Rifle Weight

I am not looking for a mountain rifle, but not for Sheep, more of an all around rifle. I will carry it for Elk and Deer in the mountains. What is the right balance between shoot-ability vs too heavy to carry every day on a week long hunt? Are heavy rifles (8.5 lbs bare) more forgiving and easier to shoot?

bates

WKR
yes, a heavier rifle to me is easier to shoot.

how far are you wanting to be effective to and what is it chambered in?

since you posted in the long range section, i would assume long range, i would think a gun around 10lbs would fit the bill, enough weight to shoot but wont be too much to carry. getting a good pack with a rifle carrier helps alot

idig4au

WKR
I like my rifles to be between 7 - 8lbs scoped and fully loaded. It’s a good balance between easy to pack and comfortable to shoot with confidence at the ranges I shoot at.

I have a 30-378 wby with a swaro z6 on it that weighs in just at 8 lbs and have zero problems shooting out to 1000 yards with it

V65Magna

FNG
I hunted with a Cooper Jackson Game rifle (Model 52) for several years but scoped and loaded it weighed in at 9.5 lbs., and I would have to admit that I considered it a tank. I don't think I ever shot anything off hand with it, using it most of the time in elevated blinds. For that reason, I've relegated it to prone bipod shooting for varmints. I am biased toward heavier rifles, however and yes, they are more forgiving to shoot. I think if you are going to do a lot of moving around, you will want the complete package not to exceed 8.0 lbs. That seems like a good compromise between light enough to lug around but stable enough for longer shots should the opportunities present themselves. I'd look for a medium profiled (fluted barrel) that can be balanced well in a light stock. I'm sure somebody makes it.

FURMAN

WKR
As already stated heavier rifles are easier to shoot. I am currently shooting a Fierce CT Edge 30 Nosler with a NXS on it. It is 8.75lbs all up. I could shave 9oz by putting my March on it but I need some-more run time with the March to have the same confidence level as the Nightforce. I have no problems shooting long distance with it. The heavier the recoil the harder it is to shoot light rifles.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I was pretty ecstatic about my 8lbs CA Ridgeline in 30, 20 inch pipe, talleys, vx6 2-12. Super light and handy in the mountains. Easy to carry on my ram hunt in Alaska and bang flopped a bull elk at 400 yards last November.

That said, it's been replaced by a nosler m48 Liberty 300wsm, 24 inch barrel, vx5 3-15, Harris bipod. Weighs about 9.5lbs unloaded. I'll carry it everywhere. It's just so much easier to consistently shoot accurately.

Kotaman

WKR
For a Mountain rifle, if it’s under 8 scoped I’m happy. I have a couple that are pushing 8.5 and while fine, I can tell you I’d much rather carry 7.5. Yes, I shoot a 10 lber better, but no way am I carrying a 10 lb. rifle in the mountains.

slick

WKR
I have a Tikka T3x 300WM with VX2-2-7 & Leupold bases and rings

All up I believe it weighs somewhere in the 7.5lbs or so. I’m limiting myself with the scope but works for me, I will say it kicks pretty good being a magdumb, but has done its job. Certainly looking at one of the smaller bore cartridges as the 300 was a bit much for a muley and BHS ewe this year. I packed that thing over hill and dale and think it’s a pretty balanced weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light rifles are awesome until you settle behind a heavy rifle :)
I mean there's very little to NOT like about shooting a 12+ lb 6mm rifle at distance... but its not a practical balance between packing weight and ease of shooting.

A sub 9 lb. scoped rifle for me is good for about 700 yards in most conditions. That said I'll likely be packing an 11 lb 338 this fall. Those extra 3 lbs give me a lot more confidence at distance.

Mike

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a kimber montana 308that comes in just under 6lbs, It was all I had for a few years so I guess I just learned to shoot it. About a year ago, I got a winchester 70 extreme conditions rifle, it weighs 8lb 2oz and feels like a tank after using the kimber for so long. It shoots well though.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
There is no need to have s double digit weight rifle with all the modern options out there (carbon barrel/stock, TI action, fluting). I run a 27 in (plus Brake) heavy fluted brux #4 with a McMillan edge game scout on a ADL 700 milled out for a 4 inch box. Bolt handle and body have also been lightened. My weight is in my scope (NXS) in Talley’s. I’m right at 8.75 and I don’t feel I’m giving up anything compared to my bench gun. I’m completely comfortable at 1K all day long in many conditions, but as you know there are so many variables while hunting that shots that far just aren’t always practical but practicing at those ranges regularly really build confidence in shorter shots. You are not firing 5 shot groups where the weight of the barrel thickness will help keep temps down and the gun stable. You will pack this thing up mountains for the goal of pulling the trigger 1 time during a season. People confuse bench/marksmanship/PRS Guns with mountain Guns far to often. Talk with Blue Mountain Precision if you want a lightweight long range mountain gun, David Long even runs one of his rifles now.

