Reloading: How much are subtle differences noticeable?

FURMAN

WKR
Usually the velocity node is the accuracy node but I can show you a few rifles I have developed loads for where the best velocity node did not group worth a damn at short range or long. If you really want the best possible load development method do a ladder at the max distance you plan to shoot at least 400 yards. The longer the better. I have always loaded a round and subtracted .002 an ran with it. I have never had a issue with neck tension.

Panhandle Precision is doing a whole new series on reloading on his YouTube channel.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

OP
F
Well, little differences do matter it seems!
I built some loads that varied in COAL from .01, .05, and .09” off the lands. All groups were less impressive than when I used 0.02.
Then I loaded some in 46.8 and 47.2 grains at .02” off the lands. The 47.2 load was very impressive at a 1/2” group.
Speed averaged 2915 FPS. Still have a wider ES than I’d like. Not sure if that’s the cheaper Chrony I’m using or a result of other factors like neck tension.
More things to play with now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP: the simple answer to your question is: YES!

I HIGHLY recommend you buy and read Reloading Metallic Rifle Cartridges by Mic McMillan. If you really want to reload precision cartridges and understand the how and why we do things, it’s just about mandatory reading. It’s great for beginners and experienced precision shooters/loafers as well. I love videos as well but I think you’ll get more out of them if you read that book. It discuses every option out there and explains how and why to do it. Read that book and THEN watch videos from 6.5 Guys, Panhandle Precision and others. The OP shows some clear lack of understanding of the goals of precision reloading. Nothing wrong with that...you don’t know what you don’t know. If you’re interested in reloading you must have an interest in improving your results down range. I never understood the point of reloading if all you expect is what a factory load will do. Will a precision reload make you a better shooter? Nope. But shooting and reloading go hand in hand. If you have an interest in reloading you must, therefore, have an interest in shooting. So, now is the opportunity to improve BOTH! There are some great videos on shooting technique but I highly recommend the training videos that Frank Galli has on Snipers Hide. They’re cheap to access and the fundamentals for most PRS shooting and directly translatable to hunting.

There’s some great info/advice in this thread. Nothing I would disagree with. OCW is a great way to determine powder charge and for 6.5cm I use .2gr increments for testing. The abbreviated method using flat spots in velocity is something I’m trying to shortcut to a good charge weight. However, that method DEPENDS on the shooter being really good and consistent; because you’re also watching POI in relation to those velocity flats. If you’re a mediocre shooter, the OCW or ladder methods are going to probably produce better results.

Every Savage and Tikka rifle I own is capable of sub .5moa (or better), consistently, with handloads. Most of them will shoot regularly in the .2s and .3s for any shooter capable of that type of shooting. I’ve always found precision reloading, and the subtle changes to most steps to be “worth” it to me. It really depends on your goals. Do you WANT to be able to shoot bugholes? If so, it’s all worth it. If you’re just going to hunt to 150yds on big game, nope, it’s not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk