How bad is Huskemaw's glass and dialing compared to everything in their weight range?

mcseal2

WKR
I ask that this thread be answered only by those that have personal experience with glass that dials flawlessly:

ANY option that is flat proven reliable with a covered windage knob, MOA reticle, and exposed or covered 100% reliable over hundreds of elevation adjustments scopes that I have missed please let me know:

This is going to be a bit longwinded, but please bear with me and let your experience benefit me and others:

Thanks to everyone who replies for your help.

I have 3 Leupold VX-6 3-18x scopes and if I zero them, bang on the adjustment knobs, and the put 3 shots where the previous 3 went they hold zero extremely well until I adjust anything. None of them dial well though. All have ended up on predator guns where their good features outweigh their bad. Their great field of view on low power and zoom on high power get me more coyotes than a scope with a 20ft FOV on low power that dialed great with a wind reticle would. I can use the TMOA to have a chance at guessing the wind correctly while having an MOA elevation reticle to work with that at least gives me a chance at making the long shots without compromising my ability to hammer the close ones. I have done good work recently with the TMOA and coyotes inside 200yds killing a triple solo.

I have a Huskemaw Tactical 5-30x scope on a rifle that has excellent low light performance but is also huge. It does it's job as a long range rifle with amazing precision, but it's not a scope I'd want on everything, I can't afford to put this type glass on everything. If I want to pack the 12lb rifle, the extra weight of the scope doesn't hurt.

Leupold makes a whale of a product now, but if they upgraded their erector system and used the VX-6 glass nobody could touch them

2five7

WKR
It's like everything else, you have to compromise somewhere. There is no scope that is lightweight, has alpha glass, and tracks perfect. Pick 2 of the 3.

stevevan

WKR
Look into the newer Leupold vx6 HD. Leupold states they have given the newer VX6 HD models an improved, more robust erector system. I have 5 of the older VX6's that I have used a bunch in hunting scenarios. They have served me well for what I do. Awhile back I kinda got caught up in all the fuss about how poor Leu's tend to be. I bought the highly regarded and praised Nightforce NXS. As a hunting scope I did not like it. Too heavy, exposed windage knob, poor reticle options for hunting use, and Made in Japan (my personal problem) stamped on the bottom, and so so glass. I dumped it at a loss. Replaced with 2 of the newer Leupolds VX6 HD's. One a 2-12 and the other 3-18. True hunting scopes. Lockable elevation and lockable windage controls. Glass beats NF! The newer VX6 HD have more noticeable firm "clicks" when making adjustments. I've used both and in my humble opinion the newer version of the Leupold vx6 series is an improvement and very desireable to have on a hunting rifle vs some of the others out there that are best suited for tactical applications.

FURMAN

WKR
It's like everything else, you have to compromise somewhere. There is no scope that is lightweight, has alpha glass, and tracks perfect. Pick 2 of the 3.

You have not played with a March.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I had two rifles with Huskemaw scopes this year. With those two rifles, we killed 11 animals from 40 yards to 940 yards and killed rocks out to past a mile. You don't need alpha glass to kill animals at long range but you do need it to dial the same EVERY time. And IMO and testing the Husky does that.

It is however really hard to convince your wife that the husky is a great scope when she hunted all last year with an X5:)

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I called Leupold and they told me that all VX-6 scopes have the upgraded erector system, there was no difference between the new HD models and the ones I have. Once they told me that I lost interest in a new one. I just haven't had good luck dialing them and having consistent tracking and return to zero. I can dial the one on my 25-06 up for a 300 or 400yd shot and then when I dial it back down it might not move all the way until after the first shot without tapping it first. It holds it's place once it gets there, but doesn't always get there on it's own the first try if that makes sense. They work great when I zero them for the MPBR and leave them alone but adjustments made with the dials don't always move without tapping or recoil first. That's not what I want on a dialing scope.

Maybe the guy I talked to at Leupold was wrong, but according to him all VX-5 and VX-6 scopes have the upgraded dual spring erector system that isn't working for me. I have an old VX-III I had the CDS installed in that dials better, but it gets dialed less too.