There’s also nothing wrong with having a couple different mountain options.

If you’re planning on going up and down all day(elk, ram, some deer hunting, etc) a lightweight rifle is what you’re after... however if you’re just packing into a basin/mountain and going to be in one place pretty much the whole trip, a 9-10 lb rifle doesn’t sound all that bad.

I guess I’m just saying bring along what you need.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
My rifle weighs in about 16lbs and will add another 29oz this fall when I get the paperwork for suppressor. Previously I had a 12lb rifle and I feel this one is easier to carry because it is so short at only 43.5" with a 32" barrel and majority of the weight is in the rear.

Part of the problem with a lot of light rifles are the awful ergonomics of sporter type stocks. There are better designs available now that offer great ergonomics without a 3+ lb weight penalty. As was stated above, you can go pretty light and still be very shootable.

You can absolutely shoot sub 9 lbs guns at 1000 yards.... but you better be on your A game fundamentals wise. Natural point of aim, properly loading your bipod, no sideways palm pressure, straight trigger pull...etc all those factors affect your shooting.

For example, shooting steep uphill angles without a proper rear support will oftentimes kick your impact high. The problem is only exaggerated with bigger calibers.

My advise is if you’re going to build something sub 9 lbs scoped, stick to the .284 calibers and/or have a realistic limit for on game distance. If you’re going heavy 30 or 338 calibers, aim for 9.5-10+ lbs with optics, it really is that much easier to shoot.
We pack lbs upon lbs of optics to make ourselves more effective hunters, the same theory applies to long range killing. You pay a weight penalty for increasing your consistency at distance.

I just built this rifle for myself and it’s 10.5 lbs without a bipod, and really is about as light as I want to go for killing stuff at 1000. I’ll have a sub 9 lb 7 SAUM for 700 and in hunts.

954ed85ad1f96cae15cdd6eb5dcc456f.jpg

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 300 Win mag elk rifle is 9.8 pounds including scope, rifle sling, and bipod.
My 6.5 CM deer rifle is 9.1 pounds including scope, rifle sling, and bipod.

I have shot lighter weight rigs, but have found that I am not consistent with them beyond 450 yards or so.

If you are looking at shooting longer ranges, you should still get as light a rifle as you can, and go a bit heavier on the scope. Light rifle and heavy scope still gets you in under 10 pounds, which is what I find to be the approximate line between easy to carry and hard to carry.

Broz

WKR
I was thinking yesterday while shooting groups from a light weight 300 RUM, that some weight would definitely tighten the groups up. Not just for the fact, weight makes it easier to split a small aim point with the cross hairs, and stay there, but even with well practiced form, and the best bipod and bags, the rifle movement during recoil is more significant from light rifles. That nano second while the bullet is still in the barrel does influence point of impact more than many think, or are willing to admit. Packing a couple extra pounds may seem unnecessary, But rest assured it will pay dividends when 100% of the accuracy is needed at distance.

Jeff

I was thinking yesterday while shooting groups from a light weight 300 RUM, that some weight would definitely tighten the groups up. Not just for the fact, weight makes it easier to split a small aim point with the cross hairs, and stay there, but even with well practiced form, and the best bipod and bags, the rifle movement during recoil is more significant from light rifles. That nano second while the bullet is still in the barrel does influence point of impact more than many think, or are willing to admit. Packing a couple extra pounds may seem unnecessary, But rest assured it will pay dividends when 100% of the accuracy is needed at distance.

Jeff

Definitely true.

This article gives good advice for how to mitigate recoil.

Hold that Forend!

Totoro

WKR
I ran around the states with NULA, MGA and Rifles Inc back in the day. Weighed nothing to pack around and shot just fine in 280AI and 140BT and sub 400ish shots.

My first heavier gun was a Jarrett in 300 Jarrett, with a 3-12 Swaro PH 9lbs. Wow, amazingly easy to pull up tight and kiss off a round; more forgiving in field shooting position and when I am out of breath.

Enter 12.75lb in 300RUM by HS Precision with MK4 rings/bases/8-25 LR MK4. Nothing was safe those seasons from 300lb hogs to coues deer. But damn that thing sucked to haul around.

My next build will come in around 10.25lbs with an NXS and I will be pretty happy with that weight.

Most important variable foe me is balance. Granted in LR, we are proned out, over bags, pods etc. But I have been surprised more than once where an off hand shot was all I had and not having an overtly heavy muzzle helped me put meat in the box.

YMMV