300 Norma vs 300 Ultramag

WRO

WKR
Been shooting an ultra for a couple years now with no complaints, looking at going to a norma for my next build. Looks like similar performance (possibly slightly better with norma seated out farther in the mag box)

Thoughts?

ams

WKR
I am interested in this same topic and will be following. The rifle build I spoke with you about as of right now will be a 300 rum but I am still wondering if a 300 Norma would be better. My main attraction to the Rum is there is decent factory ammo available especially from Barnes but not everybody has my “lead free” problems.....

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
I am interested in this same topic and will be following. The rifle build I spoke with you about as of right now will be a 300 rum but I am still wondering if a 300 Norma would be better. My main attraction to the Rum is there is decent factory ammo available especially from Barnes but not everybody has my “lead free” problems.....

Plenty of preloaded lead options with great bullet now for the 300 norma.

I wouldn't expect more performance from a Norma than a rum as they have enough less case capacity. I'm looking forward to Peterson and Lapua brass. I and it seems a bunch of other people are experiencing issues with sticky extraction from the Norma brass web expanding after 2 or 3 firings. Custom dies might fix it but neither my forster or whidden dies resize this part of the brass.

Other than that, Norma has some sex appeal.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
I wouldn't expect more performance from a Norma than a rum as they have enough less case capacity. I'm looking forward to Peterson and Lapua brass. I and it seems a bunch of other people are experiencing issues with sticky extraction from the Norma brass web expanding after 2 or 3 firings. Custom dies might fix it but neither my forster or whidden dies resize this part of the brass.

Other than that, Norma has some sex appeal.
I just got access to a 300 yago reamer, I'm thinking about that now..

Something about a 230 running 3250 that seems interesting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pluckem

FNG
I was going back and forth on a .30 cal gun for quite awhile. When Lapua announced they are coming out with 300 Norma Brass and Peterson wont be that far behind I decided to go with the Norma.

The 300 Norma will not match the ballistic performance of the RUM. With a 26" barrel the Norma should be at around 3100ish fps with the Berger 215gr, 2950ish fps with the 230gr.

I chose the Norma because the reviews over the last few years seem to provide a wider margin or window, if you will, on the sweet spot for load and accuracy. I also wanted a shorter barreled stick which also seemed to favor the 300 Norma.

One potential negative of the 300 Norma is the larger bolt face requirement (338 Lapua). Depending on action manufacturer this can really add some bulk and weight to the gun. In my instance, I was going to buy a custom action for whatever I chose, and Defiance offers the larger bolt face and bolt on the same action platform as the standard magnums so going this route really didn't add any weight.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
I was going back and forth on a .30 cal gun for quite awhile. When Lapua announced they are coming out with 300 Norma Brass and Peterson wont be that far behind I decided to go with the Norma.

The 300 Norma will not match the ballistic performance of the RUM. With a 26" barrel the Norma should be at around 3100ish fps with the Berger 215gr, 2950ish fps with the 230gr.

I chose the Norma because the reviews over the last few years seem to provide a wider margin or window, if you will, on the sweet spot for load and accuracy. I also wanted a shorter barreled stick which also seemed to favor the 300 Norma.

One potential negative of the 300 Norma is the larger bolt face requirement (338 Lapua). Depending on action manufacturer this can really add some bulk and weight to the gun. In my instance, I was going to buy a custom action for whatever I chose, and Defiance offers the larger bolt face and bolt on the same action platform as the standard magnums so going this route really didn't add any weight.
I only get 3k out of my 230s in my rum with a 26" pipe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Either looks great if you don't mind torching off 20 more grains of powder to gain 200 fps on a 300 Win mag.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
My 300 Ultra is getting 400 FPS over the Win Mag with 20 grains more powder. It also has a 28" tube

I'd imagine my 230 Berger Norma load is somewhere closer to 120 fps and 10 grains more powder than a WM with same bullet and powder.

mtmuley

WKR
I'm 17 years into the RUMs. Used to be it was pretty economical to shoot as far as a big .30. Still is if you are invested into it like I am. The quality brass argument is moot these days between the two, as it is a bitch to get the Ultra brass reasonably anyway. With the amount of actions and factory rifles (or semi-factory) available, I'd go RUM. mtmuley

SNOW JW

FNG
So how much weight gain is there going to be on a action on RUM vs Norma

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I can get 3050-3080 with a rum 230s and VV570 in a 26 inch barrel

Working on a 300 Norma right now for a friend and its around 2960-2975.

Last edited:

mtmuley

WKR

Working on a 300 Norma right now for a friend and it around 2960-2975.

Used to be the RUMs were hard to beat for fps per dollar. Now brass prices and availability have come into play. I'm 18 years into them and won't change. Always guys looking for extra, but in a big magnum, the RUM based cartridges are still tough to beat in terms of a cost versus performance comparison. mtmuley

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Used to be the RUMs were hard to beat for fps per dollar. Now brass prices and availability have come into play. I'm 18 years into them and won't change. Always guys looking for extra, but in a big magnum, the RUM based cartridges are still tough to beat in terms of a cost versus performance comparison. mtmuley

We are working on importing a lot of Bertram brass. And most of it is 300 RUM but some 300 Norma as well:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
What about ADG? I have nearly 350 pieces of Remington Brass, some still new. Don't want to change, but may have to especially with the current developments. Anybody looking to get rid of Remington stuff, PM me. mtmuley

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What about ADG? I have nearly 350 pieces of Remington Brass, some still new. Don't want to change, but may have to especially with the current developments. Anybody looking to get rid of Remington stuff, PM me. mtmuley

I gave up on rem brass a long time ago
I went Bertram because I average 12 firing out of it. Compared to 4 out of the rem brass. Never used ADG but I would image it’s better than Rem brass. It has to be!

6f4ce7c0a5a899e0a019692380360ca9.jpg

On another note. I would take a RUM every time. More HP and all of mine have been extremely accurate. And I dont give a shit about action length...... just one dudes opinion. But the Norma is the new sexy beast. :)

Last edited:

mtmuley

WKR
Gone as far as 5-7 load on my Remmy stuff. When I got into the RUM game, Remington was all there was, and I stuck with it. Found a bag of 50 new the other day in my man room that I've had a long time. Paid 38 bucks for it. Damn hard on barrels starting over. mtmuley

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
If you are starting form scratch on this build I would recommend going with a CIP length mag well option.
Gain a little on your COAL for seating the heavies out further.

R

Working on a 300 Norma right now for a friend and it around 2960-2975.

Using N570 in the Norma? Mine seemed to like low 3000s with rl33 and around 2940 with H1000 with 27" barrel.