Hit confirmation

jolemons

WKR
Looking for some advice on target hit confirmation.

I started shooting long range by myself at gongs I set in my pasture. The problem is that when I wear hearing protection I can't hear the gong. Does anyone have a suggestion for confirming hits at a distance of you can't hear the hit or see movement?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Are you wearing electronic ear pro? Even at not-as-long ranges, depending on conditions, distance and hearing, you'll get to a point where you're going to need to be seeing the hit through the glass or having someone/phonescope there to do it for you.

Are your gongs AR500 steel or just mild steel? If you’re not seeing your hits your NPA is off, or you’re shooting a high recoil rifle without a brake. Regardless of that though, if you’re using AR500 plate, spray paint them white before each time you shoot. Hard to miss impacts on freshly painted steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Are you spray painting the gongs? Usually bullet splash can be seen on the gongs quite a ways out there. 1,000 + yds easy.

OP
jolemons

jolemons

WKR
Are your gongs AR500 steel or just mild steel? If you’re not seeing your hits your NPA is off, or you’re shooting a high recoil rifle without a brake. Regardless of that though, if you’re using AR500 plate, spray paint them white before each time you shoot. Hard to miss impacts on freshly painted steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ar steel. I'll start spay painting therm. I think that's the solution. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

electronic ear pro, painting gongs and having a spotting scope setup close-by, if you are shooting prone your NPA is super important, load that rifle and get DID (dick in dirt) low, if you shoot on a tripod a combo of slings and body bag supports can tame that recoil.

Whisky

WKR
Just as important as seeing/hearing the hit, is being able to see where you missed. If you can't see your misses and make proper corrections, sometimes it can feel like you're pissing into the wind trying to get on target, and missing out on some learning in the process. On a "home range" or something more permanent I always make sure to have a nice backstop that I can keep mowed down to help see dirty fly when i miss.

spdrman

WKR
I have muzzlebrakes on most my guns and can see the impacts, I also use my spotting scope alot with my phoneskope attached and record the shots as well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great idea until you put one through that $150 joker

Haha wow...Might wanna watch the video on that....unless you shoot through the steel you aren’t gonna hit the unit itself just zip a hole through the gel reflector which can take quite a few shots and still reflect. And when you do gotta replace the reflector it’s only $10 I believe.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It’s all good I was just laughing that I initially thought the same thing until I looked into it as well. Kinda a cool concept really.

Yes I think it is pretty cool concept and looks to be executed well. The top gel piece is replaceable after lots of accidental impacts. The main unit is hiding safe behind the AR plate.
I however just spray paint the entire steel plate white and put a red circle in the center and that is good enough for me. I love hearing the ding!

KJH

WKR
White or orange spray paint is what I use. I just give it a quick spray before I shoot each time and you can see the splash of the bullet really well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree just painting has worked well. Problem is when I get lazy and do go repaint when I should seeing hits is a bit tougher...of course you can always stilll hear them. :)

OXlaTtX.jpg