One of the rifles I'm looking to change glass on is a 300 win mag that weighs 7.25lbs ready to hunt. My personal limit hunting with the lighter rifle and 180gr Accubond load is 600yds. Maybe I need to look at reticle options instead of dialing options for that rifle, and go ahead and put heavier glass on the heavier rifles. It is primarily used on elk or bigger critters so my kill zone is a bit bigger than a deer's. I usually pack the 264WM that's heavier but easier to shoot well for deer and antelope.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks everyone for the help.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Ryan I listened to your podcast with Jeff and Donald Trump Jr earlier today. I knew Donald Jr hunted but now how much. That guy is one I could see voting for someday if the opportunity arises.

stevevan

WKR
Hi again. Looks like we talked to different people at Leupold. Just so we are on the same page. Yes, all the older VX6's have the same erector system. The same erectors that are in your present VX6's which from the sounds of things were not the most dependable. I was told by the tech at Leupold when I spoke to them that the older Vx6's ,such as you have, were redesigned and built sturdier when they brought out the newer VX6 HD line. So according to them, the newer VX6 HD's are a different beast than the ones you own. The situation was the same for me. That being said I did purchase 2 of the newer versions (VX6 HD's) and in my personal opinion that after owning both the older(original) VX6's and the newer VX6 HD's there appears to me to be an improvement with the newer versions over the older models that you have. The glass is very good and the adjustments are more firm. I differ from those that suggest the quality of glass isn't a big factor. Perhaps they have younger eyes than me as I'm approaching the back side of middle aged. So, with that in mind I believe glass is a big deal and I carry that over to all my optics using top of the line Swaro binos and spotters. Just my 2 pennies.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I like what they told you better than what they told me! I was told that all VX-6 scopes had the same erector system, it was upgraded from the older scope lines but not different between the newer VX-6 or VX-5 with the HD and what I have. My VX-6 scopes have spongy feeling clicks on the adjustments nothing like the Huskemaw I have or the Vortex Viper PST even. I hope they got it right, I love those scopes if I trusted their dialing. It's going to be a bit difficult to trust a hunt to one again though right now. Maybe I'll call them again and ask about upgrading the ones I put on coyote rifles, maybe I just got ahold of the wrong guy last time.

I still think I'm going to a different scope on my 2 main big game guns. I would try these again on a couple rifles I don't take on the big hunts that I still enjoy shooting a lot. It's not as big a deal to miss a rock or coyote practicing around home as it is to miss a buck or bull on a tag I spent years building points for.

Kotaman

WKR
Hi again. Looks like we talked to different people at Leupold. Just so we are on the same page. Yes, all the older VX6's have the same erector system. The same erectors that are in your present VX6's which from the sounds of things were not the most dependable. I was told by the tech at Leupold when I spoke to them that the older Vx6's ,such as you have, were redesigned and built sturdier when they brought out the newer VX6 HD line. So according to them, the newer VX6 HD's are a different beast than the ones you own. The situation was the same for me. That being said I did purchase 2 of the newer versions (VX6 HD's) and in my personal opinion that after owning both the older(original) VX6's and the newer VX6 HD's there appears to me to be an improvement with the newer versions over the older models that you have. The glass is very good and the adjustments are more firm. I differ from those that suggest the quality of glass isn't a big factor. Perhaps they have younger eyes than me as I'm approaching the back side of middle aged. So, with that in mind I believe glass is a big deal and I carry that over to all my optics using top of the line Swaro binos and spotters. Just my 2 pennies.

This was my understanding as well. I too bought into Nightforce and though they are an awesome scope, they aren't the best "hunting/mountain" scope. I have a couple SHV's, a NXS and an ATACR. The ATACR is an awesome scope, but it is a tank. I also have an original VX6 and a new VX 6HD that work perfectly...so far.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Found a Huskemaw 3-12x42 I got bought. Its darn hard to tell anything until it's mounted on a rifle, but it seemed to do ok last night as it got dark bringing in light. I couldn't see a glaring difference between it and my Leupold VX-6 3-18x44, but like I said it's darn hard to compare them until I get it mounted. I think I'm going to put it on my 25-06 that likes the new 110 ELD-X bullet since that gun will get a lot of shooting in the near future as I get data for that load. I have been shooting 18x on most scopes and 30x on the big Huskemaw so I need to see how I like shooting longer with the 12x. 800yds is still very long for me, I'm not shooting the distance some of you are. If I like the 3-12x really well it might end up on my 300WM. That rifle will be primarily used for elk and everything I get to hunt in Alaska or anywhere else big bears live.

I like the covered elevation knob with the yardage or MOA turret under it. For a rifle that will get used in tough conditions this seems to make a lot of sense to me, it just seems better protected and harder for me to screw up. It should only get dialed intentionally. I've got myself in the habit of looking at my Swaro Z5 every time I get ready to shoot it to make sure the turret is where I want it.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We carry Huskemaw. I have shot everything from the 3-12 to the 5-30 from 100yrds all the way out to a mile. I have been really please with their performance and glass quality. True, it doesn't look to be the best glass around, but they are plenty clear. I will say this, a 4-16x42 will be going onto my next hunting rifle. The double decker turret/BDC system is great and makes changing environments a breeze to deal with for longer shots. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
*Disclaimer: I have never personally had my hands on a husky, but I know 2 people that HAVE had them. Both were older models, and improvements may have been made since then.

