long range scope for newb??

So I got helluva deal on a new Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 creedmoor.

At first I was going to throw a Leica ER5 2-10x50 on it and call it good. Then I got to thinking....this rifle has a lot more it can do if I learn a bit and put a nice piece of glass on it.

So if A guy wanted to "sorta" get into some long range shooting, but mostly wanted to go Ron Popeil style and "set it and forget it it"......would you still go with the Leica or would you go with something else?

I would just be the occasional turret clicker (unless I learn a lot more) and do plan to take a local precision rifle class or two this summer. I am willing to spend up to $1000-1200.

Thanks in advance!!!!

FURMAN

WKR
Leica would not be in my top ten of choices. I would look at Sightron SIIIs, Vortex PSTs or Nightforce SHVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was like you. Didn't know diddly about clicking and shooting LR. Bought a rather budget 6.5, did a little work to it, mostly upgrading the stock.

I bought a SWFA fixed 10X in MRAD. I would have liked to have spent more, but it was one of those "not sure how much I'll use it, don't want to drop a lot of coin on another hobby" kind of deals.

Bought a 20 MOA pic rail, bedded it, mounted the scope and started using the Shooter app. Now I'm hooked! I never knew how much fun it was banging plates out to 1120 yards, which is the farthest we have at my local range. Learning to dial seemed intimidating, but it's not that bad to learn. Pretty simple once you have a good dope.

For 1K, I would seriously look at the Bushnell LRHS. Yeah, its a Bushnell, but read the reviews and comments about it. It's been discussed here on many occasions.

OP
Ironmerganser
I am taking a serious look at the SHV 4-14 F1.....I was actually looking at that one before I posted this.

I just got the NF SHV- 5x20x56 good scope- heavy, but quality.
Also the eye relief is touchy at max mag. You gotta be right there or it gets lost.
With that said- I still say get the SHV
You've got a decent rifle, put a good scope on it, or sell it
lol....

I couldn't decide ether so went with the 10x swfa super reliable turrets and plenty good for target shooting. But it's lo light quality is a no go on a hunting rifle for me at least.
I'd go Hst, Pst, or the Shv.
I'm not really a gaint scope guy so on a nice light weight hunting rifle like that is prob go with a 4-16 44mm if me.
Just prefer the weight savings and my rifle to lay flat when I lay it down idk.

LightFoot

WKR
Zeiss HD5 3-15x50
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44
Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just picked up a SHV for a new rifle. Awesome NF scope and for the money I don't think that it can be beat.

TauPhi111

WKR
I've been long range shooting for a couple years now, but I still consider myself a noob. If I were you I'd look at the Vortex Viper PSTs with the FFP reticles. I have a 6-24x Gen 1 that is a fantastic scope for the money. They have the Gen 2's now which I hear are even better. If you're only going to do long range with this gun, I'd get the 5-25x, but if it'll be more of an all purpose gun with occasional long range, I think they make a 3-15x that would work well.

robie

WKR
I picked up a Burris Veracity last year and have enjoyed it. It's not as popular but get some good reviews over on sniperhide and some of the long range forums. It is a FFP scope and something I wanted to test out.

Price point is very competitive.

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ve been using a sig whiskey 5 for the last month or so and have been rather pleased with it. The zero stop is ‘different’ but completely functional. Level plex is a nice feature if there is any value add for your want list. I have the milling reticle and have zero complaints on it, very well designed in my opinion

OP
Ironmerganser
thanks for all the help!! I am leaning towards the NF SHV....with Burris Veracity in second and the Whiskey 5 an honorable mention........still looking though...

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently running the Burris XTR-2 4X20 FFP with the SCR reticle. I've had really good luck with it, as it has tracked really well. I do dial a lot and have hit out to 1200 with it on my 6.5. It is heavy though, which is one reason I won't add one to my hunting set up.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I snagged an SHV 3-10x42 with 30moa reticle and NF lightweight mounts for $600.00, barely used. So far it's an excellent little scope setup and can't beat the price. I've only looked at targets out to about 900 with it. While I think it's totally serviceable a little more mag would be nice. But for the price I paid I'd buy it again in a second.