300 Norma vs 300 Ultramag

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes, 570 not a fan of RL33

We loaded up some new Sierra MK 230 yesterday. Hope the 1/9 can spin them. But the 800 BC is sic if it’s true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Yes, 570 not a fan of RL33

We loaded up some new Sierra MK 230 yesterday. Hope the 1/9 can spin them. But the 800 BC is sic if it’s true!

Looking forward to your reports on the 230 SMKs.

FURMAN

WKR
I will.

Also been thinking about what we talked about. The 30 Nosler should get more love after doing a little research. Brass is the only issue with the 30 Nosler and we hope to fix that.

Pretty good read, although I would of like to have seen the 30 Nosler with 230s
300 Norma Mag vs. 338 Lapua vs. 30 Nosler - Cleckner

If I could get you to send me a couple 230 Bergers and 230 SMKs I’ll have a reamer cut and thread a savage to see how hard we can push the larger bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bates

WKR
With these new bullets in 30 cal I’m really leaning towards trying a 300 Norma improved variant based on the new Lapua Brass

I just feel the shorter case will be better for the 230 and 245’s

No doubt the 300 ultra is no slouch and a lot easier but starting from scratch the Norma really has my attention.

I’m just afraid it will be a year until we see the Berger 245’s

Really hoping the new Sierras turn out to be shooters and are consistent

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
With these new bullets in 30 cal I’m really leaning towards trying a 300 Norma improved variant based on the new Lapua Brass

I just feel the shorter case will be better for the 230 and 245’s

No doubt the 300 ultra is no slouch and a lot easier but starting from scratch the Norma really has my attention.

I’m just afraid it will be a year until we see the Berger 245’s

Really hoping the new Sierras turn out to be shooters and are consistent

Why not a 30 Lapua improved?

mtmuley

WKR
If you are gonna use the Norma, why not jump to the .30-.338 Lapua IMP? Same bolt face I believe. That would really make the new big .30's sing. Typing at the same time Ryan. mtmuley

bates

WKR
Yeah valid point on the 300/338 Lapua variant. Never really thought of it.

Mainly thinking 300 Norma variant so I don’t have to neck down. Just take the 300
Norma load and shoot. Also just impressed with other 300. Norma accuracy. Know nothing about the 300-338 Lapua.

mtmuley

WKR
I can hook you up with a guy that knows the .30-.338 if you are interested. He makes bullets too. mtmuley

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Barrel length?

28 or 30", I'll ask him tomorrow. The only downside is throats are gone in 400 rounds.

He said he got the 212 eldx past 3400 without blowing primer pockets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Broz

WKR
28 or 30", I'll ask him tomorrow. The only downside is throats are gone in 400 rounds.

He said he got the 212 eldx past 3400 without blowing primer pockets.

I would sure like to know the powder and charge weight. If it is toasting the throat in 400 rounds it must be close to 70 K psi or he is shooting long strings. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
I would sure like to know the powder and charge weight. If it is toasting the throat in 400 rounds it must be close to 70 K psi or he is shooting long strings. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
I just got off the phone with my buddy, it's a reamer issue on the new builds, so they're building a new reamer. The current reamer leaves to short of neck and doesn't direct the powder charge right.

103 grains rl33 is the charge.

Broz

WKR
I just got off the phone with my buddy, it's a reamer issue on the new builds, so they're building a new reamer. The current reamer leaves to short of neck and doesn't direct the powder charge right.

103 grains rl33 is the charge.

I think I know what they are fighting. 30 or 35 degree shoulders with not enough neck to direct the flame inside the neck can direct the flame onto the the throat outside the case. I have ran 101 gr of 33 in a rum under a 230 and was at 70 K and way too hot, but velocity was just under 3200 from a 26". So 103 could sure get to 3400 with a 212 from a 30". Since he is obviously going for speed a 30+ inch tube would be worth 100+ fps over a 26"

Thanks for the info. My new reamer is just a necked down version of the popular 40 degree 338 Lapua AI. And enough case taper for good extraction. It should have plenty of case capacity for most of the popular powders with all the neck too.

Jeff

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
The last 2 builds were 200 round throat life guns, they're building what your building right now..

He's been doing them off and on for 10 years now.

Bad mofo forsure.

Broz

WKR
The last 2 builds were 200 round throat life guns, they're building what your building right now..

He's been doing them off and on for 10 years now.

Bad mofo forsure.

I have had 7-Lapua's last longer than that. Did you ask how many shot strings he is shooting? Or is this a bore rider throat? He should get 800 + rounds unless it is being shot like a match rifle or the pressure is way up there, or all of the above. Not knocking anything, just comparing to my own experience and this has my interest.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
I have had 7-Lapua's last longer than that. Did you ask how many shot strings he is shooting? Or is this a bore rider throat? He should get 800 + rounds unless it is being shot like a match rifle or the pressure is way up there, or all of the above. Not knocking anything, just comparing to my own experience and this has my interest.

Thanks
Jeff
The last reamer' s builds are going 700+ rounds without accuracy loss, they're just a 30- 338 lapua A.I. I can get you in touch with Tim if you'd like, you guys definitely share some common interests.

Sounds like this new reamer has too steep of shoulder and the bore rider throat. They're getting a new one made.