Both guys had tracking issues. And while I understand every company has a lemon slip through every now and then, the way that their customer service handles the problem plays a big part in who I give my business to. In both cases, to say that their CS was disappointing would be an understatement. Several months after sending their scopes back, and trouble getting CS to follow up, the end result was that they had to pay the cost difference to upgrade to the next model as the model that they had sent in had been discontinued.

Not trying to bash a product. Just figured that if you rely on a scope perfectly tracking 100%, and a company that stands behind their product 100%, you may take this into consideration.

To me, the cost and weight penalty of a NF, S&B, March, etc, is worth the peace of mind that they won’t let you down on the shot of a lifetime.
(Leupold might be there with the vx6 hd, or getting close, idk. But at this point they are just too new to the LR game for me to have 100% confidence in)

Good glass is great, but it doesn’t do much good if you can’t hit what you can see.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone for weighing in. I will see how the 3-12x does and see what I get for the other rifles. I'm going to shoot it a while before getting a turret made. Especially if it ends up on my 300 win mag a couple turrets for different elevations should cover any shooting I'll do. That rifle is pretty light and I don't ever see myself trying to reach past 600yds with it. If I need more distance I will want to be shooting a heavier rifle anyway that's easier to shoot well.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I also have had the “gold ring shuffle” when dialing. BUT I don’t feel it’s true for the whole line and Leupold will go back into the scope. I used to hate husky’s just due to the fact they started the whole “just turn and send it without practice” which I think had wounded more animals than archery equipment. BUT I have several friends that use and swear by them to the point if I saw an unreal deal on the midsize I would grab it and I’m a NF guy.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah I don't buy into the whole "X yards right out of the box" or any of that BS. I shoot a lot and I know it takes practice to gain and maintain the skill needed to shoot. I grew up on the same ranch where I still live. My allowance would let me buy a brick of 22 shells each week and I'd be REALLY low on ammo by the end of the week. No more shots at blackbirds or sparrows, just big game like rabbits and squirrels until the next brick was bought. Now I have a 100yd range in my yard plus a big brome field to shoot reactive polymer targets out to 400yds within easy walking distance. I have to go a mile up the road to shoot steel on my longer range spot. The only bench is the one by the house, the rest I shoot from field positions. With all the shooting I do I can still be humbled on a windy day at distance, and I'm not shooting as far as many of you. I keep getting better though.

Found a Huskemaw 3-12x42 I got bought. Its darn hard to tell anything until it's mounted on a rifle, but it seemed to do ok last night as it got dark bringing in light. I couldn't see a glaring difference between it and my Leupold VX-6 3-18x44, but like I said it's darn hard to compare them until I get it mounted. I think I'm going to put it on my 25-06 that likes the new 110 ELD-X bullet since that gun will get a lot of shooting in the near future as I get data for that load. I have been shooting 18x on most scopes and 30x on the big Huskemaw so I need to see how I like shooting longer with the 12x. 800yds is still very long for me, I'm not shooting the distance some of you are. If I like the 3-12x really well it might end up on my 300WM. That rifle will be primarily used for elk and everything I get to hunt in Alaska or anywhere else big bears live.

I like the covered elevation knob with the yardage or MOA turret under it. For a rifle that will get used in tough conditions this seems to make a lot of sense to me, it just seems better protected and harder for me to screw up. It should only get dialed intentionally. I've got myself in the habit of looking at my Swaro Z5 every time I get ready to shoot it to make sure the turret is where I want it.

Well how did the 3-12 Husky do.
I'm considering it for a rifle.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I've been very happy with it. I have taken a moose, muley, and some whitetail with it between 200 and 400 yards. I've dialed it practicing a lot between 300 and 700 yards and it's tracked perfect. I had it side by side with a buddies Z5 3.5-18x Swaro and we both agreed we could not take a shot in low light with the Swaro we couldn't with the Huskemaw. The Swaro glass is better, but not enough better to make a difference to me.

I now also own a 1-6x Huskemaw, two 4-16x, and two 5-20x also. I have the big 5-30x as well. I have had no issue with any. One 4-16x is on the 243 I've been bouncing around in the UTV the last 5 weeks checking cows with and it has held zero and kept killing yotes. That's a pretty rough job for any scope. The 5-30x is awesome to use, but it's bulky and heavy enough I plan to sell it. The 30mm versions I really like.

Gerbigs Militaria from Nebraska had the best price I could find on the ones I bought new.

FURMAN

WKR
I had two rifles with Huskemaw scopes this year. With those two rifles, we killed 11 animals from 40 yards to 940 yards and killed rocks out to past a mile. You don't need alpha glass to kill animals at long range but you do need it to dial the same EVERY time. And IMO and testing the Husky does that.

It is however really hard to convince your wife that the husky is a great scope when she hunted all last year with an X5:)

Could not agree with this more. Tracking trumps glass every time.