Rebarreling dilemma 6.5-284

Pwells10

WKR
Hey guys, I'm rebarreling my Tikka into a 6.5-284

I'm wanting to shoot the heavier rounds such as 143eldx, 140vlds, 156EOL, etc. What twist should I go with?

1:7 6groove
1:8 6groove
1:8 5R

I posted on Facebook and had a few great responses. Just wanting to hear from you all on your opinions and experiences. I will say I'm really favoring the 156 EOL that I'm wanting to try out once it hits the market.

Brendan

WKR
Hope the OP doesn't mind, but a quick 6.5-284 question. I'm considering one for a future build (I have a Remington 700 LA I need a project for, or I might consider a short action cartridge, and already have .308 and 300 WM)

Any experience with shorter barrel lengths? 22" or 24"? Or, am I going to just end up with speeds similar to a 6.5CM just burning a lot more powder?

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Hey Brenden, don't mind at all! I'm new to this round so I'm welcoming the questions.

Also, just curious, why would you want to go with that short of a barrel? And if you're wanting to re-barrel, order from xcaliber barrels. Right now on any barrel they have 25% off. I ordered the cryogenics to be done to the barrel so I got my blank for 250. If I didn't do cryogenics, it would've cost me 172.50 for a blank. Rediculeous price!

Broz

WKR
It is dependent on bullet weight and powder burn rate, but if you use 20 fps per inch from 22 to 28" of barrel length on the 6.5 -284, I bet you will be close.

Jeff

Brendan

WKR
Also, just curious, why would you want to go with that short of a barrel?

Mentioned it a little above, but I have a R700 Long Action - so has to be a long action caliber. Already have a 6lb scoped .308 with an 18" barrel, and a 9lb scoped 300WM with a 26" barrel and brake. Trying for a rifle in the middle of those two that's lightweight, easy to carry, etc, but not the featherweight that the .308 is. No urgency on my part, but I do want to put the action to use eventually as it was my Dad's on a prior rifle.

So - 6.5-284 seems to fit the bill for caliber, but I would like the rifle to be shorter and easier to handle than my 300WM when needed, even though that's not all that heavy itself.

Long action does not require a long cartridge. In fact, strictly speaking the 6.5x284 is a short action cartridge, just like it's parent case the 284 Winchester. Most people build a 6.5x284 on a long action so they can seat the long, heavy bullets out further. That being said, 6.5x284 is a fantastic cartridge, as are most caetridges built off the 308, 284, or 30/06 parent cases. Assuming your 700 has a standard bolt face, you might consider a long action 260 rem, which would be quite handy and would work efficiently in a shorter barrel.

There's some interesting reviews on this site and others of xcaliber barrels, they might not be a great choice for a cartridge like the 6.5x284 which is already notoriously hard on barrel throats. I think it was actually broz who cut one in half to show extensive fire cracking after less than 100 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Long action does not require a long cartridge.

You're right, I worded that poorly. It should be a cartridge that will work well in a long action. It's more of a "What's more appropriate" in my situation with the guns I already have. I don't have anything in between 300WM/.308win and my .22LR, and I have the long action to build off of. If it was a short action I'd probably build a 6mm Creedmoor , which I may end up doing anyways, but 6.5x284 keeps getting my attention...

Barrels - I'd personally probably lean towards Hells Canyon or Christensen Carbon but I'm not the expert there...

@ Brendan, Have you thought about, the .270 WSM Cart. with, a 1-8 or, 1-9 twist, shooting the New Berger, 170 Grain Bullet ?
Can't remember, the BC but, it's pretty high and would work great, in a "Long action", with lots of good Rem .270 WSM Brass being avail.
That "combo" should, reach out there ! Or, a "Wildcat" .6.5- .270 WSM would be wicked !

I'm kind of surprised that, Winchester didn't "standardize" the 6.5 x .270 WSM at, the time when all, the WSM's were coming out !
The only "mistake" Winch. made was, the short neck on, the 7mm WSM as, the .270 and .300 wsm's are pretty popular with the "Hunting crowd" !

I've always wanted a 6.5 Sherman Short mag. Instead, I live vicariously through all the people on here building rifles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
If anyone was wondering, I went with the 1:7 since I won't be using anything lighter than the 140s. Just waiting on the barrel to get here. Should be a shooter. Tired of carrying a 13lb rifle around. I'll be doing that this weekend bear hunting.