Rear bag, what are you using?

MHWASH

WKR
I'm in need of a rear bag for hunting, shooting prone off of a bipod. Weight is definitely a concern. I've seen different models from $12-$220, and weights from 7oz-4#.

FURMAN

WKR
Crosstac bags are my favorite. I’ve tried several brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyGuy

WKR
I've been looking around for a lightweight rear support for a little while but I have found anything that on the market that i really like. Just a thought, if weight is a concern for your style of hunting, I have a sock tied off and filled with dry rice that I use sometimes. I'm not shooting super long range though.

On my last hunt I needed more height than that sock would provide. I unbuckled the chest strap on my AGC bino harness just to slide it out from under me and realized that it was the perfect size for a rear support. Worked perfectly for that 420 yard shot.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
synthetic hunting sock cut in half and filled with airsoft bb's. Light weight, inexpensive, and won't rot and stink if it gets wet.

083wright

FNG
I've been using small dry bag that is filled with my extra socks, hat and gloves. I'm carrying that stuff already and saves from adding weight/bulk to my pack.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pack/lid/possibles pouch/bundled up jacket are all options for back country hunting rear support that works just fine. Might take a moment longer to get situated than a dedicated pouch but at the end of the day if you're cross hairs are steady and you're locked in behind your rifle you're good to go. Just practice a bit with those items and you won't be flustered in the field. Aside from the weight (can be minor with light filler) I just wouldn't want to carry the bulk around.

Finbob

FNG
I made some out of camo cordura material, webbing, and polystyrene pellets. Made others with air soft B.B. filling. Used wife’s sewing machine. Very cheap, and you can make it to your exact specifications. If you’re using it in the field, it’s nice to sew in a little zipper so you can adjust or swap out filling and empty it to dry out so it doesn’t get moldy after it gets wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bino pouch works great as well as your sit/glassing pad. I have a thermarest z rest cut in half and you can roll it, fold it, crunch it or do whatever and you can make it any height or shape you want. It works wonders and is very stable. I like to use items for more than one purpose and it seems silly to pack a rear bag when you can utilize something else you already carry.

Randy

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Those are some very good ideas. I think I'll look around and see what I can come up with at home. I've improvised in hunting situations before, but I've been been practicing out in the field lately so didn't have any of those extras a guy usually has with him while hunting.

Clark33

WKR
I actually used my First Lite Uncompahgre jacket. It stuffs into its own pocket and with my bipod up front and it in the rear it worked pretty well.

I have been carrying the Tab Gear Str8 Laced bag. It is as light as I can imagine finding for a dedicated rear bag, they list it at 7oz but I haven't weighed it personally. Plenty of options for adjustment no issues for me.

I added a small carabiner and strap it to the outside of my pack and it's good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Crosstac bags are my favorite. I’ve tried several brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Going to bring an old thread back to life....
What crosstac bags do you prefer? Size? Change your mind and like something else?

Any opinions from anyone else?

Thanks!

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Going to bring an old thread back to life....
What crosstac bags do you prefer? Size? Change your mind and like something else?

Any opinions from anyone else?

Thanks!

I've been using a X-Small Rear Bag from Phoenix Shooting Bags for a while now on my hunting trips and really like it. About the right size and light enough I don't even realize it's attached to my pack when not in use. Phoenix Shooting Bag X-Small Rear Bag

Sled

WKR
I'm in need of a rear bag for hunting, shooting prone off of a bipod. Weight is definitely a concern. I've seen different models from $12-$220, and weights from 7oz-4#.
When hunting I use the backpack, snow or sand. Just make sure the sand isn't actually an ant pile. Don't ask me how I know.

For Target I typically use a small lightweight poly bead filled bag from triad tactical, I think.

Last edited:
Rugged ridge extreme rear support. Absolutely love mine. 4oz and it locks into 4 different positions, plus you just slide it up or down the butt stock to get more adjustment.