Tikka Shooting Factory Ammo

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to pick up a Tikka in either 7rm or 300wm and shoot factory ammo out of it as far as it will let me (500-800). The real intent is a rifle for elk that realistically I hope not to shoot more than 400, but with the proper practice, be prepared for more. I get a good deal on Hornady stuff, cheaper than you could reload if for probably, so here were my thoughts:

7rm shooting 162 ELD-x factory loaded precision hunter
300 shooting 200 ELD-x factory loaded precision hunter

I've read about the tikka's twists being a little slow and the mag being short. Would these work? Which way would you go? Obviously if they don't shoot I will have to try something else. Any other suggestions on factory ammo for either of these?

If I'm way off base and should go a different route on gun, or caliber I wouldn't mind hearing that either.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a T3x 7 mag and it shoots the factory 162 eld-x very well. I’ve shot rocks out to a little over 1000 and killed some critters last year with it, nothing too far but I think it’s a pretty good set up.

A tikka with a 4X14 scope only weighs, 7.5 Pounds so,.. think TWICE about, the .300 Mag !
My .270 WSM is enough "Fun" (recoil) for me ! Remember, ACCURACY,..Kills !!!

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Any other experience shooting decently far with factory ammo out of these Tikkas?

Jon Boy

WKR
Thanks guys. Any other experience shooting decently far with factory ammo out of these Tikkas?

Decently far is a relative term. If you just want to target practice I'm sure its fine for as far as you want to go. From reading your other thread it sounds like you want to dabble in long range hunting. But to be honest, there is no dabbling in long range hunting. You're either in it to win it or you're out. I spent a lot of money figuring that out. After 500 yards things get real. Don't expect to buy a tikka t3, slap a vortex scope on it and feed it factory fodder and be on your way to smacking elk at 700 yards. It doesn't work that way.

Trial153

WKR
I gave a t3x to my dad in 7mmRM and it shot factory 162 grain interlocks very well.

I've got a T3X in 7mm Rem Mag... it shoots 168gr Berger VLDs really well. Havent taken game with it yet, but it's very accurate and I'm confident a bullet in the right spot will soon turn into meat in my pack.

ELD-X shoots pretty well also, but I thought the Bergers were a bit more accurate for me.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are right. I dont have the time or energy to go all in on the long range game. I want something that I can kill an elk or mulie out to 400-450 with confidence. I intend to gain confidence by practicing at longer ranges, 600-700 yards once a month. I am kind of leaning towards a Tikka 300wm shooting the Hornady precision hunter 200 eld-x if they agree with eachother. The purpose is really to have something that will exceed that task as long as I do my part. Recoil isn't much of an issue to me as has been suggested. I shoot a lot of 12 gauge slugs and 7mm's for people prior to gun season here in WI. Usually sight in about 10 rifles/slug guns in one sitting.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Decently far is a relative term. If you just want to target practice I'm sure its fine for as far as you want to go. From reading your other thread it sounds like you want to dabble in long range hunting. But to be honest, there is no dabbling in long range hunting. You're either in it to win it or you're out. I spent a lot of money figuring that out. After 500 yards things get real. Don't expect to buy a tikka t3, slap a vortex scope on it and feed it factory fodder and be on your way to smacking elk at 700 yards. It doesn't work that way.

One of the best answers I've read in a long time!

I would guess that I shoot a lot more than most people and with some of the best tools money can buy, but some days the wind and that 750-yard gong make me look really stupid. Knowing and learning when not to shoot is the most important part of the whole LR game and you can only get that through LR practice.

Last edited:
OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan I agree, I guess what I am looking for is inexpensive with the ability to practice out of my comfort range. Tikka rifle, about $600 into a decent scope and factory ammo to shoot paper out to 6 or 700 yards. Can this be accomplished with a factory load hypothetically, and if so, what factory loads would you start with? If I can shoot decent at 700, a realistic shot on an animal should be around 450 yards. My long range experience (lack thereof) includes screwing around with a 243 out to 550, and shooting a few coyotes just a hair past 400 with a mil-dot scope. Proudest shot was just shy of 400 using the mil dots to comp for wind at 20mph.

Shooting a 243 out to 550 is pretty far. Especially if it was with factory ammo and you did it somewhat successfully.

My Tikka 7 Mag shoots 3/4 MOA at 100 with 160 gr Nosler Partitions at 400 this opens to consistent 1.5 or 2 MOA. 162 grain Eldx ran about 1.25 to 1.5 MOA at a hundred and held that out to 400. The range i use only goes to 400 but hopefully I can find some places to stretch that this summer as I am just starting to reload.

I will say yesterday I played with a 243 and some american whitetail 100 gr ammo. I weight sorted the 20 round box and had 3 shells at 203.4 total weight, 4 at 204.6, 4 at 205.7, and 3 at 207.5. The rest fell somewhere inbetween. The 2 lowest weights shot 0.5 MOA at 100, the 205.7 shot 2 MOA and the 207.5 shot 3.5 MOA. Not all factory ammo is consistent or well put together so I would recommend keeping to the premium loads and find a bullet your gun likes. A lot of times in the past I have thought my rifles shot one ammunition well and chalked bad groups up to a flier or just me. After yesterdays test it made me wonder if the past shots that I know I held well and broke the trigger well and missed were just a different weight factory ammo. A half a grain of powder can make a big difference at a hundred and a huge difference at 500.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I do not pretend to be a long range shooter/hunter, just some personal experience of shooting in general.

