6.5 Creedmoor advice for Long Range Black Tail..

I assume I'd want to drop weight with these in mono? They say 1600 fps but I wonder if that's being optimistic. They look like they work just like a GS customs bullet where they shed off the petals. I spoke with the founder at GS, I think he was in Africa, and he was trying to convince me to drop to a 108gr. I think CA is doing a disservice to the deer here because I doubt everyone understand the limitations of the mono's.

I totally agree with them doing a disservice. I havent lost any animals using Barnes but I'm not thrilled with the performance either. I had a good 4x3 blacktail run about 100 yards after double lunging him. I was in a burn and was able to watch him eventually fall but had I been in thick cover I dont know that I would have found that deer. There was not a drop of blood on the ground. The shot was 400 yards out of my 7mm08 pushing a Barnes 150, I have since bought some 120 grain ttsx to try but have been happy with my 300 wm so havent shot anything with the 120s yet.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I totally agree with them doing a disservice. I havent lost any animals using Barnes but I'm not thrilled with the performance either. I had a good 4x3 blacktail run about 100 yards after double lunging him. I was in a burn and was able to watch him eventually fall but had I been in thick cover I dont know that I would have found that deer. There was not a drop of blood on the ground. The shot was 400 yards out of my 7mm08 pushing a Barnes 150, I have since bought some 120 grain ttsx to try but have been happy with my 300 wm so havent shot anything with the 120s yet.

My situation was nearly identical. Had mine gone another 20 yards I would have never found him. It was last 5 minutes of light on top of a nasty ravine. Slowest death I've ever seen an animal die. I hit him three times plus a finisher up close. I was really bummed on that experience. Three tiny pencils through both lungs. One bullet recovered in the off side shoulder. Again, it's a single sample but since you live here you know these don't come easy.

View attachment 62786View attachment 62787

FURMAN

WKR
I started at 44 grains of RL-26 and 2.960" COAL and worked powder charge up from there.

I’ve done an OCW but didn’t chrono yet. I was trying to figure out what to expect. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If ya don't want them to run, don't poke lungs...... take out the running gear

I do agree with breaking them down with a shoulder shot now, but its still not a good feeling to have one little hole going in and coming out and no blood to follow if you do happen to get a little further back than intended. We all know sometimes a less than perfect shot can happen and I just feel like with a more frangible bullet you have a better chance of recovery.

The 140 ELD M is a nasty piece of work. I've got a handful of kills from 250-750 out of my 22" 6.5 CM with it. All of them exhibited surprisingly similar wound channels. Excellent fragmentation, complete penetration, and very dead critters. My muley buck this year at 755 made it 30 yards before going down. All were shot in the vitals, but I keep it close to the shoulder as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'd limit the range for the Creedmoor a bit. It's been a while since I ran the numbers, but I think it was 550-600 for me. It sounds like you need a 264 Win Mag or a 26 Nosler.

At minimum, you need to make sure you're using the Hunter VLD. The nose of the target jacket is too think and might not break down when it strikes an animal. The target VLD may pencil. I believe the hunter will perform to a lower velocity. IIRC.

GLB

WKR
^^^ The 6.5s are great longrange, accurate round and great for hunting. I mostly hunt with the 708 which has similar ballistics as the 6.5 and I have hit targets out to 1500 yards but would limit it to 600 for hunting.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
The 140 ELD M is a nasty piece of work. I've got a handful of kills from 250-750 out of my 22" 6.5 CM with it. All of them exhibited surprisingly similar wound channels. Excellent fragmentation, complete penetration, and very dead critters. My muley buck this year at 755 made it 30 yards before going down. All were shot in the vitals, but I keep it close to the shoulder as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pathfinder,
Can I ask the finished weight of your 6.5 Creedmoor?