Any reason to NOT use my 30-06 for “long range” hunting?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi guys,

Sorry for the dumb question, I’ve spent my life hunting big game but my longest kills are under 500yds. I’ve never really messed with precision shooting and long range shooting but now I’m starting to get the itch to get proficient at longer distances.

My normal rifle is a kimber Montana 308 with a leupold 2.5-8 that’s what I use for sheep and caribou and I’m fine with that set up in the 500yd range.

My “backup”/moose rifle is a Winchester 70 extreme weather in 30-06, right now it just has a 3-9 on it. So I’m wondering if it makes sense to just slap a SWFA scope on it and get to the range or if the 30-06 has some inherent weakness at the long range game and I should just buy a rig designed for what I’m trying to do.

This is getting a bit long winded but the 30-06 has a timney trigger in it and it’s a very accurate gun but when I look on the long range forums there’s very little discussion of the 06 being used in this role.

Thanks!!!

elkguide

WKR
Most people like to have a little bit more energy when you get out at that range.
Both calibers will do the job if you can do your job.
Lots of practice and if you're comfortable/confident......
take the shot.

Broz

WKR
What is the twist rate of your 30-06 barrel? If it a 1 in 10 I think you could load some great LR bullets and it may surprise you.

Jeff

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You know, I’m not sure what the twist rate is, I’ll have to jump on the Winchester website and see.

I’m on my phone now so even forums are slow (rural Alaska) no WiFi in my house so it’s like 2g service.

Apollo117

WKR
Absolutely nothing wrong with using your 30'06 as a LR hunting rifle and round. The reason you don't see it discussed much is because it's not the new caliber on the block and therefore does not get the hype other calibers are currently getting. Look at some load data for 180+ grain bullets and some Hornady Superformance powder. You'll find the 30'06 is right on the heels of the 300 WSM, which many people often use to hunt LR.

If you want some perspective, I have a somewhat similar 30'06 rifle that I have used successfully many times. I've got a Sears branded Winchester model 70 in a Hogue skeletonized stock and a Nikon Monarch on top of it. I load 165 grain Hornady SST's behind 56 grains of RL 19. This setup has taken several 200+ pound hogs from less than 50 yards, to shy of 300 yards. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any farther. Also, I haven't recovered a single bullet yet. All have passed through with great exits.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Just wanted to give some explanation of why I think the old school 30'06 is still up to the task of LR hunting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Is it a 1000 yard elk gun.. NO. But when I first started getting into LR hunting I hunted with a guy that shot a few elk with an 06 at around 700 yards with Nosler 200 ABs and it worked just fine.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi thanks,

I have no intention of going out and winning 1000 yard competitions, I’d just like to build the skills to competently shoot a bit farther than I already do.

I suppose another option would be to just take the weight penalty and put a bigger scope on my kimber.

mt100gr.

WKR
Set your 06 up for some extended range shooting and see if you dont get the bug:)

It bit me hard some years back and i set up a 7mag first to stretch things out. Then came a custom 300 I had purpose-built for LR hunting. A few months back I dusted off a Tikka Superlite 30-06 and am getting it dialed in for a lighter weight mid range rifle. 400-700ish max. Realize the Tikka is 11 twist so it's somewhat handicapped. I am working with 185 vlds currently but the numbers elude to it packing enough stuff out to about 700 for shots on game. If it was a 10 twist I would probably be lobbing 215s at a modest velocity just because. This rifle has some proving to do but the 06 is definitely capable.

I have a 28" barreled 06 TC waiting scope less (havent shot it in 10 years) that does have a 10 twist barrel. It may come out of the mothballs at some point just to see...

Anyway, the science and the technical aspect of the LR bit is almost as fun as the shooting. Start with a rifle you have and learn as you go. If nothing else, you will gain a better understanding of what your particular rifle's strengths are or aren't.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Right on, I think I’ll order up an swfa 6 or 10 x42 and play around with it.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The only reason not to that I've encountered after using one for the last 4 season's is having to listen to all the idiots who say you can't!!!! It's exhausting!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
You know, I’m not sure what the twist rate is, I’ll have to jump on the Winchester website and see.

I’m on my phone now so even forums are slow (rural Alaska) no WiFi in my house so it’s like 2g service.

It's a 10 twist and should easily stabilize 200 grain bullets.

JP100

WKR
Nothing wrong with the .308 and 30-06, a hot .30-06 is right on the heels of a 300wsm
All depends what you terming 'long range' shooting/hunting. For some people long range starts at 300, others 500. Some guys dont think its long range until its 1000.

I have shot game(goats) out to 700-750 with a long barrel .308 running 168s A-Maxs, thats about the end of the life of .308 I think personally for hunting, a 30-06 will get you a bit further with the right bullet.

For me anything over 500 is getting out there!

The 178gn ELD would be worth looking at I think

Right on, I think I’ll order up an swfa 6 or 10 x42 and play around with it.

You may want to go to a 4X14 or 15X power for "long Range" and a 180-200 grain AccuBond,.. is great advice !
The higher magnification, is better for shooting Groups and for "verifying" your "Dial" at, longer ranges!
I tied a 3X9 for a while (wanted, a light weight scope) then went back to the 4.5X14 and almost cut my Groups, in half !
The 178 ELD-X might be another good choice, as stated above.

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
With that 10 twist tube, I would be loading some 215 Bergers over H-1000 and a Fed 210 Primer. If it didn't provide the best results maybe H-4831. I have seen these bullets from 308 Winchesters in both 10 and 12 twist at 4100' ASL. They are pretty impressive abd work very well for LR target or hunting inside there limits to expand the bullet. My experience with that is about 1600 fps.

Jeff

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks everybody, I’m starting the research on a suitable scope, i do t really want a telescope and I don’t have thousands of dollars to spend so this is going to be sort of a budget “LR” setup.

I think you will have a great set-up when you are finished. The 30-06 does not get the love and respect that it deserves some times. The 30-06 has won the Wimbledon 1000 yard match a few times so it can't be that bad.

Man a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm Gold Ring scope with the B&C reticle should be a great match on that rifle for shots up to 500 yards anyway. My son has that scope on his 6mm Remington and it works great and I also have the exact same scope on my 280 AI. My first animal shot was a really nice cow elk at 450 yards. One shot and she went about 20 yards and tipped over.

Hard to beat the 165-200 gr. Accubonds in the 30-06. They expand and penetrate well at distances. I know because I have tested them, the Partitions, and the E-tips at ranges from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards in 1-gallon water jugs. Pretty impressive. All three actually did very well and I was more than surprised at how well they held together and penetrated.

V65Magna

FNG
No reason at all. In fact, Carlos Hathcock would be honored by such a noble pursuit.

gbflyer

WKR
I have one that sends a 212ELDX downrange at 2550 with Superformance powder. Still moving along at 1800 at 675 yards.