The "Best" suppressor

FlyGuy

WKR
...Is not what I am looking for.

I am getting ready to make my 1st purchase and trting to do my homework. I've read tons of threads about suppressors and most are saying the sane thing. "I have a thunderbeast ultra and it's great"; "I have an omega 30 and I love it"...

I don't see anyone really complaining about their suppressor, which tells me that people seem to be satisfied with whatever they purchase - all good news.

But, outside of that it doesn't tell me much about the differences between the various products on the market. Ryan Avery, if you read this, I think it would be a great idea for Rokslide to do a hunting suppressor review from the perspective of the mtn hunter! These are large purchases, and you really can't "try it before you buy it" due to a the regulations. And, since it is such a PITA to acquire, you are kind of stuck with what you get, so it's nerve racking for 1st time buyers like me that want to make the best decision possible.

Back to my question. Hoping someone else has faced this and can help me at least narrow down the field. I am not looking for the most quiet one out there. I am looking for the SHORTEST and the LIGHTEST model that will be just good enough to get me down to (or close to) hearing safe levels (in a 300WSM) so that I don't have to wear/carry/remember hearing protection while hunting. I'm shooting a CA Ridgeline. Its got a 24" barrel that I can't shorten, so I would prefer not to hang a 9" can off the end of it if I don't need to. I really just want to be able to enjoy the recoil reduction that my break provides without needing to hunt with hearing protection. Trying to save the hearing I have left (Funny how that suddenly becomes more of a priority once you hit your mid 40's.)

I'm hoping that some of you can provide me some direction based off of that perspective? Thanks in advance for all the help you guys provide. I'm always learning from the collective knowledge on this site.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Dusty2426

WKR
After researching a lot I’m going with the omega 30. Seems like the shortest to weight/strength ratio Mine is going on a 20inch .300wm but can swap to my 6.5 easily

Hall256

WKR
Had the same issue, wishing I could try before I bought. In the end I purchased the Gemtech Tracker, mainly as it seemed designed for the hunter in mind. The can is not full auto rated, as it's meant for hunting, so there for it is not as large/heavy as others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend looking at the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 .30 cal.

I️ have both the Omega .30 and the Ultra 7 and the TBAC Ultra 7 wins for a dedicated hunting suppressor. At 11 oz I️ barely notice it on the front of my rifle, it sounds great, it’s extremely well made, rated up to .300RUM, and TBAC is an awesome company altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through the same process of shopping for a suppressor and ended up buying Suppressed Armament Systems ReaperMX and Barricade suppressor. SAS are about the shortest and lightest you can find plus the company is local to me which influenced my purchasing decision.

Scottyboy

WKR
i have a TBAC Ultra 7 and couldnt be any happier. as was mentioned above, its extremely lightweight and works very well. i would caution you going too short more or less eliminates the idea for a suppressor, especially on a 30 cal. if you are going to put a few cans on the same form...then sure, get a shorty, mid size etc but if you are getting just one...i, personally, would not go for the shortest/lightest option based on that alone

i hardly notice the added length on my 24" bbl, your mileage may vary.

Delta P and Crux are hard to beat in the weight and size category. Delta P uses a special process to 3d print theirs, and they plate the blast baffle with an Inconel alloy. Lightest I've seen on the market, but pricy. Crux' prices are a little more reasonably prices. All welded titanium, taper direct thread mount. Just make sure whatever you get is direct thread, QD mounts aren't for precision rifles.

marktole

WKR
Just make sure whatever you get is direct thread, QD mounts aren't for precision rifles.

Maybe some brands do not have good QD systems and it causes point of impact shifts, but I have used Surefire SOCOM suppressors with their QD system extensively and there’s no POI shift, just as they claim. However, on a hunting rifle, I am not sure how much a QD system really matters. It seems like I’d rather just put it on when I zero the gun and leave it there as long as I don’t need it on another gun. Also not sure how the Surefire stacks up to other suppressors as far as weight/ length as per the OP’s question.

...Is not what I am looking for.

I am getting ready to make my 1st purchase and trting to do my homework. I've read tons of threads about suppressors and most are saying the sane thing. "I have a thunderbeast ultra and it's great"; "I have an omega 30 and I love it"...

I don't see anyone really complaining about their suppressor, which tells me that people seem to be satisfied with whatever they purchase - all good news.

But, outside of that it doesn't tell me much about the differences between the various products on the market. Ryan Avery, if you read this, I think it would be a great idea for Rokslide to do a hunting suppressor review from the perspective of the mtn hunter! These are large purchases, and you really can't "try it before you buy it" due to a the regulations. And, since it is such a PITA to acquire, you are kind of stuck with what you get, so it's nerve racking for 1st time buyers like me that want to make the best decision possible.

Back to my question. Hoping someone else has faced this and can help me at least narrow down the field. I am not looking for the most quiet one out there. I am looking for the SHORTEST and the LIGHTEST model that will be just good enough to get me down to (or close to) hearing safe levels (in a 300WSM) so that I don't have to wear/carry/remember hearing protection while hunting. I'm shooting a CA Ridgeline. Its got a 24" barrel that I can't shorten, so I would prefer not to hang a 9" can off the end of it if I don't need to. I really just want to be able to enjoy the recoil reduction that my break provides without needing to hunt with hearing protection. Trying to save the hearing I have left (Funny how that suddenly becomes more of a priority once you hit your mid 40's.)

