300 Norma twist?

Broz

WKR
I am using an 8 in my new big cased 30 build but its not a Norma. A 9 would likely do ya, but why not use a twist that will retain as much BC as possible way out there.

Jeff

OP
T

Totoro

WKR
Well Jeff, great question Jeff.

The 9 is on the shelf the 8 is 6 months out.

And I am not very patient 😉

Broz

WKR
Well Jeff, great question Jeff.

The 9 is on the shelf the 8 is 6 months out.

And I am not very patient 😉

Have you tried Bench Mark Barrels?

In a recent discussion on another GREAT forum, the differences between a 300 RUM and a 300 Nancy oops I mean Norma were discussed. Case volume is so close there really is no reason to go Norma as far as Performance is concerned. Especially when you can shoot a RUM loaded to the lands with a 230 and cycle it from an extended mag box. I am shooting one now. Thus the reason my new 30 I am building is going to be a 30 Lapua AI. If I cant get a performance gain I will shoot the RUM.

Just food for thought.

Jeff

OP
T

Totoro

WKR
I have Jeff, thanks to you and Ryan.

In fact, I have shot BM barrels and pleasantly satisfied; frankly there isnt any noticeable accuracy differences I can appreciate from the top tier tubes.

But I am trying something different, credited to you, a carbon tube a'la EO.

Still researching options but still havent made up my mind.

I could suspend the build and order up the 8twist and wait for the 245 EOL to come out or to shoot the 230 SMK.

But my lack of commitment is putting me further behind schedule for this season.

What a drag, I gotta pick 😉

OP
T

Totoro

WKR
+1 I would like to know as well about 9 twist stability for the 245 EOL Berger.

If it is as long as the 230 SMK, I would think 8 twist.

WRO

WKR
+1 I would like to know as well about 9 twist stability for the 245 EOL Berger.

If it is as long as the 230 SMK, I would think 8 twist.
I heard it from one of the MOA guys at a show, I could be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Sadly, I can't use either of them. I can only hunt with lead free bullets. My family won't eat meat shot with lead bullets.
I've killed my fair share of critters, and eaten wild game since I was a kid. I can't remember ever finding lead or copper in my big game meat.

OP
T

Totoro

WKR
+1 @ WRO

snake, the old addage, what they dont know wont kill'em, LOL.

But I applaud your efforts to put meat on the table while keeping the family happy!!!

Broz

WKR
I've killed my fair share of critters, and eaten wild game since I was a kid. I can't remember ever finding lead or copper in my big game meat.

I am in this club too. I guess if you cut the meat you soon see the real threat is more hype than reality.

Jeff

If you limit yourself to supersonic ranges, go with a 9" or even a 9.5" twist for the 230's out of the Norma or a RUM. They can be a bit less finicky with load development. If you anticipate ELR ranges where you're going transonic, spin that thing as fast as it'll go.

Mike

Broz

WKR
Two questions, within reason, and knowing this is a long range forum, and assuming optimizing long range means high BC bullets, how can the faster twist hurt? And two, Why are people afraid to twist their new long range barrel using what we know today about what it does for BC's?

Jeff

CameraZOOM-20180419151701114_zpsrsn0f92k.jpg

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Two questions, within reason, and knowing this is a long range forum, and assuming optimizing long range means high BC bullets, how can the faster twist hurt? And two, Why are people afraid to twist their new long range barrel using what we know today about what it does for BC's?

Jeff

CameraZOOM-20180419151701114_zpsrsn0f92k.jpg

I don't know, I'd guess the common assumption is that it may hurt velocity.

The bigger issue is availability of fast twist barrels. In the proof I just ordered, the fastest listed for a 30 was 1 in 9.4. I was considering a 27 caliber for a while, but finding a 1 in 8 twist barrel that I wanted was not as easy as I thought. (Note this may have changed as that was a couple years ago on the 27)

One of my kids found a bullet fragment in some elk. I thought I had got all of it, but had missed a piece.

That incident led to one of my kids finding this article about the dangers of lead in game meat, and it was game over. Nobody would eat anything I shot after that. I had to give away a bunch of meat in the freezer and start over.

Lead in ammunition contaminates game meat -- ScienceDaily

WRO

WKR
One of my kids found a bullet fragment in some elk. I thought I had got all of it, but had missed a piece.

That incident led to one of my kids finding this article about the dangers of lead in game meat, and it was game over. Nobody would eat anything I shot after that. I had to give away a bunch of meat in the freezer and start over.

Lead in ammunition contaminates game meat -- ScienceDaily

That study was based on small game shot with shot guns, not elk killed with bullets. There is an agenda behind that type of science, its not objective.