Tikka 7MM with X5 for hunting

Hi there,

Looking to get acquire a more serious rifle as my hunting expands in the coming years. I've been researching for hours on the web and this site and have learned a ton along with great info. I'm new to long-range tactics but it definitely looks like something that would be fun to hone longer range shots mainly for practice but if the skill set was learned and I gained confidence, i could see an environmental where a longer shot could provide an advantage.

My primary focus is bow hunting however with 3 boys (oldest at 6) its a lot harder to take them bow hunting and actually be successful at least for the next several years until they get older so i thought rifle hunting may provide more days in the field with them.

From reading the site it sounds like the Tikka is a great off the shelf gun so I plan to check them out (Lefty) in the 7mm. Since my primary hunting grounds will be California (Pig, deer) and Idaho for deer and maybe elk, I was looking for a scope that i wouldn't regret or want to upgrade as my shooting improves and/or future upgrade to a semi-custom gun down the road. Eventually, i'd love to gain confidence to shoot 500 yards at game but also would love to practice at longer distance. I don't mind spending money once for good equipment so i've been looking at the X5, ATACR and the NXS. Would these be completely overkill or provide the growth and platform to take my shooting to the next level with practice. I will shoot factor loads for the time being (used to reload but with kids, no time).

Additionally, my hunting will consist of long walks etc so i know these scopes pack a bit of weight.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to the years to come.

davsco

WKR
i like my nf nxs 5.5-22x56 so much i bought a 2nd one for my 2nd precision rifle. for me, this scope is way too big (heavy & large) for a hunting rifle, but they do make smaller, less powerful, versions. other than the $$$ i wouldn't hesitate to buy another nf. i have been looking at the nxs 2.5-10x42 for another hunting rifle scope.

LightFoot

WKR
That is a lot of scope for up to 500 yds. A lightweight scope with turrets or holdover-type reticle may pairs well with a Tikka.

The NF NXS 2.5-10x42 would be my choice of the list you made.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
If you intend to reload, I would look elsewhere for a rifle. The Tikka has a short mag length so loading bullets close the lands can be an issue, unless you want to single feed.

The better options are Christensen and Cooper, as far as what I've personally experienced. You can get lighter weight rifles from both of them to offset the weight of the scope.

As far as scope, the Swaro X5 is good. Stay away from the Z series if you want to shoot long distance... being limited to a single revolution is a problem. Also, be careful on the reticle selection as well. They have a bunch that are Mil on the reticle (denoted by markings at 3.6in) and MOA on the turret. The 5 doesn't suffer from these afflictions. Personally, I'm a huge Nightforce fan.

-David

OP
C
Thanks for the feedback on this guys. I will certainly check out the NXS 2.5-10. That seems like a solid scope for the situation. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the Christensen arms and i did check them out today at a local shop and they felt nice when compared to the Tikka. I'll have to do more research as i don't mind spending more on the rifle but would like to keep it under $2k for just the rifle on this one. If I get more into shooting and find the time, i can always get cute with a custom if needed.

With the 2.5-10 weighing 20 ounces and the X5 weighing 8 ounces more, is that worth the trade off as it doesn't seem like much of a weight difference. Maybe i'll get the NXS and give it a shot as it will save a few bucks and probably be exactly what I am looking for. Down the road i can step up to a longer range scope on a new gun and give this one to the kids. Never can have too many. So in stepping down into this class, most would recommend the NXS vs the Z5?

Thanks again!

OP
C
Just decided to weight my current riffle with a 3x9 scope and its nearly 12 pounds (wood stock) and doesn't bother me one bit. Guess a few ounces here or there on a scoped combined with a lighter rifle will still be much lighter than my current setup but a few pounds!!

brocksw

WKR
If you load and you're worried about mag length buy a sako finnlight and save some money over a Cooper or Christiansen.

Sako/tikka... for the money are some hard rifles to beat and you'll have a fantastic action to build off of in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
C
Ordered the 30.06 today instead and purchased through Whittaker thanks to this site. Great deal!

Still pondering between the Z5 3-18x44 and the NXS 2.5-10x42. i like the bit of extra magnification but it sounds like the NXS is much better for dialing BT and tracking. Thanks again.

Ordered the 30.06 today instead and purchased through Whittaker thanks to this site. Great deal!

Still pondering between the Z5 3-18x44 and the NXS 2.5-10x42. i like the bit of extra magnification but it sounds like the NXS is much better for dialing BT and tracking. Thanks again.

IF, you are looking to SAVE some Money (and WEIGHT) you might look at, a Burris 4.5x14 E1 or, a Veracity ! The .30-06 is a great caliber when using, 165 or 180 grain Noslers ( Part's or, AccuBond's). My son used a 165 gr part in his 06 to get a NICE, Black Bear. Congrat's, if you chose, a Tikka ! I used Weaver Bases and Burris Medium ZEE Rings to mount my 4.5x14 Burris, on my Tikka .270 wsm and it weighs 7.7 pounds with, scope, mounts, voodoo tactical cheek rest and the 24 inch bbl. Good Luck !

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider

i've had both. I would get the Nxs 2.5-10 and not the Z5. But the NXS will cost more so there's that. No question that the glass is better (to me) on the Z5 but I wouldn't trust the turrets on a hunt and I don't like any of the reticle choices that the Z5 has. I regret selling my nxs 2.5-10x42 and may buy another for a tikka 30-06 i have in my safe. It would be a perfect match for that cartridge.

You should be fine with the mag length on a 30-06, but if you decide you want to run AICS mags, check out mountain tactical. They offer a LA bottom metal for the factory inlet that accepts a 3.6 COAL. You'll add a touch of weight, but if I would imagine if you need the extra performance it's worth it.

Tikka T3 Long Action AICS Bottom Metal

FURMAN

WKR
Since you posted in the long range forum I have to say 10x is a handicap. Can you shoot long range with 10x? Yes. Is 20x better? Much. With the scopes you listed I would take a hard look at the March 2.5-25x52. It is an amazing scope and will cover everything you could need.