Buddies new LR 300 RUM

270quest

WKR
So my good buddy just picked up a new rifle. He is a hunter - not a reloader, rifle looney, or anything like that - so when he buys a new rifle, I usually get to do load development for him and put it all together - I surely don't mind..lol

Anyways, new rifle is the new Remington 700 AWR in 300 RUM. Has a 26" 5r barrel that finishes around .650-.660 at the muzzle, stainless action that is fully cerakoted in graphite black. Sets in a Grayboe stock. The rifle is really put together well - Remington did their QC's on this one. The action is smooth as snot - not tikka smooth, but close. The trigger is the only downer - its heavy 5-6 pounds, but we are switching it our for a Timney 510. The stock is very well cut with clean lines and is a direct copy of a Remington classic - BUT, it is HEAVY - Stock weighs 39 oz. Gun bare weighs 8 pounds exactly. But with it being a 300 rum that wont have a brake - that's not the worse thing in the world. I glass bedded it today, and the timney should be in tomorrow to install.

We are topping it with the new Zeiss Conquest v4 4-16x44, with zbr moa reticle and turret. At first glance, the scope is a WOW. The optical view is phenomenal - what you would expect from a high end zeiss. The zero stop is awesome, easy to set, and stops on the spot every time with no creep. The turret is a 20 moa turret and is crisp. Not NF crisp, but still very good. Weight is 22 oz. Still need to actually shoot it and check its dialing, return to zero, ect - but at first glance, Zeiss hit a home run. To top it off, buddy got this one as a show demo for $700 - it would be a hell of a deal at full $999 retail.

Scope is mounted in a 1 piece warne rail and burris extreme 6 hole rings. It does come in a bit heavy at 9 pounds 12 oz, but again this is a LR rifle in 300 rum that won't have a brake, so the weight should be fine.

We have Norma Brass, Fed 215's, H1000, and 200 grain accubonds and 212 Eld-x bullets. Hoping to get out next week and start load development and get some good scope testing in.

BviBKS5.jpg

vAPA687.jpg

4V6eSwV.jpg

cGhyuSa.jpg

G1pKdsV.jpg

mtmuley

WKR
I like those AWR's. Give Retumbo and RL-25 a go. My .300 is around 8.5 lbs. It bites a bit. Not for the sensitive for sure. mtmuley

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I like those AWR's. Give Retumbo and RL-25 a go. My .300 is around 8.5 lbs. It bites a bit. Not for the sensitive for sure. mtmuley

What type of setup are you running? You have been running the 300 rum for quite a while right?

mtmuley

WKR
What type of setup are you running? You have been running the 300 rum for quite a while right?

Yeah I've been packing a RUM awhile. Saw my first one at the RMEF Convention in 1999. Had to have one. Bought mine in 2000. Remington 700 BDL SS. New stock and a trigger massage. No load data at all when I started. I've used a bunch of different loads, and settled on the 200 grain Accubond. Not cool and sexy like Bergers (I've used them too) but they kill and kill well. It's a rifle I can carry anywhere, but when needed can stretch it some. Great cartridge. mtmuley

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm on my ninth Rum and don't think you buy a better all around LR caliber. You can build them packable and shoot them deep.

mtmuley

WKR
Ryan, have you ever measured the case capacity of the various brands of brass for the .300? mtmuley

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
We have Norma Brass, Fed 215's, H1000, and 200 grain accubonds and 212 Eld-x bullets. Hoping to get out next week and start load development and get some good scope testing in.

So how did this turn out? These are the same components I use in my RUM with 212s. I found the most consistent results with the 212 at .020" off with 87 grains of H1000 in Norma brass primed with a CCI250.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
The 200 grain accubonds produced good velocities but not the accuracy wanted - 1-2.5" groups - velocitys up to 3200 FPS. Plus the recoil was quite heavy - so the rifle is at the gunsmith getting a muzzle brake and opened up for a wyatts extended box mag. Once its done, going to start over with Retumbo and the 212's....

RumLover

FNG
Good looking rifle. I've got two 300 rums one around 11 and one around 16 lbs with the Scopes. Both like Barnes 200 lrx's over 91.5 grains of retumbo. The Barnes ttsx design likes to jump to the lands. I think mine are about 0.050 off the lands, which works well in the AI mags I use. I've had good groups with accubonds and Berger's as well, but haven't killed anything with them. I'vey killed 4 mulies with the LRXs at ranges out to 650 m. Every one dropped where I shot then. You just can't beat the massive energy dump of a RUM. I'm hoping the new Christensen MPR eventually comes in 300 RUM, the weight savings over my current rifle would be worth a try. Good luck with the load development.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Reccomend N570 over bullet of choice. Mine pushes the 215 berger @ 3250 with no pressure signs and .4 MOA