KurtR

WKR
Get some good ammo for the .243 and practice every week once a month wont cut if your really want to be good at shooting to 500 yards on game when you are jacked on adrenaline after running up the mountain. There is a reason all the guys who are winning comps are shooting 6mm flavors and not 300. Sighting in a few guns and i shoot a lot of 12 gauge are nothing compared to getting behind a 300 and shooting 50 plus rounds at a sitting. Practice is the king when it comes to this. Trigger time is paramount to what you want to do with alot of dry firing thrown in there. Get the 300 to shoot at the elk practice with the .243.

Broz

WKR
Ryan I agree, I guess what I am looking for is inexpensive with the ability to practice out of my comfort range. Tikka rifle, about $600 into a decent scope and factory ammo to shoot paper out to 6 or 700 yards. Can this be accomplished with a factory load hypothetically, and if so, what factory loads would you start with? If I can shoot decent at 700, a realistic shot on an animal should be around 450 yards. My long range experience (lack thereof) includes screwing around with a 243 out to 550, and shooting a few coyotes just a hair past 400 with a mil-dot scope. Proudest shot was just shy of 400 using the mil dots to comp for wind at 20mph.

There is a reason we bought all this factory ammo. If you want a 300 win mag, don't be talked out of it. The selection of good factory ammo for it is there, and with a good brake recoil is not an issue at all. However I would not buy the Tikka, their short mag box and 11 twist barrel is a poor excuse for a 300 win. Besides, although some Tikka's shoot very well, for every one that does, there is one that does not.

Jeff

IMG_20180315_095132450_zpsf16ewqoj.jpg

Last edited:
OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, thats a collection. Jeff any recommendation on a factory gun besides a Tikka? I've read a lot of your stuff on here in the past week, and I know thats not your thing, but if you have any insight on it I would greatly appreciate it?

Broz

WKR
Wow, thats a collection. Jeff any recommendation on a factory gun besides a Tikka? I've read a lot of your stuff on here in the past week, and I know thats not your thing, but if you have any insight on it I would greatly appreciate it?

The closest rifle to you budget is the Christensen Arm MESA. Justin Crossley here on Rokslide has one in 300 win mag, and I am pretty sure he is fond of it. I have one in 6.5 Creed that shoots like a custom. I set people up to do what you want to do all the time, only most want to shoot to 1000. They all get 300 win mags. We live in elk country and sooner or later that bull will be across the canyon at 700 to 800 yards. I want them to have the ability to reduce wind drift for proper bullet placement, and have enough terminal performance to anchor that bull before he is out of sight.

Jeff

Edit to add: This is my sons factory rifle, shooting factory ammo. Not a 4 or 5K$ custom, not the most expensive scope we could buy. But there was one shot fired across canyon winds and there is a dead elk where it stood over there.

23795623_1774602082571178_155073303140274941_n_zps2bnysgjv.jpg

Last edited:
OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think it would be more advantagous to put this on the backburner for a few months and buy the MESA as opposed to trying to jump in too soon and getting something else? Where would you start with the scope?

Broz

WKR
Do you think it would be more advantagous to put this on the backburner for a few months and buy the MESA as opposed to trying to jump in too soon and getting something else? Where would you start with the scope?

I would, but only you know what will work best for you. If you want a scope that is pretty inexpensive and will "get ya going for now" have a look at the SWFA SS. I set one up on a tight budget for a friend and it shot fine and still is. I took a 25-06 with factory ammo to over 900 with it. Review here SS 10x42

Jon Boy

WKR
You guys are right. I dont have the time or energy to go all in on the long range game. I want something that I can kill an elk or mulie out to 400-450 with confidence. I intend to gain confidence by practicing at longer ranges, 600-700 yards once a month. I am kind of leaning towards a Tikka 300wm shooting the Hornady precision hunter 200 eld-x if they agree with eachother. The purpose is really to have something that will exceed that task as long as I do my part. Recoil isn't much of an issue to me as has been suggested. I shoot a lot of 12 gauge slugs and 7mm's for people prior to gun season here in WI. Usually sight in about 10 rifles/slug guns in one sitting.

You're on the right track for what you want as of now, however if your anything like me you will go down the rabbit hole of long range and 500 yards will just be the start. I went down the same road you are describing, bought a 7mm remmy superlight and slapped a viper on it and was shooting factory ammo great out to 500 yards in perfect conditions. After that I soon realized that things weren't adding up. I learned everything I know (and still have a LOT to go) from scratch, and probably could of saved some money along the way but it was a great way to learn. PM if you'd like and Ill share that info with you as it is a novel that took place over 2 years.

I love tikka rifles and have never been around one that wouldn't shoot under 3/4 moa with handloads, but they are likely the worst factory rifle to buy in a 300 win mag if you are married to that chambering for reasons Broz has mentioned.

TWG0572

WKR
I have a 300wm tikka t3 Superlite and it does just fine with the short magazine. If you’re only going to shoot factory ammo the magazine isn’t going to be a problem. Mine shoots factory Nosler Trophy Grade 180gr Accubonds 3/4 MOA at 100 yards and will bust clay pigeons at 600 all day, that’s as far as I have shot with it.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Still looking at this. I went to Cabelas and look at the CA Mesa and Ridgeline. Broz, what advantages do you see with the Ridgeline over the Mesa for the application that I will be using it for? Mostly hunting, and getting proficient shooting longer distances.