Best way to learn

OP
Where's Bruce?
I have a whole new respect for you LR shooters today. I ATTENDED THE PRECISION RIFLE CLASS AT FRONTSIGHT YESTERDAY AND WAS A BIT OVERWHELMED. I will admit the course actually discouraged me from attending the precision rifle shooting courses because I realized that the time necessary to learn accurate long range shooting to the point I would feel confident taking a long shot on game animals greatly exceeds my available free time and given the immense effort necessary to understand shooting in wind, I do not think I will live long enough to master that “art” and it would be unethical for me to shoot “at game” without absolute certainty of a lethal hit. I shoot game, not “at game” and that was the overall reason for my complete and utter loss of interest in pursuing long range shooting training.

No reflection on the lecturers or course material, just my personal realization. I figure if I take a 600-800 yard shot and actually kill what I’m aiming at…I still have to hike over there to retrieve it. If the shot is off, I have to find that spot (hopefully) before I can begin trailing blood. Currently I just stalk up on the animal(s), get in tight and slip an arrow in their vitals…and with one exception they have all expired within 45 yards in sight. I don’t take shots I’m not 100% certain of. Plus I enjoy getting in among the game and those close encounters are serious adrenaline…especially when you’re up close and personal with big game like bison and moose. But I learned enough yesterday to know long range ain’t for me.

So now my goal is to find a superior shooter to assist me in zeroing my 300wm & .308 in at 200yrds and figuring out how to use the MOAR retical in BDC fashion for 300-400 yard shots...I won't shoot game beyond that and I won't have to worry about adjusting for wind with heavy bullets in that range. Hopefully I can find a sharpshooter to help me get my rifles to this point...i'd rather burn ammo practicing than waste it attempting to figure out the correct parallax and 2nd focal plane ret marks. I'll pick a magnification and stick with it. Heck, I'm not even certain the gun shop mounted these scopes squarely, gonna take someone with more experience than I to check em. (((sigh)))

if your not wanting to take a coarse because there expensive which is where im at the book the long range shooting handbook by ryan cleckner is a great spot to start. its alot easier to understand than many of the long range shooting books ive looked into and read partially. many of the long range books are like reading a physics text in collage (way over my head). Ryan also has a podcast (going ballistic) and a youtube channel which have helped me a lot.