Gearing up to load for the 6.5-284...

V65Magna

FNG
So I will take delivery of my custom Savage in about 2 weeks and I'm getting tooled up to reload this thing. This is basically a "Predator" on a 116 action (long) and I opted for a 26" medium profile, 1:8 twist stainless fluted tube (no brake).

My objective for this rifle is a long range hunting rig (primarily white tail) to handle 140-147 grain pills; VLDs, ELD's Accubonds, etc. (I'd like to pick just one bullet and welcome your suggestions). I'm not sure if it's worth looking at the offerings from Barnes, as they don't seem to have anything in the 140 class but if the grooves help slow barrel wear, they might be worth looking into. Anyway, here's the rest of my plan the Norma:

1) I want to get my pet load determined as quickly as possible to avoid unnecessary barrel wear. I'm hoping to have this thing figured out within about 75 to 100 rounds. I plan on getting 100 pieces of Lapua Brass right out of the gate and hopefully they will last me a long time. I do not anneal but if the 6.5-284 Lapua brass holds up anything like the 6.5 X 47L brass from Lapua, I'm not too worried about it. I'll be using a Redding Type S full length bushing die (maybe the .289 bushing I already use in my 6.5 X 47L will be OK for the Norma as well).

2) I want the powder to be stable at temperature extremes and to not burn too hot, so as to be as kind to this barrel as possible. My Powder choices are narrowed down to either H4831sc of H1000 at this point. I've also had good luck with the Alliant powders in other applications (RL-15, 22) but from what I'm seeing, it seems like the Hogden chioces are the go-to for this cartridge. Thoughts?

3) I'm planning on starting out with a CBTO at .020", like I always do. I've heard that some VLDs actually do better with a longer jump but I want to seat at a point that gives me the best compromise between accuracy and throat wear. So for a given bullet in this cartridge, if you have "jump" that works for you (knowing of course all rifles are different) I'm all ears.

Thanks guys,

V65Magna

coop2424

WKR
In my 6.5x284 I worked up with H4831sc and found max and backed off that. After working with seating depth I ended up .020 off lands and that was my load. I am using the 143eld-x with Lapua Brass. My rifle is savage 116 with a McGowan 27” barrel. With the 4831sc I am at 2915fps with great es and sd. I did do some load work with 7828sc and got another 75fps but have not finalize a load with that powder yet and not sure I will since the 4831 shoots so well.

GLB

WKR
On the new barrel, more often than not it will take about 150 rounds or so for it to settle down. The new barrel will usually continue to speed up until then.

OP
V

V65Magna

FNG
In my 6.5x284 I worked up with H4831sc and found max and backed off that. After working with seating depth I ended up .020 off lands and that was my load. I am using the 143eld-x with Lapua Brass. My rifle is savage 116 with a McGowan 27” barrel. With the 4831sc I am at 2915fps with great es and sd. I did do some load work with 7828sc and got another 75fps but have not finalize a load with that powder yet and not sure I will since the 4831 shoots so well.

Thanks. The 143 grain ELD-X looks pretty impressive. What charge weight did you settle on with the H4831sc? I'll need a starting point (I promise to back it off a safe percentage):cool::cool:

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
52gr of H4831sc with 140 vlds in my 6.5x284 at 2927 fps. I know guys are getting better speed with retumbo but with how accurate mine shoots H4831sc Im not going to bother trying it.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Research "ladder test", you should be able to find a good load that is within a barrel node in less than 50rds.
I will also echo GLB, give your rifle a break in period first.
Lastly, if you use Lapua brass you should still anneal every few loads to keep consistent neck tension because the brass will work harden.
For my 6.5's I neck turn Lapua to about 0.013" and use a 0.290 bushing, which gives me about 0.003" tension.
Im working up a load for a friends Savage 6.5x284 with Lapua brass, H1000, and 147 ELD's. PM me later for details.
Good Luck.

OP
V

V65Magna

FNG
Research "ladder test", you should be able to find a good load that is within a barrel node in less than 50rds.
I will also echo GLB, give your rifle a break in period first.
Lastly, if you use Lapua brass you should still anneal every few loads to keep consistent neck tension because the brass will work harden.
For my 6.5's I neck turn Lapua to about 0.013" and use a 0.290 bushing, which gives me about 0.003" tension.
Im working up a load for a friends Savage 6.5x284 with Lapua brass, H1000, and 147 ELD's. PM me later for details.
Good Luck.

Thanks. After a decade of reloading, I'm still learning alot but annealing is not yet in my repetoire of tricks. I suppose I will get there, however. I should have the Savage by the end of the month and be tooled up for it (optic, dies, etc., as resources permit) by late spring so I will PM you after I get on paper.