Tikka Aftermarket Stocks, What Do You Like?

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
How you doing fellas! You guys were a wealth of information on my last thread and have helped me pick a scope and steer my decision making on my first long range setup.

I went ahead and bought a Bushnell Elite LRHS 3-12x44 from a member here in the classified. I also submitted the paperwork for a Thunder Beast Ultra 7 so hopefully I'll have that by next hunting season.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as far as the rifle. I'm leaning away from the Kimber now and leaning towards a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmore with the 24" barrel.

My big question right now is on the stock or possibly chassis.

I really prefer the look of a carbon or kevlar stock over a metal chassis. I'm researching Manners and Mcmillan. I really like the look of the Manners PRS-1 but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for a hunting rifle.

The rifle will serve dual purpose for hunting and long range steel. I recently found a range that has steel out to 1400 yards and they run some PRS type competitions that I'd like to take part in.

Any input from you guys on what you like as far as stocks? Especially if you've put a Tikka action in them.

Thanks again for all your help.

TeaGull

FNG
I have a Manners EH-T on my LH 7 Mag. Well worth the 6 or 8 months I waited and the dough I coughed up. It has a nice palm swell and vertical-ish grip that's really nice for shooting prone.

mt100gr.

WKR
Did your stocky's come as "drop in " fit or do they need to be inletted? I have only.glanced at them but a friend just put one on a 700 custom he built and they look pretty darn nice.

FURMAN

WKR
Unfortunately the recoil lug area was not quite right so I dremeled it out and super glued the lug to the action and bedded the rifle. I was going to do this anyway so no big deal.

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been spending more time than I should researching stocks and I was just told that Manners will be releasing a Tikka mini chassis for their stocks at shot show!

My understanding is you don't have to do any bedding with the mini chassis.

Sounds pretty sick to me.

The factory ctr stock works great. You wont get anymore accuracy out of another. My tikka 6.5 ctr with prime ammo shoots .25 moa all day. I once had my gunsmith bed a tikka into a bell and Carlson stock and it didn't do shit for accuracy. If you want your gun to look cool than by all means dump money into the stock. If all you care about is accuracy then leave it be.

FURMAN

WKR
The factory ctr stock works great. You wont get anymore accuracy out of another. My tikka 6.5 ctr with prime ammo shoots .25 moa all day. I once had my gunsmith bed a tikka into a bell and Carlson stock and it didn't do shit for accuracy. If you want your gun to look cool than by all means dump money into the stock. If all you care about is accuracy then leave it be.

This may be the case with your rifle but factory tupperware stocks are prone to changing point of impact with temperature changes and Tikkas are not immune. I do feel the Tikka tupperware is better than some but still not good.

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider

Don't get me wrong, I know the factory stock will get me all the accuracy I could ever need but how much cooler would that Tikka be to carry around in something like this!!!

vqZYP6S.jpg

Of course you could buy another Tikka for the price of the stock but hell then you'd just have two ugly guns hahaha

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have put Tikkas in XLR element and Carbon chassis as well as MDT LSS and LSS-XL chassis. And I am considering to buy my dad a KRG Bravo for his 308 for a more adjustable stock that is only $390 as the factory CTR stock is still 14" LOP even with the little spacers removed so its still too long for him. No the rifle doesn't need a better stock, however being able to adjust the stock to better fit the person with an adjustable cheek piece and LOP is worth it for that. I could care less how they look the idea is to get it to fit the person not make it look spiffy with an after market stock. :)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This may be the case with your rifle but factory tupperware stocks are prone to changing point of impact with temperature changes and Tikkas are not immune. I do feel the Tikka tupperware is better than some but still not good.

Please elaborate when you've seen plastic stocks, and specifically Tikka factory stocks, have a POI shift due tempature changes and how did you determine that it was the stocks?

FURMAN

WKR
Please elaborate when you've seen plastic stocks, and specifically Tikka factory stocks, have a POI shift due tempature changes and how did you determine that it was the stocks?
Pretty easy to figure it out when a stock change fixes it.

Don't get me wrong, I know the factory stock will get me all the accuracy I could ever need but how much cooler would that Tikka be to carry around in something like this!!!

vqZYP6S.jpg

Of course you could buy another Tikka for the price of the stock but hell then you'd just have two ugly guns hahaha

As long as you pick a better color! That has to be manners' fugliest finish.

Eagle

WKR
I realize you're looking more for a long range type stock, but wildcat composites out of Alberta makes a tikka stock that weighs 17oz with aluminum pillars (no recoil pad or paint, but sanded and filled). I've got one on order and hope to have it within the next month or so. Looking forward to finishing it out and seeing what the final weight ends up on my superlite 30-06.

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you pick a better color! That has to be manners' fugliest finish.

I don't think that it's the color combo that I'd go with but I like to see people doing something different than black or flat dark earth. I think they call it salt water camo. It'd make for a cool competition only gun.

Here's two other combos that I think are cool. The guys at Core have a few color combos that they do exclusively with Manners.

Highland pattern
OBkrm3T.jpg

Badlands pattern
cgAqrWt.jpg

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I realize you're looking more for a long range type stock, but wildcat composites out of Alberta makes a tikka stock that weighs 17oz with aluminum pillars (no recoil pad or paint, but sanded and filled). I've got one on order and hope to have it within the next month or so. Looking forward to finishing it out and seeing what the final weight ends up on my superlite 30-06.

Those look like a great option for an ultralight mountain rifle setup! I'll keep them in mind for the next build!

I'm planning to sell my Kimber Montana in 270. It's a great shooter but I'd rather go short action to help offset the weight of the suppressor. I made to many bad decisions last season taking shots without putting my ear plugs in.