I'm hoping that some of you can provide me some direction based off of that perspective? Thanks in advance for all the help you guys provide. I'm always learning from the collective knowledge on this site.

For everything that you are looking for, check with Suppressed Armament Systems. After I purchased a Surefire and then an AAC, I had a chance to hear and try some of these out. They suppress really well at half the size and weight. Visit Suppressedarmament.com Home for more information. I am looking forward to buying one some day, but wish I had seen them first. While my Surefire is decent, it is not nearly to the level as the SAS.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It's very hard to do a can review the cost, laws and wait times all being a factor. When I was looking at buying one I shot around 12 different brands. I know you don't want to hear it but TB was the clear winner to me. The loudest seem to be the omega. I had one from GemTech, don't know the model, it had the biggest POI Shift. But I am far from an expert in suppressors.

My Computer has taken a shit. When my new ones up and running I will post the ones I've tried and my thoughts. It would be cool for everyone else to do the same with links to the suppressors.

Whisky

WKR
For center fires I have a Thunderbeast 30p-1. At that time there wasn't many or any of new shorter and lighter cans out. Now that i'm looking for a dedicated hunting rifle can, I have narrowed to the TB Ultra 7 or the new Varminter 4.0 from Dakota Silencer. I have buddies with the Varminter 3.0 and they are solid cans. The new 4.0 is modular, you can change it from a 9" to 7", and can be taken apart for cleaning. Probably the only 30cal suppressor that is modular and can be taken apart. Pretty dang unique!!

I have a Dakota Silencer rimfire can (Tango) and compared it to my previous one which was considered my many to be the best (SilencerCo Spectre II). And the Dakota Silencer was quieter, smaller and lighter. Dakota Silencer suppressors are made by Mack Bros out of Sturgis. They do good work. Normally I'd default to Thunder Beast because I think of them as "the best". But that Varminter 4.0 also has my attention now. It just came out very recently so I don't think there will be much for reviews yet.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Appreciate all the comments. There were a few here that I had not considered. I built a spreadsheet earlier today to compare specs of the cans listed. Based on the numbers alone for everything listed I'm leaning towards the Crux Nemesis30 or Nemesis338. These look to have the best combination of lightest (10-11oz) and shortest (4" added length, 6" total).

I'm Going to dig into these a little further before making any decisions, but it looks like I need to start listing some unused gear to fund a purchase!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you are seeking small and light the TBAC ultra 5" is hard to beat for that. I have 2 ultra 7s in waiting but part of me wishes one of them was a ultra 5 after uses my buddy's.

Whisky

WKR
If you are seeking small and light the TBAC ultra 5" is hard to beat for that. I have 2 ultra 7s in waiting but part of me wishes one of them was a ultra 5 after uses my buddy's.

What rifle did you use it on, and how did it sound compared to a 7 or 9" suppressor? I know machines can record the difference, but I'm curious if it's that obvious in real world conditions.

GotDraw?

WKR
Ryan, question is... since manufacturers would be loaning these to you and you'd be testing/not buying these, does the paperwork become manageable? If so, seems like a perfect test for you to run!

JL

It's very hard to do a can review the cost, laws and wait times all being a factor. When I was looking at buying one I shot around 12 different brands. I know you don't want to hear it but TB was the clear winner to me. The loudest seem to be the omega. I had one from GemTech, don't know the model, it had the biggest POI Shift. But I am far from an expert in suppressors.

My Computer has taken a shit. When my new ones up and running I will post the ones I've tried and my thoughts. It would be cool for everyone else to do the same with links to the suppressors.

gbflyer

WKR
The "Best" suppressor

Silencerco Harvester. Light, quiet, around $600 and change. Good up to .300 Win Mag, sounds like .22 mag more or less. Not for machine guns so it's lighter. Excellent hunting rig. Also check out their Hybrid. Much more versatile, up to 45/70 and also various handguns. Called there a couple of years ago for a thread adapter. Good CS and I'd like to see the gal who did the voice for their recording.

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
There are a ton of great cans on the market these days. I have had the opportunity to shoot many different cans at various classes and competitions. My personal preference is TBAC hands down. I do a lot of backcountry hunting and weight is always a large consideration and in the precision rifle world TBAC is the go to for most people. The combination of weight, length, db rating and caliber compatibility is really hard to beat. The Ultra 5 is very small but is barely hearing safe. If you shoot much outside of hunting you will be much happier with the 7 or 9. I never even take my Ultra 7 off anymore and you just get used to the length. It adds 6.5 inches overall. When length is really an issue I run a side folder. Don't stress about it too much despite what you think, it won't be the only one you buy. Once you get one you never want to shoot anything unsuppressed and before you know it there is a pile of them in your safe.

bradb

WKR
Just for fun Thursday after testing loads at 500 with my 6.5 creed(with Omega on) I then shot the steel for a bit switching between the Omega and a muzzle breaks and more 3 port break. The brake may have reduced recoil slightly more, the creed doesn't recoil much(little over 10Lb gun with the carbon barrel on right now) but with the added blast I will take the can everyday of the week. Cans SPOIL you! Yes the brake is shorter and lighter and at certain times hunting might end up being used. I had about a 2moa adjustment for the 2 at 500. Best seating depth went into a nice little .96 inch!