New Midas TAC scopes from Athlon

Looks like Athlon came through with for me is the IDEAL hunting scope for under $1000. Just got their new 2018 dealer pricing list/product catalogue and I'm most excited about the Midas TAC scope!

I used and abused an Ares BTR last year and REALLY liked it, glass is acceptable, good eye relief, it got beat up on the back of a 130 lb pack for 10 hours in a snow storm being dropped in the dirt multiple times and held zero, solid zero stop, tracked true...etc

Couple things I didn't like about it, it's illuminated, don't need it for hunting, never understood the need when I'd rather have a big ole parallax knob there instead to grip with gloves. And no capped windage turret. While the clicks are crisp the turrets can and do turn on you if you're careless about not checking. I also much preferred the single screw turret cap of my Cronus BTR to the Ares 3 side screws. Surprised to see the new Midas has the single slotted turret cap screw as well. No more fussing with not having the zero line up perfectly when you tighten the turret screws!

I've never understood why a company can't make a FFP, Non illuminated, Zero stop, 30mm tube with matching turrets/reticle under that 26-30 oz. I called Sig and they recommended their Whiskey 5 scope. While I appreciate the quality of it, the MOA/SFP really turn me off. I shoot solo a lot, and shoot high magnification scopes. Being able to dial the mag back to avoid mirage and spot my own hits is a must and I don't dial wind. SFP is a deal breaker for me.

Finally enter the Midas TAC. High mag range available (6-24 or 4-16), FFP, zero stop, non illuminated, GREAT reticle (have always preferred a center dot reticle), 30mm, UNDER 25 OZ (!!!), Capped windage turret. HD Glass and a stupid fair price. I'm going to pre-order at least two of them. MAP prices are $589.99 for the 4-14x50 and $629.99 for the 6-24x50. Supposedly available in July, but I've never seen an optics company hit that mark so I'd expect them in August. I'm going to get in some orders BEFORE SHOT SHOW which should greatly help.

Link shows it as having an illuminated reticle but that is false. Everything else looks correct and matches the new catalogue I have.

Athlon Optics – Rifle Scopes – Binoculars – Red Dot Scopes – Spotting Scopes – Rangefinders – Riflescopes >> Blog Archive Athlon Optics - Midas TAC 6-24x50 First Focal Plain Rifle Scope

Anybody else interested in a pre-order?

Mike

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I might be interested in one, but i prefer Moa to Mil. It is also hard for me to order a scope without looking thru it first. I have never looked thru Athlon optics but i have heard they have good features with average to average + glass.

OP
HellsCanyon
I might be interested in one, but i prefer Moa to Mil. It is also hard for me to order a scope without looking thru it first. I have never looked thru Athlon optics but i have heard they have good features with average to average + glass.

I agree on the glass. It’s “acceptable” to me. Definitely not alpha grade and I wouldn’t ever claim it to be close. But for the price point, I don’t know of a better one.

The Cronus BTR I have is on par with all three Razor scopes (Gen I/II/AMG) and every NF I’ve had in the Shop. Nothing I don’t like about that scope other than the 35 oz weight.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HellsCanyon
Dang... love the FFP and capped windage turret. Hate no MOA option.

It’s just smaller numbers :) most calibers are less than 7 MILs to 1000 yards. And wind holds are typically .5 to 2 MILs instead of 2-7 MOA. I’m sure they’ll come out with an MOA version in 2019. Same thing they did with the Cronus.

Mike

choovhntr

WKR
I think it’ll all come down to tracking. I find it odd/ coincidence that after all the tests, the only scopes that seem to track well with higher magnification all weigh over 25 oz. I’m very curious in the whiskey 5 but i can’t seem to find a review of a hardcore tracking test on it. Is it that hard to manufacture (I am honestly am asking not being sarcastic)? If not I would think some of the older companies would have figured it out by now. Can’t wait to hear the reviews on this one from you. I hope it’s the holy grail everyone has been waiting for to put on top of their LW LR rigs. If so, I’d be fighting for first in line.

OP
HellsCanyon
I think it’ll all come down to tracking. I find it odd/ coincidence that after all the tests, the only scopes that seem to track well with higher magnification all weigh over 25 oz. I’m very curious in the whiskey 5 but i can’t seem to find a review of a hardcore tracking test on it. Is it that hard to manufacture (I am honestly am asking not being sarcastic)? If not I would think some of the older companies would have figured it out by now. Can’t wait to hear the reviews on this one from you. I hope it’s the holy grail everyone has been waiting for to put on top of their LW LR rigs. If so, I’d be fighting for first in line.

True point but most offerings up to now under 25 oz have included more useless features in my opinion. I’ll get out and do some tracking tests with the Ares BTR and Cronus BTR and see how they do. I’ll mimic Luke’s recent test. Should be able to get out in the next two weeks or so!

The fact that Athlon releases MIL based scopes first, tells me they’re very much paying attention to the Precision rifle world. Where as most other companies cater to the hunters first.

