Lightweight long range hunting rifle

mac541

Lil-Rokslider
So i'm in the market for a long range ultralight hunting rifle. I already have a Weatherby Ultralight in .300 Wby. its a great gun and about 2 pounds lighter than my previous setup, but i'm looking for something under 6lbs. preferably a .300 caliber, but would consider a 7mm. I've been looking at the Chritensen arms Carbon classic. I really like that setup with the carbon barrel and carbon stock, but that's still 6.3 pounds. any suggestions? I would like to stay as close to $2,500. if that's possible:D. Thanks you!

I’m not the type of person to tell anyone what they can and can’t do. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, and it’s just my opinion. So take it for what it’s worth.

A sub 6 lb “long range” hunting rifle is almost an oxymoron, and isn’t exactly a recipe for consistent LR accuracy. If you want a sub 6 lb gun to shoot 500-600 yards (about all the farther I would recommend for that weight rifle), spend the money on quality optics and develop a consistent sub MOA load and learn how to shoot and read wind.

Any shooting over the 700ish yard mark and I’d aim for a rifle in the 7.25-8 lb base rifle weight. It’s that much easier to shoot.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mac541

mac541

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not the type of person to tell anyone what they can and can’t do. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, and it’s just my opinion. So take it for what it’s worth.

A sub 6 lb “long range” hunting rifle is almost an oxymoron, and isn’t exactly a recipe for consistent LR accuracy. If you want a sub 6 lb gun to shoot 500-600 yards (about all the farther I would recommend for that weight rifle), spend the money on quality optics and develop a consistent sub MOA load and learn how to shoot and read wind.

Any shooting over the 700ish yard mark and I’d aim for a rifle in the 7.25-8 lb base rifle weight. It’s that much easier to shoot.

Mike

Thank you for your reply. I should have been more clear on the yardage I would be shooting. I rarely shoot over 600 yards. Usually in the 200 to 400 yard range. this gun would only be used for hunting. No long distance range time.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

Mike

What would your build be in the 7-8lb range? Would you go with a 6.5/308 vs a magnum at this weight?

What would your build be in the 7-8lb range? Would you go with a 6.5/308 vs a magnum at this weight?

Price wise? My builds start around $3500.

For a dedicated LR Killer I’ve always said overkill is underrated. You can’t go wrong with any of the following 300 Win, 30 Nosler, 300 RUM, 28 Nosler (excluding Lapua Bolt faced calibers here). If you don’t plan on killing mainly elk you can do extremely well with the lighter 7’s and 6.5’s. 280AI, 7mm, 6.5-06AI, 6.5-284...etc
If you want a real light setup I’d look at going with the 6.5/7 SAUM in a short action.

Mike

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was more curious as to the components you would use to build a 7-8lb long range setup. I get that in the lighter builds the SAs are probably the way to go. More curious as to the parts of pieces than the anything else. :)

Whisky

WKR
The components to build a 7.5-8lb rifle are endless. You can do it with steel sporter barrels, or carbon varmint contour barrels. You can do it with factory rem actions, or aftermarket customs. A trigger is a trigger. Stocks, take your pick. Tactical carbons from Manners, or sporter composites from many other companies like B&C, Mcmillan etc. Building an 8lb rifle is easy. Building a 6lb rifle, not so much.

It would come down to your budget, and preferences if you wanted to get more specific.

Whisky is dead on. To build a 7.5 lbs rifle, you can bank on a Stiller action, my Heavy Hunter Carbon Barrel, 3 port brake, aluminum BDL bottom metal with Wyatt’s Box, Triggertech Trigger, Manners Elite series stock or Mcmillan A3/Game Warden with Edge fill stock.

That same rifle with a Razor Ti action will get you to near the 7 lb flat mark.

Going with a Short Action Razor Ti and 24” Barrel you’ll be closer to 6.5-6.75 lbs.

I still have to cerakote this Winmag, but it’s 7 lbs 3 oz with 26” barrel, Razor Ti, 4 port SS Brake, and a heavier 32 oz EH1.
5b701c74e01c6c1357069c18f8bdcc35.jpg

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whisky is dead on. To build a 7.5 lbs rifle, you can bank on a Stiller action, my Heavy Hunter Carbon Barrel, 3 port brake, aluminum BDL bottom metal with Wyatt’s Box, Triggertech Trigger, Manners Elite series stock or Mcmillan A3/Game Warden with Edge fill stock.

That same rifle with a Razor Ti action will get you to near the 7 lb flat mark.

Going with a Short Action Razor Ti and 24” Barrel you’ll be closer to 6.5-6.75 lbs.

I still have to cerakote this Winmag, but it’s 7 lbs 3 oz with 26” barrel, Razor Ti, 4 port SS Brake, and a heavier 32 oz EH1.
5b701c74e01c6c1357069c18f8bdcc35.jpg

That is a beauty Mike.

Randy

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand there are many options, in fact there are to many! :) I've gone through a few "paper builds" and always like to see what others come up with.

Seekins added a carbon stock to their line up so the havak should come in around 7 lbs, carbon stock, nearly flush carbon DBM with 3.9" LA 3.16" SA COAL respectively. for around 2k.. makes it awful hard to pay for parts and Smith work. I'm not sure how i feel about the spiral flutes yet but we'll see,

Havak Pro Hunter PH1

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Seekins added a carbon stock to their line up so the havak should come in around 7 lbs, carbon stock, nearly flush carbon DBM with 3.9" LA 3.16" SA COAL respectively. for around 2k.. makes it awful hard to pay for parts and Smith work. I'm not sure how i feel about the spiral flutes yet but we'll see,

Havak Pro Hunter PH1

Quit flashing that thing around.....it seems like the ultimate do it all rifle. ;)

ChrisA

WKR
Ya, second guessing the Kelbley Atlas Tactical action I picked up. That Seekins looks close to what I have in mind sans spiral fluting; I'm sure it'll be less money too.

Chris