300 grain bullet traveling at those speeds.

Either way all the options you have stated would make excellent choices for what you are wanting to kill at the distance you stated. Look forward to seeing what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300 RUM could get you there with a long throat for the 245's when they do come out but it'll be hot.
I'm working on my own 338 project right now but it'll be 6 months before any testing is done on it. My concern with any of that is going to be if you want it a single shot or repeater setup. If you want a repeater, stay away from the RUM or Lapua and go with the Norma parent case. The 300 Norma Improved would be ideal if you ask me. It's a proven chamber that responds well to the 40* shoulder. I haven't been terribly impressed with the standard 300 Norma and would definitely go improved with it.

Mike

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
I would for sure want a repeater. The only thing im worried about with the 338 and 300 bergers is the recoil with a 9.5lb gun.

ryan avery, what did you think of that precision stock works stock? What do you think of the comb? I have a skinny face and seem like I could always use a higher comb.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I have a custom throated 300 RUM pushing 230`s well over 3k with no pressure signs. If I had it to do over, I would recommend the Lapua (only because of Brass Quality). I do perfectly fine with my RUM, so I'm not bashing it- just my educated opinion having gone down this road.

A good friend of mine built a 338 Lapua using a carbon 20 inch barrel in an XLR Carbon chassis with a SilencerCo Harvester. Scoped rifle weighs in just under 10# fully dressed and shoots like a dream!!! Throwing 300 grain SMK's in the mid 2900's. IMO its all in how you build it!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A good friend of mine built a 338 Lapua using a carbon 20 inch barrel in an XLR Carbon chassis with a SilencerCo Harvester. Scoped rifle weighs in just under 10# fully dressed and shoots like a dream!!! Throwing 300 grain SMK's in the mid 2900's. IMO its all in how you build it!!

What scope is he using to be under 10 pounds with a Supressor. My XLR Carbon chassis with a 26" carbon barrel on a Tikka action is looking to be around 10.5 pounds before Supressor with a 33 oz scope on it.

2.5-10x32 nxs with Nightforce titanium rings and base. Can only comes in at 22 oz. This is his backpacking rig so he keeps it lite, he still shot his blacktail at 668 yards this year with it

Ok so just got off the phone with him and I guess I screwed that up a little! In the chassis its 11#, just under 10# was in a Western Precision carbon stock. Sorry, my bad! This guy has so much shit I guess I can't keep up

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ok so just got off the phone with him and I guess I screwed that up a little! In the chassis its 11#, just under 10# was in a Western Precision carbon stock. Sorry, my bad! This guy has so much shit I guess I can't keep up

No worries man. I hope to be about 10.25-10.5 with the 33 oz scope and just over 11 with the Suppressor.

Sounds like a heck off a rifle at any rate.

WRO

WKR
If you're limiting yourself to 1k, no need for a big 338 or even a rum..

300 win shooting 215's will get you there no problem and it will be easier on weight, recoil, and your pocket book..

just my .02

If you're limiting yourself to 1k, no need for a big 338 or even a rum..

300 win shooting 215's will get you there no problem and it will be easier on weight, recoil, and your pocket book..

just my .02

300WinMag brass is abundant, inexpensive, and easy to find compared to other options you are considering as well.