Mike

choovhntr

WKR
Can’t wait for this one. Thanks Mike! I may have to learn mils if it all pans out. Does that mean I could call myself a precision shooter then if I get one? . If only! Gotta lot of work to do over here before that happens.

OP
HellsCanyon
Can’t wait for this one. Thanks Mike! I may have to learn mils if it all pans out. Does that mean I could call myself a precision shooter then if I get one? . If only! Gotta lot of work to do over here before that happens.

Haha of course you can! #RealShootersShootMils

In all honesty I was looking at MOA scopes before this one for this season as I wanted something a bit lighter, and I’m rebuilding my 280AI into a strict sub 750 yard rifle and want it 8-8.5 lbs scoped. The new 338 will be 12 lbs all done up and the real LR rig!

Mike

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Sharpshooting UK who does a lot of high end scope reviews on youtube has a bunch of info and very in depth reviews of the Athlon's. He seems like a pretty nit-picky guy and covers very minute details. He seems to rant about the "bang for the buck" these scopes provide, considering he reviews 3-6k optics regularly he is probably a fairly authoritative source, you should check him out.

I am glad to see these are gaining popularity! I will be truly stoked when all the Vortex fanboyism ends.

DEW0341

WKR
Looks like a good deal. I feel like each year the consumer gets more bang for their buck, these are good times we live in that's for sure

bowinhand

WKR
I just bought a Bushnell elite tactical illuminated 4.5-18. Spent $880 did I do good or should I have waited?

Last edited:

ZJARCHER

FNG
Sharpshooting UK who does a lot of high end scope reviews on youtube has a bunch of info and very in depth reviews of the Athlon's. He seems like a pretty nit-picky guy and covers very minute details. He seems to rant about the "bang for the buck" these scopes provide, considering he reviews 3-6k optics regularly he is probably a fairly authoritative source, you should check him out.

I am glad to see these are gaining popularity! I will be truly stoked when all the Vortex fanboyism ends.

I can't find any of his videos with Athlon. Just about every other scope, though. What am I missing?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I can't find any of his videos with Athlon. Just about every other scope, though. What am I missing?

Man im just at work so I don't have access atm. BUT, I think the video is called "best scopes of 2017" or something to that effect. I will double check when im home.

OP
HellsCanyon
Man im just at work so I don't have access atm. BUT, I think the video is called "best scopes of 2017" or something to that effect. I will double check when im home.

I went through that video I think and he does have the Cronus BTR in there and had very high praise for it. Haven’t seen anything with the second tier scopes.

Mike

Looks like they pulled info on this model down? Specs look nice, let's hope they function and hold up well. Where will these be manufactured?

The cronus has seen quite a bit of positive feedback but it also seems quite a few have went back for repair and one of the ones killswitchengage did a tracking test on didn't fair very well.

Worth noting that the majority of praise and posts hyping Athlon optics seem to originate from Athlon dealers. They remind me a lot of vortex. A lot of nicely spec'd products, well promoted, primarily Asia "price point" manufacture, and good customer service for people to rave about if they have issues. I hope any of my pessimism is misplaced but time will tell.

OP
HellsCanyon
Looks like they pulled info on this model down? Specs look nice, let's hope they function and hold up well. Where will these be manufactured?

The cronus has seen quite a bit of positive feedback but it also seems quite a few have went back for repair and one of the ones killswitchengage did a tracking test on didn't fair very well.

Worth noting that the majority of praise and posts hyping Athlon optics seem to originate from Athlon dealers. They remind me a lot of vortex. A lot of nicely spec'd products, well promoted, primarily Asia "price point" manufacture, and good customer service for people to rave about if they have issues. I hope any of my pessimism is misplaced but time will tell.

While my own sample size is relatively small with two personal scopes, it was a customer of mine who sold his NXS for a Cronus that turned me onto them. And I’ve sold another 6 or so of them to customers and everyone has been happy thus far.

I do agree with you though, they remind me of Vortex in some ways. I’m also of the belief that every scope has a chance for failure. I know a few first hand accounts of NF, Kahles, Swaro, Bushnell, Vortex (quite a few), S&B having failures. Some are more often then others for sure, but optics fail. I hope these stand the test of time as well!

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
I've got my first shipment coming in on thursday for these scopes. Someone on here ordered a 4-16 model and I think I know who it is and sent them a PM.... if not I may have one up for grabs :)

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Just got a quick chance to open up a box tonight. Gotta say if these things track they are a ridiculous nice scope for the price. Glass is better than the previous Ares BTR, clicks are better than the Ares and more positive than the Bushnell LRTS I’ve been running, parallax down to ten yards and a centerdot reticle with .2 hashmarks on windage. Scope comes in right at 26.6 oz as seen below. I’ll be posting up some more thoughts as time goes on.
1c673bbd0a058753c07cc3024c127832.jpg

Had a member pre order a 4-16 model but hasn’t paid for it and wants me to try and sell it to someone else as they weren’t expecting it till July. If you’re interested let me know.

Mike