Tikka mounts for long range?

bowinhand

WKR
Have a tikka t3 (not t3x) 7mm RM and ordered a Bushnell elite tactical 4.5-18×44mm scope for it. What mounts do you gentleman recommend? I was looking at the extreme hardcore gear base(with the built in level)and ?? For rings. My end goal is 1000 yrds.
Thank you.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Mountain Tactical Company's Elite Series 20 moa pic rail. All reputable company's rails are functionally the same except for one aspect- the use of the T3's recoil pin. The MT rail is the only one to use an integrated lug for the recoil pin.

FURMAN

WKR
The Xtreme hardcore will not allow the scope to be mounted low and forward enough for me. The mountain tactical has an extended front which can interfere with the scope. I would look at the Nightforce rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mt100gr.

WKR
Unless they have changed the design, the Xtreme rail DOES NOT have the recoil lug, despite claiming the opposite. The MT rail is pretty much bullet proof and the extension cuts off very easily.

I have both the aluminum version and the steel and have used both on my 7mmRM with the only difference being the weight. I definitely recommend the mountain tactical rails.

And for rings - you won't be disappointed with the Seekins precision matched rings. I don't think you get a whole lot more for the expensive ones but I think these look pretty slick and they are robust.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a mountain tactical 0moa rail on my 308 tikka t3 lite.
Should I just use that?

That scope should have plenty of elevation travel to get a 7 mag to 1K. Even on a 0 MOA rail I used that exact scope to take my 6.5 creedmoor to just under 1100 yards...but it was just about maxed. I did put a 20 MOA rail on that scope then just for a bit longer plinking with that rifle. Its up to you, but if you got the money $60 for a 20 MOA rail to be able to be able to take advantage of another 20 MOA or 5.8 MILs of your $1200 scope seems like a good deal to me.

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
Thanks Luke that builds confidence.
Do you think the extreme hardcore gear base would be a good choice or the mountain tactical?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks Luke that builds confidence.
Do you think the extreme hardcore gear base would be a good choice or the mountain tactical?

Personally I wouldn't pay $40 more for a level I can't see when in the scope. But I will sell ya mine for $75 and it may work for ya. :)

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
The Xtreme hardcore will not allow the scope to be mounted low and forward enough for me. The mountain tactical has an extended front which can interfere with the scope. I would look at the Nightforce rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was told the gen 3 mountain tactical rail does not extend past the receiver. I'd use that rail with some american rifle company rings in low.

Last edited:
I've got two Tikkas.. both have Mountain Tactical/Tikka Performance 20MOA rails. My 7mag uses Vortex precision rings, the 6.5CM uses Warne Mountain Tech rings. Both set ups have been great for me thus far. Cant go wrong with Mountain Tactical!

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
Talley option...

24492483248_41a7e26e88_b.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I wouldn't pay $40 more for a level I can't see when in the scope. But I will sell ya mine for $75 and it may work for ya. :)

You can see the level easy without moving your eye out of the scope.... just open the other eye. That's what I do with mine if I want to look at it without moving my head.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You can see the level easy without moving your eye out of the scope.... just open the other eye. That's what I do with mine if I want to look at it without moving my head.

Interesting...wonder why I have such trouble seeing it under the scope with the left eye but no trouble seeing the clamp on one by the elevation turret. I will give it another whirl for sure. I like the concept a lot...just hasn't proven better than a $12 clamp on level in practice for me as of yet.

spdrman

WKR
I really like the dnz one piece rings with 20moa built in for tikkas, keeps them nice and low. The they also have a tactical series that uses 8 screws instead of 4 for the scope. Rings on the Remington aren't mine just stole it from Google
2719803d86088114f635759963d83747.jpg
aefeb0f2aa270fef939d6544bf029bec.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk