Tikka Ctr 6.5 CM load data with eld-x

brocksw

WKR
In an effort to get a head start on load dev, anyone shooting the 143 ELD-x out of a tikka ctr?

My experience says the X likes a little jump. Anyone share there load Data for that bullet and gun combo?

Obviously going to try H4350 first. I'm more curious about seating depth/coal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
In an effort to get a head start on load dev, anyone shooting the 143 ELD-x out of a tikka ctr?

My experience says the X likes a little jump. Anyone share there load Data for that bullet and gun combo?

Obviously going to try H4350 first. I'm more curious about seating depth/coal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I got my CTR less than a year ago and I only have shot 143 ELDX in it and its killed 16 big game animals in that time. 2 with factory loads and the other 14 with handloads with the 143 ELDX right on the lands. Honestly the CTR shoots both the handloads and factory loads 5 shots into 1/2" at 100 yards every time it just doesn't seem to care how far the jump is. Only difference is the handloads are starting out going 270 fps faster. Currently shooting them out of my 24" CTR at 2900 fps which seems to work well certainly.

FURMAN

WKR
I got my CTR less than a year ago and I only have shot 143 ELDX in it and its killed 16 big game animals in that time. 2 with factory loads and the other 14 with handloads with the 143 ELDX right on the lands. Honestly the CTR shoots both the handloads and factory loads 5 shots into 1/2" at 100 yards every time it just doesn't seem to care how far the jump is. Only difference is the handloads are starting out going 270 fps faster. Currently shooting them out of my 24" CTR at 2900 fps which seems to work well certainly.

Are you using H4350?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh sorry no I am not using H4350. My bad I forgot he was wanting to use that powder. I have yet to use 4350 in the CTR.

Not using a Tikka, but I'm in the process of developing a load using 143's for my 6.5.
Using RL26, Lapua brass, CCI450 primers. Tested 46-48 grains of powder in 0.5 increments seated 0.02" off the lands. Looks like 47 grains is the winner. Still going to play a little with the seating depth but getting close to finalizing my load. Speed is right around 2875 fps out of a 26" tube.

In my 20” CTR I run them .040 off the lands, which is 2.901”. 46.9 grains of Reloder 26 in Hornady brass or 46.6 in Peterson brass is 1 hole accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V65Magna

FNG
As a general rule, I start out seating just about everything .020" off the lands (ogive measurement) and it seems to be a good compromise between getting closer to the lands without getting into the territory where pressures might start to be a problem. Maybe .020" off the lands is a mile for a jump.....I don't know. I just know that everything I load for (22-250, 243, 25-06, 6.5X47, 308, 30-06) yeilds .25 to .50 MOA results at that seating depth once I get the right charge figured out, as longs as I keep all the other parameters uniform. Certainly not good enough for F-Class work but more than sufficient for what I want to do. Not sayin' it's right or wrong, just what works for me. YMMV.

slick

WKR

Luke, would you mind throwing a picture of that CTR up? I’m curious if you’ve done anything to it- seems like you never leave anything factory.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, would you mind throwing a picture of that CTR up? I’m curious if you’ve done anything to it- seems like you never leave anything factory.

HAHA....you are correct I have tweaked it some, but in all honesty I also took the CTR to make first round hit on a 12" target at 1077 while it was still in its factory state.

That said you must know me pretty well as I can't leave well enough alone.

Here is what I have done so far (again none of this is needed per say as the CTR is dynamite out of the box).

-Upgraded to a XLR chassis with folding butt stock. (makes it way nice to carry and low pro when in your pack for hunting).
-Upgraded to Yo Dave trigger spring.
-Upgraded from flat rail to canted rail with recoil lug.
-upgraded to AI style bolt knob.

Likely something else in there as well that I am not thinking of, but its been a hammer so far with 16 big game animals over the course of 6 months. Looking to add to that number perhaps come next week.

YANY0Gr.jpg

slick

WKR
Awesome! I knew you had some tricks up your sleeves. Looks like one helluva rig. And 16 critters in 6mos..That’s what I’ve shot in like the last 5 Years.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome! I knew you had some tricks up your sleeves. Looks like one helluva rig. And 16 critters in 6mos..That’s what I’ve shot in like the last 5 Years.

HAHA...keep in mind I only tagged 4 of those and my wife tagged for of them as well. The other 8 were taken by an assortment of 6 other folks that used the rifle. 4 of which were their first big game animals. The adjustable chassis to fit each individual shooters does make it nice and for this particular rifle is worth it being it gets handed around so much. Heck an 8 year old was busting rocks at 900+ yards to get used to the rifle and then several hours later killed his caribou at 330 yards with one shot.

OTKf1se.jpg

slick

WKR
What’s your CTR weigh?

Yeah, makes more sense now. But still, that’s a pile of critters.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What’s your CTR weigh?

Yeah, makes more sense now. But still, that’s a pile of critters.

It is a pile of critters. But I am certainly to the point where I would rather help others fill their tags the last 3+ years especially than focus on shooting my own. The added challenge of getting new hunters on game is fun. I still get to see 20-25 big animals killed annually but if I only shoot less that 1/5 of those personally I am fine with that. :)

The rifle is a tank at roughly 15 pounds with suppressor and bipod. But everyone can spot their own impacts with it on a light recoling 6.5 CM and its plenty lethal. Have come to realize that rifle weight on most day hunts isn't that big of a deal to me. A 4.4 pound all up rifle or a 15 pound all up rifle is the difference between a 25 pound and 35 pound pack on most day hunts when just hiking in 5 miles or less in on a day hunt without all my mulitday backpacking gear, rifle weight just isn't that critical. That said I still am a sucker for lightweight rifles and still have some that go sub 6 pounds (or much lighter) all up.. I have found its easier for new hunters/shooters to become proficient at hitting a 8" target at 400 yards or with a good setup prone, than sitting or standing at 100 yards on the same target so especially in those instances and I am just helping another person I don't mind hauling the heavy quiet pig for them. :)

Last edited:

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have done a ton of load workup on my CTR. Mine shoots the ELDs really good with .020 jump, .002 neck tension. My go to powder has been H4350 for competition loads but seems to be near impossible to find up here in AK. I have also had great results with 4451 and RL17. RL17 will get you a nice bump in speed just be aware of temp swings. 4451 has been within 10-12 fps of H4350 with similar accuracy.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you need some h4350 I have just under a pound I will sell ya on the cheap. I have no use for it as of now.

270quest

WKR
I havent' been able to chronograph my loads yet due to weather the last few days, but my CTR 6.5 shoots H4350 42.0 grains, Hornady Brass, BR2 Primers, 143 ELD -X at 2.910 into one hole groups. I need to get them chronograph so I can start testing them long range - but right now thats my go to load.