Reloading Tikka 7mm Rem Mag

I want to start reloading but want to see what results may be possible. I now the mag box will limit COAL especially with long/heavy for caliber bullets.

I want to reload 160 gr Nosler Partitions to start with and I want this as a hunting load so will not want to single feed it. I want to try to develop a half minute load. I currently can shoot 0.75 to 1 min with 3 different factory loads. Will the magazine length limit my results or is it still possible. I don't want to buy the equipment needed and not be able to improve. I will also reload a savage 30-06 and 243 so I still may jump into it.

For those of you that reload Tikkas can you get the accuracy your looking for with decent velocities and still keep them in the mag box?

No I am currently not looking into switching out bottom metal and going to AICS style magazines but I know this is an option

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I load my 7-08 tikka to factory mag length which means a decent jump to the lands, I have loads for that gun that are 1/2MOA turf. Tuning the powder charge for barrel harmonics is one of the ways reloading improves accuracy, also more consistency vs box to box of ammo purchased at different times. Seating depth is just one factor in tuning equation.

wildcat33

WKR
160gr partitions are pretty stubby. You man not even have a mag box issue with those.

3/4 moa groups is a happy place with factory ammo. You may be able to improve on that with reloading, maybe not. Reloading takes time, especially to do it well - and a significant investment in equipment. If you need a hobby I would say go for it. But factor in how much match grade ammo you could buy vs return on time/money of reloading equipment.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, if you aren't shooting a ton and are shooting factory offered load combos there isn't a huge benefit to reloading if you are hunting medium range and less. Reloading is the long game (amortize equipment) and assembling combinations not otherwise offered (there are many bullets that aren't offered in certain combinations of loaded ammo (if at all). Know anyone in your area that reloads whom you might be able to piggy back on to test some load combinations out before diving into your own gear? If you are hinging the decision on improved accuracy mainly.

OP
T
It would a hobby. My main goal is improved accuracy and to shoot more often. At $40 box for premium ammo its not inexpensive to shoot. Range time for me usually consists of American Whitetail 139 gr as that holds about 1.25 MOA, the 154 gr held MOA or better but I can't find it around where I live right now. Its a better price at about $25 a box.

The whole process intrigues me and the initial investment, while substantial, doesn't worry me to much as I really only need to buy most of the items I want once.

I really just want to see how far I can take it accuracy wise between my 3 rifles and my skill and I think to do that I will need to reload at some point. I also start to to have groups open up at 400+ from a consistent sub MOA to 2 or 3 MOA. I now this is a combination of myself (mostly), rifle, and ammo but to get the most out of it I feel reloading is one of the next steps and hopefully will allow more practice time as well.

Last edited:
Nosler, Partitions, AccuBonds and Bal Tip bullets, ALL have, the Tangent Ogive design and , "Jump" to the Lands, in most Rifles, very well !
My .270 WSM, 140 grain AccuBonds are jumping about .090 with, slightly under a max powder chge, I'm getting 1.25 inch groups at, 200 yards,.. just over 1/2 MOA. The Magazine length/ bullet jump Bull, in Tikka's is way, overblown! I run my bullets almost touching, the end of the Mag to avoid tip damage and to have less jump and they shoot fine.

Last edited:
It would a hobby. My main goal is improved accuracy and to shoot more often. At $40 box for premium ammo its not inexpensive to shoot. Range time for me usually consists of American Whitetail 139 gr as that holds about 1.25 MOA, the 154 gr held MOA or better but I can't find it around where I live right now. Its a better price at about $25 a box.

The whole process intrigues me and the initial investment, while substantial, doesn't worry me to much as I really only need to buy most of the items I want once.

I really just want to see how far I can take it accuracy wise between my 3 rifles and my skill and I think to do that I will need to reload at some point. I also start to to have groups open up at 400+ from a consistent sub MOA to 2 or 3 MOA. I now this is a combination of myself (mostly), rifle, and ammo but to get the most out of it I feel reloading is one of the next steps and hopefully will allow more practice time as well.

Reloading for me was like fly tying, woodworking, chainsaws, and everything i else i really enjoy and get absorbed in. It is addicting and rewarding, once you get over the fear that youre doing everything wrong. I now practice shooting a lot more, and have a lot less money because i want to trick out all my rifles for max accuracy. Even still, i love it. I would also suggest doing your first load development process on a mild cartridge like .257 roberts or .223. You can learn the basics, make mistakes, and not be wasted 75 grains of powder and a .90 cent bullet every time. Also, you wont erode the throat so bad when it takes you 150 shots to find a good load. Go buy a savage axis or something to tinker with and then sell it off.