Sunshades for scopes?

FlyGuy

WKR
So I just purchased my 1st NightForce scope (NXS 5.5-22x50ZS). Does anyone actually use the sunshade that comes with the scope or is that just extra weight? I've never used one before so - even though it looks super cool - I'm assuming it's something I don't need to pack around?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

So I just purchased my 1st NightForce scope (NXS 5.5-22x50ZS). Does anyone actually use the sunshade that comes with the scope or is that just extra weight? I've never used one before so - even though it looks super cool - I'm assuming it's something I don't need to pack around?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Depends on your use. Most kills come early morning or late evening where sun glare isn’t a problem. Or as big of a problem. If you’re western Hunting Where a midday shot may be likely especially in my case Coues Hunting then it’s very useful, it’s very useful target shooting and Varmit shooting during midday hours. Play around with it and you’ll see where it’s useful and not, but I leave mine on all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
I use them on all my rifles for the sole purpose that it protects the objective lens from rain snow and blowing dust when uncovered and being used.

rayporter

WKR
I have never seen a scope with one on it in benchrest competition.

when prairie dogging I will put one on to help with glare.

my biggest fear of using one on a carry rifle is the extra length which gives leverage that might actually bend a tube.

try this test. put a rifle on the sand bags and lock it down as good as you can with out touching it. now gently reach up and lightly pinch the objective bell at the end of the sunshade with your thumb on the bottom of the stock and your forefinger on the objective. . report back on how many inches of movement you can see at 200yd. and 400 yd.

I also use them on my hunting rifle, sometimes the glare can be bad when your in the sun trying to shoot an animal in the shade. I would never leave the truck without it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
As they are very light in comparison to the rest of the rifle/scope I like them.
Serve as a decent source of protection for the front lens as well.
I'll wager you could rip it off the Night Force and not hurt the scope at all.

R