Semi LR Scope < $2K?

FlyGuy

WKR
I decided yesterday that I would get some high end (for me) glass to go on top of my current 7mm mag. This is a hunting rig, so weight is an important factor. I haven't purchased a scope in a long, long time. I spent all day reading and comparing and my head hurts. I was hoping I could knock this out quickly, maybe get in on a late holiday sale or something. I have an Aoudad hunt coming up quickly (Jan 16th) so if I'm going to make a change I want to do it quickly. Have some vacation time through the holidays where I can spend plenty of time behind it getting comfortable. I currently am zero'd at 330 yards and I can just point and shoot out to almost 400. But, I want to start taking things out further. The Xmas tree reticles are very appealing for shots out to 650 - 700 yards which covers almost every hunting situation I will ever encounter, though I want to learn dialing and stretch out as far as I can.

I think the problem is I might be looking for a unicorn?

Here is what I want in this scope:

- Not too heavy. 1 - 1.5lbs

- max mag in the 15x-18x range

- Hold Over (Xmas Tree) Reticle for sub 700 yard shots

- good, reliable dialing for long shots over 700 yards. (Paper or pigs only for now)

- $1500 - $2000 price point

Does this scope actually exist? I listed all the models (see attached pic) I could find that came close. I was leaning towards the Z5 or Z6 swaros (have their binos) or the VX-6 because they seemed to tick all my boxes, then I read some things on here about neither of them being so good? I did not include NF in my list b/c everything I could find was around 2lbs. Did I miss something?

Unfortunately, if I rule out the Z5 & VX-6, then the one that comes closest to meeting all requirements is the LRSH and I'm having a really, really hard time picking a Bushnell as my top choice.

scope Comparison.jpg

Kotaman

WKR
Unicorn...I’ve tried and finally went “all in”on Nightforce. I decided the weight penalty was worth the scope being reliable. I ended up with a couple NF SHV 3x10x42’s and while they are only 10x, they only weigh 20 oz. Also ended up with an ATACR (awesome scope) and a NXS. Prior to my ”Nightforce revelation”, I owned several Swarovski Z5’s, a Leupold VX6 and a VX5HD. I just decided when I’m on the hunt of a lifetime, why risk a shot on the reliability of a turret...

deadwolf

WKR
Nightforce SHV, SHV F1, NXS, And soon to be ATACR owner here and have nothing but great experience with all of them. That little 3-10x42 SHV is one of my very favorite scopes of all time, and that’s easy to tell in the short time I’ve owned it. I’ll be getting another one of those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot my lrhs side by side with my 3-18 vx6 many times and don't wish for the vx6 glass in the bushy.

A buddy who works for GAP sold me on the bushnell elite tactical line up when he was still a green beret sniper and was running bushnell on his personal rifles.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks everyone. In the end I decided to sacrifice weight over cost. I went with a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 with the LV.5 reticle. I'm not going to lie, my pride did not want me to get a Bushnell. But, i had actually worked past all that and was trying to buy one of the LRHS 4.5-18. Time was a big factor and the only one I could find in stock anwhere were the illuminated versions (more cost, more weight, and no value to me). In the end I found the NXS at Cabelas ($1863 with free shipping) which also allowed me to use up a whole bunch of points I've been saving up. Should get here before new years!

Thanks for the help steering me in the right direction!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone. In the end I decided to sacrifice weight over cost. I went with a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 with the LV.5 reticle. I'm not going to lie, my pride did not want me to get a Bushnell. But, i had actually worked past all that and was trying to buy one of the LRHS 4.5-18. Time was a big factor and the only one I could find in stock anwhere were the illuminated versions (more cost, more weight, and no value to me). In the end I found the NXS at Cabelas ($1863 with free shipping) which also allowed me to use up a whole bunch of points I've been saving up. Should get here before new years!

Thanks for the help steering me in the right direction!

That's a great scope and you'll be happy with it.

deadwolf

WKR
You won’t think about the weight even for a second when you get it mounted and start using it : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Ended up making a last second change on the scope decision. I didn't realize until the scope arrived that the LV5 reticle was intended for a certain ballistic drop rate. Of course, my drops were no where close so I ran it down to Cabelas without ever mounting it. I had limited options for a replacement based on what was in stock and 30mm tube (had the hawkins precision rings rush shipped). I ended up getting the next size up from what I had - the NXS 5.5-22X50ZS. It was the demo, last one they had in stock, so I was able to get it for even money ($1863, same price as the 3.5x15x50ZS) which saved me about $170.

Got everything put together today. She is a looker! Going to put the 1st rounds through it tomorrow.
f35c852dcb3bee6bd88a27af230805d9.jpg
79e3d460df5c0c96103545a6f26a9113.jpg
df7921218d1cba8c85e3774706d08fe8.jpg