Lightweight long range hunting rifle

I would also "jump on", the first Tikka T3X, in Left handed, built in 6 mm Creed or, 6XC for my next, long range, Coyote Rifle !
1-8 twist of course !

marktole

WKR
Nosler just released a rifle at SHOT that would fit the bill for a lightweight, long range hunting rifle. M48 Long Range Carbon. Manners carbon fiber stock, 26” Proof barrel, Nosler action, chamberings in 26, 28, 30, and 33 Nosler as well as 6.5 Creedmoor and .300 Win Mag. Nosler says it comes in at 7# on the nose. Only drawback is the MSRP of $3,000, but then again, for those components, I would imagine the rifle is worth $3k.

Quit flashing that thing around.....it seems like the ultimate do it all rifle. ;)

I know.. They just sweetened the pot with what looks to be a nice stock addition! The website makes it look like this will replace the Mickey Game Warden on the hunting model. I was thinking about paying to upgrade mine with an EH1 and now I'm just hoping it shows up with that Seekins stock and saves me the trouble.

So much great stuff coming out right now bringing precision rifle prices down!

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
Surprised the Kimber Montana win mags aren't mentioned more for a place to start. As I understand it the action length is the same as the 375 H&H Talkeetna. So it would seem like it could be readily throated to accept higher BC bullets.

I'm actually buying it from a guy that had it built but has not really shot it much. I'm getting a BIG discount for sure. Excited to get some rounds loaded up and on paper!

Congrats, on a great, "deal" ! Good luck with it and let us know, how she shoots and what "load" works, best !
N2TURKEYS shoots, the Nosler Accubond 160 grain and loves, the Caliber. Do you know the name of the Gunsmith ?

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
That 300 wby ultralight will do way more than what you’re asking for at the weight it offers. Spend money on lightweight good glass to top it off with. Why change up a good thing. If you want to dial it in work up hand loads.

WRO

WKR
So i'm in the market for a long range ultralight hunting rifle. I already have a Weatherby Ultralight in .300 Wby. its a great gun and about 2 pounds lighter than my previous setup, but i'm looking for something under 6lbs. preferably a .300 caliber, but would consider a 7mm. I've been looking at the Chritensen arms Carbon classic. I really like that setup with the carbon barrel and carbon stock, but that's still 6.3 pounds. any suggestions? I would like to stay as close to $2,500. if that's possible:D. Thanks you!

MOA has one of their prototypes 300 Rum that is in full carbon forsale for like 4k. Call the shop, ask for Calvin, and let him know its the one Ryan used..

It's a shooter, I validated it past 900 yards.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Loving my Cooper Backcountry in 300 Win Mag. I think its 5.5 pounds without the VX-6 HD and it shoots holes through holes with Factory loads!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loving my Cooper Backcountry in 300 Win Mag. I think its 5.5 pounds without the VX-6 HD and it shoots holes through holes with Factory loads!

Any load, or is there a particular load it seems to like the best? Also, what yardage are you getting those groups? Thanks!

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
My best grouping was with Barnes 300WIN MAG 180GR VOR-TX TTSXB loads. I was trying to find a load that my sons Bansners rifle would shoot with well for our British Columbia moose hunt last fall and he was getting 3/4 inch groups so we could shoot the same ammo. I was only shooting 100 yard groups. I am super impressed with the Cooper and the reason I bought it was the test target that came with it showed one hole 3 shot group with Coopers hand loads and probably shot at 50 yards but I saw what it was capable of.
I had Leupold make a CDS dial for my scope and after I sighted it in I turned it to 300 to ring the chip shot 300 yard gong and then got cocky and dialed the 1000 yard gong and it was a first shot hit as well.
Any load, or is there a particular load it seems to like the best? Also, what yardage are you getting those groups? Thanks!

pokorn28

FNG
I ended up going with a custom gun built by MG Arms here in Houston, TX.

I supplied the action from a Remington 700 and a Timney Calvin Elite trigger. Everything else was custom.

They squared, trued the action, lightened up the action, lightened up the bolt, fluted the bolt, muzzle break, changed the extractor on the bolt to an M16 style (IIRC), custom stock fitted to me (kevlar), 21” barrel length (stainless match barrel), .300 Win Mag. Cerakoted the action to the color of my choosing (I chose sniper gray) and painted the stock to my choice (olive drab with black webbing).

All in all I ended up with a 0.5 MOA gun when I do my part. I personally paid $2,800 and no tax because I paid cash. Weight of the gun was 5 lbs. I put a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 and it brought the gun to a smidge over 6 lbs with rings and bases.

I did just recently put a Nightforce on the gun, justified by saying that it was a super lightweight gun and a 2 lb scope still brings it in less than most guns weigh by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
25027d4d6d9ec492d35c9490bfc751e2.jpg