6.5 Creedmoor advice for Long Range Black Tail..

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to get a load set up for my primary black tail rifle. I've been shooting hogs with the 127lrx and one deer. I need to extend the reach a bit 750-800 yds. when I crunch the numbers I'm stuck between taking the speed of the 130gr Berger VLD or the BC of the 140gr Berger. Also, If I go 140gr which Berger should I pick? This gun shoots the 130 VLD really well as well as the 140gr AMAX. I have plenty of room in my mag.IMG_0058.jpg Do I stick with 130 or step up to 140? I ruled out the 147 since I have a 22 inch barrel but I'm open to rethinking that as well.

Gun is a 6.5 Creedmoor built by Chad Dixon
Mausingfield SA
22" KP Barrel 1-8 twist
Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50

At that point I’d let the rifle tell you which one it likes. Lighter bullets equal less recoil but 10 grains isn’t much. I like the VLD’s a lot and would go 130 vld over 140 amax just because I don’t like the amax performance on medium sized game at extended ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
At that point I’d let the rifle tell you which one it likes. Lighter bullets equal less recoil but 10 grains isn’t much. I like the VLD’s a lot and would go 130 vld over 140 amax just because I don’t like the amax performance on medium sized game at extended ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that, I planned to scrap the AMAX after they are gone. Assuming the 140vld and 130vld shoot the same which would you go with? This gun likes everything and anything. Total opposite of my 300.

GLB

WKR
Chad builds nice rifles, he built my 708. I use 140 VLD as that's what the rifle really like and in your case I would work up the loads with each and see what it likes. That 140 Berger should do well in your 6.5

Fire_9

WKR
The 130's out of my 6.5x47 have put a hurting on everything it's been pointed at. I think you're splitting hairs and would be happy with either choice.

WRO

WKR
I think your still going to be limited to 700 and in, the bergers don't expand well under 1800 FPS..

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I think your still going to be limited to 700 and in, the bergers don't expand well under 1800 FPS..

I'm probably trying to squeeze to much out of this. I started down the 6.5 GAP 4s trail and that's how I got to this question. The bolt faces and extractors are swappable on the mausingfield action but I'd have to rebarrel and this little 6.5 just shoots so good I'm not sure it's worth messing with.

FURMAN

WKR
I will not comment on what you will or will not be able to accomplish as far as effective killing distance with the Creedmoor. It can be a great long range round. I would suggest doing a OCW with the 150SMK or 147 ELDM and one of the 140 Bergers. Once you find the load and velocity you can do the important calculations to figure impact velocities and energies to determine effective killing range. The altitude you intend to hunt in will play some role.

FreeRange

WKR
Are you building this to hunt blacktail out of state? Just a reminder that next season will be the last you can hunt with lead projectiles anywhere in CA.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Are you building this to hunt blacktail out of state? Just a reminder that next season will be the last you can hunt with lead projectiles anywhere in CA.

I do realize that. I'll be using it next year and then out of state for other medium sized game after that. I have a non lead Barnes 127gr LRX load already that is very accurate. I am hesitant to shoot another deer with them though. Probably just run my 300 when that law goes full force. If I don't draw a good tag next year I may just go out of state altogether.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would look at the Hornady 140 ELD Match. The BC is better than any of the bullets you have mentioned and may get your desired effective range closer to what you are looking for.

FreeRange

WKR
Cool just wanted to be sure. What issues were you seeing with the LRX’s? After this season is over my plan was to start working on a load with the 127’s for my 6.5.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are looking for California compliant, take a look at Cutting Edge Bullets, they have pretty good BC's for copper bullets.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you are looking for California compliant, take a look at Cutting Edge Bullets, they have pretty good BC's for copper bullets.

Agree 100%...all the CE bullets I have shot, seem to group really well and my buddies that have used them on game say they work great. Much better BC than Barnes certainly.

That said I am running 143 ELDX at 2900+ as well as 147 at 2850+ out of my 24" barrel Tikka. Have used it this year for 2 blacktail deer just inside 500 yards (495 on both of them) and two large bull caribou at 450 and 470 each. All died quickly. However, 450-500 is a far cry from 800. But that said even with a DA of 0' I am still 1900 fps impact velocity. Might be worth looking into. However, if you are looking to consitently shoot deer out the far 6.5 SAUM is likely better and you don't gotta drive nearly as hard and still get MUCH better impact velocities for the bullet to work. I can tell you first hand that at 1650 fps impact velocities the ELDX do not open up like their claimed 1600 fps the box claims. :)

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Cool just wanted to be sure. What issues were you seeing with the LRX’s? After this season is over my plan was to start working on a load with the 127’s for my 6.5.

The LRX are extremely accurate to 1k for me. BUT I shot a beautiful 4x4 last year up in Bridgeville and the barnes penciled on me from 200 yds. The second one folded over and didn't mushroom. I think the mono's function better with shorter fater bullets. The deer died but it was slower than I prefer. I understand it's just a sample of one. But trophy bucks here come in small samples. They work but if I'm gonna have to use those I'd rather just take a 30-06 with a 150 gr and limit myself to 500. That said I haven't completely given up.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Agree 100%...all the CE bullets I have shot, seem to group really well and my buddies that have used them on game say they work great. Much better BC than Barnes certainly.

That said I am running 143 ELDX at 2900+ as well as 147 at 2850+ out of my 24" barrel Tikka. Have used it this year for 2 blacktail deer just inside 500 yards (495 on both of them) and two large bull caribou at 450 and 470 each. All died quickly. However, 450-500 is a far cry from 800. But that said even with a DA of 0' I am still 1900 fps impact velocity. Might be worth looking into. However, if you are looking to consitently shoot deer out the far 6.5 SAUM is likely better and you don't gotta drive nearly as hard and still get MUCH better impact velocities for the bullet to work. I can tell you first hand that at 1650 fps impact velocities the ELDX do not open up like their claimed 1600 fps the box claims. :)

I will check the CE out for sure. One of my hunting buddies mentioned those last week. He's running GS customs in 308 130gr but the BC's suck on those too. I saw one hit a hog last week. Interesting thing on those is they actually shed the petals. We recovered one and it was just the bottom half of the slug and 2 of the 4 petals. Can you give me your Tikka specs? I have one in my safe that's not being used. Considered putting on a Barlein 2b and rechambering to 6.5. Did you start with a 308 bolt face and just rebarrel it? I have the L mag in mine. I assume I'd want to keep that.

OP
C

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider

I assume I'd want to drop weight with these in mono? They say 1600 fps but I wonder if that's being optimistic. They look like they work just like a GS customs bullet where they shed off the petals. I spoke with the founder at GS, I think he was in Africa, and he was trying to convince me to drop to a 108gr. I think CA is doing a disservice to the deer here because I doubt everyone understand the limitations of the mono's.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I will check the CE out for sure. One of my hunting buddies mentioned those last week. He's running GS customs in 308 130gr but the BC's suck on those too. I saw one hit a hog last week. Interesting thing on those is they actually shed the petals. We recovered one and it was just the bottom half of the slug and 2 of the 4 petals. Can you give me your Tikka specs? I have one in my safe that's not being used. Considered putting on a Barlein 2b and rechambering to 6.5. Did you start with a 308 bolt face and just rebarrel it? I have the L mag in mine. I assume I'd want to keep that.

Its a Tikka CTR with the 24" barrel. Same barrel it came with.